Anyone have a wireless card with 440BX chipset?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, I DID post in wireless networking, and I think I was the only one there in three years. There were cobwebs on the web pages!
Just need to know if I am on the right track to get a MSI PC11B wireless PCI card working on my ver.1 BE-6 orig bios.
Thanks for reading,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't get it, are you having a problem yet or asking if you will? The BX chipset is compatable with EVERYTHING (as far as PCI cards go), that's one of it's main strongpoints.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for answering, Crash. Yes to both. I am attempting to install a MSI PC11B WIRELESS LAN card on my 440BX ABIT BE6 board and cannot get the drivers installed. I am suspecting that since the Wireless revolution came about 3 years after I bought the board, maybe the chipset wasn't compatible with the Wireless card, ie, has no clue in hardware for operation of wireless cards. It is the original bios from 1999.
I am running XP Pro, but it won't put the icon in the tray or do anything when I click on the Program File icon. It just runs HD for 2 seconds and then the busy cursor goes away and nothing.
Is this a better explaination? I need to know if anyone else has got a wireless card to work on a 440BX chipset motherboard. That is my question. If anyone has a wireless network on a 440BX, then I know to go ahead and try to solve the problem, but if no one has one operating, I can return the card or change the Motherboard to a newer chipset.
Thanks,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I have a better solution. Uninstall the drivers, remove the card, and put it in another slot. Then reinstall the drivers.

I've ran wireless lan cards on old TX chipset Pentium 1 systems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, then that was a YES, right, you have ran wireless on a 440BX chipset? Thanks, and btw, I have been reinstalling and installing and removing for about a week now, on and off. The chipset JUST WON'T SEE THE CARD in any slot, I have tried three. And I have deleted and removed ALL other drivers for wired LAN that were on there before. Now I can try other drivers for the same chips on the Wireless Card.
Thanks,
Take-Out

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
are you sure the card is not dead...i was pulling my hair out over running a 3com nic card on my system...windows would detect it but i could not succesfully install drivers for it...tried it on 3 very diffrent systems (3 diffrent os's)...finally i concluded it was just a dead nic

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I installed one on a TX chipset. That's an older chipset made for the Pentium 1, it uses the same southbridge. In fact, it's the Pentium 1 version of the LX, and the LX is the original version of the BX.

So it's not an age nor southbridge problem. Did you try setting PNP OS to NO?

If you set PNP OS to NO, you'll get a short configuration screen just before boot, just after the POST and system info. If you hit "pause", you'll see what IRQ the card has. If it has no IRQ, it's not being detected and must be defective.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, early BIOS for BX boards often had ACPI problems. You could try updating your BIOS.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I am not sure the card is not dead. I edited my post to reflect that after a while, and am in the process of having to uninstall all my other LAN devices from my second computer I use ( I have about 8 computers here in my "Family Room/Computer Workshop" with my wife and daughter and me) regularly so I can try that. I am assuming that these cards SHOULD light up when energized, however, this little bitch has the holes for the lights and something that I guess COULD be LEDs, but they look like little plastic lumps.
Gosh, I'm glad I don't make a living from this cause I would retrain, it is bad enough as a hobby. Will post results, but don't hold breath, cause my wife is cooking eggs and spam and toast, and I'm gonna eat for hours, heh.
Thanks for the advise,
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, and it was reset to No for PnP system, too. I changed it to YES quite a while back before reinstalling again a few times. I am beginning to think it may be a dead card, since I get absolutely NO indication that the card is even there, no light on card, no anything. I will try to see the IRQ later, right now I am going to try it in another good computer, and have it out already. But first I eat eggs and spam, yum yum.
Thanks Crash,
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, that is what I am suspicious of . Appreciate the advise.
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, uninstalled the net stuff from another computer and installed the Wireless MSI PC11B in it and this time it at least saw it correctly and asked me to install it. Well, I did about 23 different ways, and it wouldn't take, but this time it said won't start "Code 10", but of course, it fails to de-cypher the little message, and there is no chart I can find to translate it. Seems the "Code 10" would probably take about as much space as the phrase "Code 10".
I could get the older drivers that won't do anything to load, but the newer drivers that might won't load at all. HEH HEH HEH.
BTW, the second computer has an ASUS Motherboard with an AMD chipset 761. I have just about had it for the night, gonna kill some terrorists on Counter-Strike and make them pay for MSI's goof-ups.
Thanks
Take-Out

