Total: 74 votes (6 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 26 %
  • No
  • 58 %
  • Maybe after 6-8 months
  • 18 %
October 18, 2009 5:59:08 PM

According to a recent audio cast featuring Rob Bowling from Infinity Ward, COD Modern Warfare2 will not support dedicated servers. Infinity Ward hasn't released much information so it's still very vague but users will have to use Steam together with something called IWNet to find players and then games will have to be hosted on a local machine. No dedicated servers represents a huge fundamental change for the PC multiplayer community which will effect modding, mapping, match making, etc. and it only seems logical that the quality of bandwidth would be dependent on the local machine connection.
October 18, 2009 6:28:41 PM

Welcome to the world us PS3 owners face. The reason PS3 owners dont pay to play on line is because there are no dedicated serves, instead relying primarily on P2P for multi player on line gaming - and 99% of the time it works just fine.
October 18, 2009 11:22:16 PM

I posted somthing about this already.
Related resources
October 19, 2009 12:22:48 AM

I could care less about on line game play. I haven't been able to compete with the few clowns who always seem to "own" the servers. Going 70 and 10 proves to me that the exploits can't be controlled. This includes COD2 and COD4. I always have a very low ping but can't keep up with the other players. Perhaps having "home based" servers like a lot of us are used to playing on will make things better. Any of the very few other games I played on line I was always able to compete.
I also don't like the "perk" set up. I don't have the time to play hour after hour to gain perks so I can be better or to compete on equal ground like my 12 year old neighbors kid can. Each time a player enters a game, either a newbie or a hard core gamer, I think things should be equal. After all, how can you have fun with your limited game play time if you're out matched before you even get started ? Games are supposed to be for fun, right ?
As far as the game....... I might purchase it for $30-$35 in the future, and only for SP play, but not one of the COD series were truly worth more than that.
October 19, 2009 5:11:33 AM

This is a major shock to many of us who are heavily involved in the COD community. My clan already had 2 other smaller clans set up to rent server space from our server box, that income is gone now. Most of us were getting quite excited about setting up our servers and getting our clans together for a nice new game. However that doesn't seem like it will happen as we won't be able to really get our clans together on these new server types, nor will we be able to really hold scrims that we can control.
Infinity Ward has really "screwed the pooch" on this one. It seems that many PC pre-orders are being canceled (including mine) because of this, there is a petition online currently that last I checked at nearly 420000 signatures.
Here's the petition if anyone cares
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis...
October 19, 2009 6:16:06 AM

it also means no TWL or any clan compition. I think Tom's should put it in the news for tomorrow. But the said thing is people will still buy it becuase they want to play it. I say wait for a few months and hope that they will realse a patch that will alow dedicated servers. Also note that PB is not the Anti hack/cheat system used this time. It's VAC.

The funny thing is it is the same engine as CoD4 MW so the maps can be streamed most likely from MW2 and imported to MW1.
October 19, 2009 1:45:53 PM

The fact that there is no demo and no proper press release with complete information means they probably don't have everything worked out and the public will end up paying to be beta testers.
October 19, 2009 2:54:50 PM

This is completely screwed up. As a PC gamer, I don't mind game delays, some bad ports, but this just goes over the top. One of the best PC developers (or at least they were) completing screwing the PC gaming community.
October 19, 2009 3:25:12 PM

I doubt we won't have any dedicated servers down the road.... This is what has driven the CoD community for so many years..... Hopefully they will fix this issue before IW goes downhill.....
October 19, 2009 4:22:59 PM

Swifty...maybe you didn't find the right server for what you're looking for. This is one of the issues about dedicated servers. Lots of server admins and clans have devoted a great deal of time and effort to mod the game, control the chaos and provide a server promoting team play, sportsmanship and respect for players. Not everybody plays run 'n gun. Try one of the tactical clans.
October 19, 2009 5:44:47 PM

Agreed. I'm semi-retired from clan membership right now (majority are self centered jerks), and this kills the online community. You can no longer mod games the way you want (adjusting weapon specs for fairness, disabling Airstrikes, etc).

For a PC based series, this screams of "Sell out".
October 19, 2009 6:32:39 PM

DCOOIE....... never thought about tactical. I have limited time to play so I never put a lot of effort into it I guess.

GAMER K3........... you can mod the game. I did it with the second or third COD WWII game.. For the weapons you need to work on the INI files.......... if you look for a program called Nips Weapons modder......... made for ini files and neatens them up so they are easy to read and understand and make changes in - vs the old notepad/wordpad way if you know what I mean. You then use pakscape and in stead of the pk3 extention you make it .ini. Works fine. This is the pakscape with the green "label"...pakscape 4 is out and not sure if works the same or not.
October 20, 2009 12:52:01 PM

swifty_morgan said:
GAMER K3........... you can mod the game. I did it with the second or third COD WWII game.. For the weapons you need to work on the INI files.......... if you look for a program called Nips Weapons modder......... made for ini files and neatens them up so they are easy to read and understand and make changes in - vs the old notepad/wordpad way if you know what I mean. You then use pakscape and in stead of the pk3 extention you make it .ini. Works fine. This is the pakscape with the green "label"...pakscape 4 is out and not sure if works the same or not.

Doesn't mean anything if you can't host modded servers. Sure, I can change my local game, and so can everyone else. But at the end of the day, as we can't host private servers, we are slaves to Activisions default settings. Of course, these changes would instantly be picked up as hacks, and everyone would get banned.

If you can't host servers with modded content, then theres no real point to modding teh game to begin with. Activision sold out, plain and simple.
October 20, 2009 2:17:16 PM

Well I pre-ordered the game (PC) and it looks like it will be released towards the end of Nov..... Hopefully I get my moneys worth....
October 20, 2009 4:41:27 PM

Quote:
Well I pre-ordered the game (PC)

Why? They're charging too much for what they're delivering plus they're using you as a beta tester. This has "sucker" written all over it. We (you) deserve better.
October 20, 2009 4:43:34 PM

My clan has all dropped preorders etc. We run 2 dedicated servers for Cod-MW and we police them. One is a normal server with a few basic rules and the requirement that people act like mature adults. Other wise they get kicked/banned. We run punk buster and frequently will spectate people looking for cheaters. Those we get perma-banned through PB. We have a mod server also for custom maps and games etc.

We are really devastated / pissed off by this. We all play together with a large group of regular non-clan members who love our server. Thats the reason I ended up joining the clan, as this is one of the good servers that doesn't tolerate stupidity, cheating etc. Its a high skill level server also. When I first started I got my ass handed to me, but now I generally do fairly well.

We where greatly looking forward to having MW2 servers and continuing to play together their. Now we will keep our MW servers up and look to the future for other games. And yes, we participate in TWL 4v4 HQ ladder leagues.

[MD] Wolvan
[Man Down]
October 20, 2009 4:53:20 PM

dcooie said:
Quote:
Well I pre-ordered the game (PC)

Why? They're charging too much for what they're delivering plus they're using you as a beta tester. This has "sucker" written all over it. We (you) deserve better.

They will not be using anyone as a beta tester. The game was finalized months ago. The issue here has to do with the dedicated servers being available to the pubic and from what I have seen so far its a no-show. This does not mean that SP will not be playable... If they decide not to add dedicated servers to the game down the road then the franchise will collapse for all of us that play the PC version. Meaning the console version will be the only one worth playing for most...
October 20, 2009 8:57:06 PM

Oh, I'm buying BF:BC2 because of this decision. Activision screwed up, big time on this one. Not even ALLOWING dedicated servers was a huge, huge mistake on their part.
October 20, 2009 9:02:02 PM

Well BF Bad Company sucked in my opinion, specially since it was a console port only. To this date I still play BF2 on my PC since it is the only ALL OUT game that exists. Hopefully BF3 will live up to its name, would be nice to see a DX11 version of such a wonderfull game....
October 21, 2009 2:09:20 AM

This sucks, i've played counter strike for years now then i tried out the COD4 promod, badass game its almost got all the good stuff from CS so i was ready to buy MW2 until i heard theres no modding OR dedicated servers, i live in south america and i play with 5 ping on the dedicated servers in my country thats not gonna happen anymore, so theres no way im gonna spend my money on this POS.
October 21, 2009 12:11:24 PM

True on BF2 being the best, but its so old, everyone just wants to move on at this point...
October 21, 2009 2:28:47 PM

I liked BF2142 but then I can cope with the future...