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
that means the device the driver is supposed to load is not present...i think you have a faulty card...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, Hey, thanks much, is that what "Code 10" means or just what you make out of it, not that your means is any less.
I think you are right, now that I think about it. It would still know what kind of card it is and brand cause the ID chip is probably externally powered, right? And then it wouldn't load the drivers, cause it don'tn't workeded.
I am going to can it Monday unless something good happens or someone has a bright idea and send it back to Newegg, thank God for their excellent return policy, not like $35 will kill me, but hey, I can use that elsewhere, like a 30Gb harddrive they been letting loose with for peanuts.
Okay, thanks, buddy.
Gotta Go Schleeep
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Been building computers for gaming for 5 years now, and guess what, never did flash a bios yet, haven't had to and seemed like a real pain in the ass. And ya know what, it is getting easy enough lately, I may try it.
Thanks Crashdude,
Take-Out

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I flash BIOS with impunity, I've never had a problem.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ah, yes, but a great talker-gizmo-fixer-yakky-wise-techno-troubleshooter like you knows all the little tricks to a wholesome and contented flash.

To tell the truth, I yam a late-comer to the puter scene, never had a use for them till I played TORUK-Dinosaur Hunter and was hooked on first person gaming. Then I needed faster and faster computers and vido cards and configurations to power my NEED for dominance on the monitor screen. I just think it is SSOOOO COOOOOL the way video games can depict reality and fantasy. So I learned a lot so I could build my own computers for less and customize them for gaming and pretty soon I was building them for family and friends and co-workers. But since my first encounters were with Win98SE and now XP, I never had a need for DOS stuff other than easily remembered FDISK, FORMAT C: /S, setup, and stuff like that. YUP, I yam DOS challanged and admit it.

But someday, I thought I would have to learn to flash bios, and then I see bios being updated with WINDOWS! Yay, maybe I can get by with being DOS bios flashing ignorant. Boy am I lazy. Oh well, I go to work and do stuff all day, so maybe I can be lazy with my hobby.

Thanks for the pep-talk, tho
Take-Out

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
how dos illiterate can you be... ok this is how you do it...if you have windows 98 ommit the first step...and just open up a dos prompt

1 restart with a boot disk
2 at the promt type this format A: /s
if you don't want to overwrite your startup disk then when it tells you to insert a disk in the drive remove your startup disk and insert the disk to be writen to...

3. once the format has completed go to the board manufactuerers website and download the bios (read the readme...probably the only think you have to do is type awdflash or something like that...some manufacturers even add a batch file so you have to do nothing)

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks a bunch, I will keep this, but somehow I don't think it all was transcribed to the forum from what you wrote cause you must do something with the bios you downloaded, right.
And it is not cause I'm dumb, just lazy and ignorant, that I haven't done a bios flash yet. But this may get me a-moving to update some motherboards I have around here.
Thanks again,
Take-Out

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well after you download the bios follow the readme...normally they either tell you to unpack the bios (it is normally compressed) into a floppy disk...or the whole thing automated and it just tells you to insert a floppy into the drive and it will do the rest..

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, buddy, I guess I would have figured it out, but it is nice of you to finish it out. Have a great day, I am going to save these 2 posts.
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I put my Athlon XP in my Diablo, it would be faster than your k6 in a Ferrari. Heh, I wish I had one to spend all of my money on in maintenance.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hmmm...well depends which ferrari we are talking about...i think if i put my chip in an enzo it would go pretty damn fast...

I am still waiting for tickets to go to the international space station...that thing orbits pretty damn fast!

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, well, I mean, er, uh, hmmmm. Oh, I know, I put my Athlon XP in a F40. Yeah, that's the ticket, MY F40, or A F40 that is. YEAH.