But anyway, what about flashpoint, is the multiplayer on that pants?
October 21, 2009 2:36:30 PM

gamerk316 said:
Oh, I'm buying BF:BC2 because of this decision. Activision screwed up, big time on this one. Not even ALLOWING dedicated servers was a huge, huge mistake on their part.

Will BC2 be available for PC?
October 21, 2009 6:47:54 PM

Yes. And I noticed a lot of the fine points on some of the maps remind you of BF2 (pipes outside a building, etc). Early word seems to be more generalized classes (spec op/sniper merged back into Recon class, for example), but more specilization seems to be avaliable.
October 21, 2009 6:56:52 PM

=( comes out in March 2010
October 25, 2009 1:00:09 AM

I take IW/Activision recent actions as an attack on PC Gaming and intelligent gaming overall, and the attack is premeditated and I would say fraudulent due to the timing. The attack had to be planned for many months due to the coding involved, but they did not disclose anything to their loyal base of clans, squadrons and communities who use dedicated servers, mods, and play tournaments, matches etc. with the long list of CoD games. They allowed this loyal base to pre-order the game, spend money preparing dedicated servers etc etc, knowing that this move would destroy their type of PC Gaming.

I will no longer buy any games published or developed by these companies until they apologize for their organized attack on PC Gaming and the PC Gaming Community.

Please sign this petition if you support PC Gaming: http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html - 152,772 petitions have been signed in the past couple of days.

Regards,
October 25, 2009 6:11:13 AM

The poll above asks if I will purchase this game.

I will not.

What has been made quite clear with this calculated move against the communities that helped to make CoD what it is today, is depth of the apathy that both Activision and Infinity Ward have for their loyal fan base.

The fact that Beta was closed to the public seemed an odd move at the time, but it is now clear that this was part of an attempt to conceal the lack of support for dedicated servers and mod tools until the 11th hour when many would already have recieved their preordered games.

The most despicable aspect of this, is that Activision/IW knowingly allowed people to put money down for servers and place pre-orders for this game under the assumption that the same support for the PC gaming community that we all enjoy now would be present in this latest release.

I may not be able to single handedly derail the commercial success of MW2, but I can assure IW they have lost at least my $60. I'm not entirely certain that would change even if there is a re-evaluation on the part of IW/Activision and support is added for mod tools and dedicated servers at this point. The true nature of the companies involved has been revealed for all to see.

I prefer not to do business with people of such base character.
October 25, 2009 12:37:14 PM

Ixad,

That is exactly what I think as well. The calculated deception and fraud is what bothers me the most about this action, along with the obvious attack on PC Gaming. These are not companies that I want to do business with. I have told my wife not to buy any Activision or Infinity Ward games for Christmas for any platform.

Regards,

Ixad said:
I may not be able to single handedly derail the commercial success of MW2, but I can assure IW they have lost at least my $60. I'm not entirely certain that would change even if there is a re-evaluation on the part of IW/Activision and support is added for mod tools and dedicated servers at this point. The true nature of the companies involved has been revealed for all to see.

I prefer not to do business with people of such base character.

October 28, 2009 2:25:30 AM

dcooie said:
Take a look at this interview with Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

http://www.geeks.co.uk/7282-activision%E2%80%99s-bobby-...

Their vision of a "good" game is based on the profit margin.

Superb!, he comes across as such a lovely chap. I'd like to invite him over my place so he could examine my collection of sharp pointy things.
October 28, 2009 4:32:06 PM

Way to spit right into the faces of the true hardcore gamers, and the people that got your franchize where it is today. Ill never buy another game from them.
October 28, 2009 4:32:46 PM

But I'll sure pirate one. :) 
October 28, 2009 4:34:48 PM

Borderlands is what i picked up instead from my reserve money for CODMW2, and im very happy with that purchase. Thanks Gearbox software for not being Corprate Whores.
October 28, 2009 4:54:54 PM

I'll be the first to addmit, i know stuff all about stuff all, when it comes to computer terms. I have only been playing COD4, for about 3 weeks and love it, and yes, i was considering buying MW. (but after my recent experinces with PB and getting kicked all the time!) Now i can only play on dedicated servers!
I now have a lot of doubt about blowing $100 on a game that so far has caused a lot of frustration. Stuff them, I'd rather go back to Lawn bowls and spend those $'s chatting up some lonely old dear at the club. Sorry about the frankness, but when you're my age, life has it's limits and that sought of money is not that easy to come by. Thanks for the posts guys. you have saved this OldFella some heart ache.
October 28, 2009 4:57:04 PM

I had pre-ordered the game and went back to game-stop to switch it to L4D2...
October 28, 2009 8:15:21 PM

gamerk316 said:
Now that I know what the opening sequence is, I've gone so far as to consider a lawsuit to get the game banned, period.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/modern-warfare-2...

Maybe I'm mistaken, but haven't you threatened lawsuits against several video games? If so, how have those past ones worked out?
October 28, 2009 8:40:03 PM

how is it he is going to file a lawsuit? What was wrong about the video?

As far as I know there are more than 100 peeps from IW and Activision that have the game since August....
October 29, 2009 4:51:32 PM

The introduction sequence involves killing civilians and playing as a terrorist.

You don't have to do it, or you can do it without killing civilians yourself and simply being a bystander.

It is actually causing a lot of ruckus and could be a major contributing factor to lost sales for the game because of the bad PR its generating worldwide, especially in Australia and the US.
October 30, 2009 2:34:04 AM

I don't think there will be an issue with that.

The only reason that the game will not sell as well as all the other titles has to do with the "Servers" issue. Other than that the game is fine....
October 30, 2009 11:01:36 AM

In Australia games which involve this sort of content get completely blacklisted unless a softcore version is modified and released. They have laws and huge rights movements about this sort of thing.

The implications in the states are obvious, any bible belt family that discovered a child owning a game with this sort of suggestion would obviously take it from them.

I really could care less, i'm not buying the game because there will be no dedicated server support. I bought FEAR 2 and Call of Juarez 2, I won't buy another game which is dependant on P2P matchmaking.
October 30, 2009 4:33:20 PM

It makes me wonder who is running the show over there at IW. They really seem determined to screw up. What the heck were they thinking to put civilian murder into the trailer?
October 30, 2009 5:27:58 PM

This is nonsense, MW1 single player intro consists of Terrorists capturing an American Soldier and on the sidelines you can see soldiers in front of a wall blindfolded and then executed and people being tortured to death. The game never had any issues selling here in the states nor in any other country. There are movies that show harsher scenes than what we see in games and they don't get pulled either....
October 30, 2009 8:12:50 PM

ovaltineplease said:
The introduction sequence involves killing civilians and playing as a terrorist.

You don't have to do it, or you can do it without killing civilians yourself and simply being a bystander.

It is actually causing a lot of ruckus and could be a major contributing factor to lost sales for the game because of the bad PR its generating worldwide, especially in Australia and the US.

Lol, i understand how you saying church loving bible thumping families would take this from there kid, I live in Abilene Texas! Most churches in one city according to the Book of World Records...,anywho, but they prolly wouldnt have it in the first place. As far as killing civilians, when i read that all i could think of was Grand Theft Auto....If people understand correctly, a terrorist is a person "who terrorizes or frightens others". Tons of games we can be a "terrorist".
I just thought that was silly... Well you gotta love Americas Rules. Some of them at least.

Anyway......

Whats this third person view stuff im hearing about? I may have changed my mind about the game only as far as the CO-OP concept goes. I myself signed that .... brain fart!! paper dealy thing.. Protest paper um... Yea whatever.
**Petition! Finally remembered**

It is bull crap! I am going to wait on buying the game due to the fact of dedicated servers.... Maybe i will get an Xbox360 form Santa and just buy it for console!
November 2, 2009 6:52:28 PM

I too will not be buying CoD MW2, i am so f@c*ing disappointed with Acti and IW. I am now waiting for BF:BC2, EA can have my money. Acti and IW can have my money when i see dedicated servers come out. And if i wanted to wait for Steam or IWNet to find a game server i would be playing CS not CoD MW. So get with the program, Acti and IW.
!