Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sony, Intel, Google to Announce Line of TVs in May

Last response: in News comments
April 30, 2010 6:49:19 AM

I don't understand how this is better than just a dedicated computer and a dedicated TV. Because this Google / Intel / Sony TV surely isn't going to be as good as a good pc or a good TV.
April 30, 2010 6:59:46 AM

im sure it will win the ease of use, and the fact that it works out of the box as well as being probably quite low on power consumption

the setup box can be optimized in hardware just for the right use, so maximized in hardware for the cost and power consumption
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 30, 2010 7:10:38 AM

Complete with some sort of spy on the users habits hardware/software I am sure.
April 30, 2010 7:16:36 AM

Does "people familiar with the matter," really mean people-who-signed-a-non-disclosure-agreement-but-willing-to-spill-the-beans-anyway?
April 30, 2010 7:18:25 AM

Google is evil. Avoid them and their products and services at all costs.
April 30, 2010 7:25:11 AM

This may provide for some neat smart phone like features for a TV but I am failing to see the real draw to pay more money for one of these VS a normal TV. Maybe there will be some features we don't yet know about hmmmm now my imagination is going crazy. I wonder if they will try to fund these like they do cell phones? some sort of plan and they knock 400$ off the price of the TV.... but what would they add?
April 30, 2010 8:26:34 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - mor televizon!!!!! |___|
April 30, 2010 8:31:25 AM

... Sony + Google + Intel = TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION!!! ... no privacy from google and and power to do so from intel... and in the other corner could be apple and/of MS + MS Bing + AMD/ATi... ATi Xileon is in some TV's...
April 30, 2010 9:53:04 AM

I don't even have cable TV right now.
How about Samsung though? I like them a hell of a lot more than Sony. They make the quality of products I want and can still afford (somewhat).
Screw Intel though. I wonder if this is just another push for a Atom. I hate that chip...
April 30, 2010 10:16:17 AM

It's funny how my comment about Google being evil got immediately voted down and censored. It's true, you people are just too stupid to realize it.
April 30, 2010 10:17:39 AM

DjEaZy... Sony + Google + Intel = TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION!!! ... no privacy from google and and power to do so from intel... and in the other corner could be apple and/of MS + MS Bing + AMD/ATi... ATi Xileon is in some TV's...

The only problem is ATi sold it's TV chip division to Broadcom and also sold it's handheld division to Qualcomm. So maybe you mean Broadcom Xileon and Qualcomm whatever else.

babachoo said:
It's funny how my comment about Google being evil got immediately voted down and censored. It's true, you people are just too stupid to realize it.

For some strange reason, my crystal ball says you own at least one Apple product, an iPhone or a Mac, it can't decide yet.
April 30, 2010 10:54:20 AM

In resent news Google was trying to get between me and my printers. Now they want to penetrate my TVs. Spooky...
April 30, 2010 10:56:02 AM

BabachooGoogle is evil. Avoid them and their products and services at all costs.

I'd say, nobody can be trusted, especially "good" transnational multi-billion companies.
April 30, 2010 12:28:46 PM

kartuIn resent news Google was trying to get between me and my printers. Now they want to penetrate my TVs. Spooky...

No. People who buy Apple products are just as (if not more) naive than people who think Google values our privacy.
April 30, 2010 12:32:58 PM

I don't know about you guys, but for me, this joint it's too weirdo :|
April 30, 2010 1:12:52 PM

I thought Sony already made TVs?
April 30, 2010 1:53:40 PM

meh
April 30, 2010 2:14:28 PM

BabachooGoogle is evil. Avoid them and their products and services at all costs.

Agree..
April 30, 2010 2:16:30 PM

BabachooIt's funny how my comment about Google being evil got immediately voted down and censored. It's true, you people are just too stupid to realize it.

I gave you a thumb up.
April 30, 2010 2:41:06 PM

twuI gave you a thumb up.

Several people have now, and I appreciate it. It really is time to start waking up some of the sheep, because things get any MORE Orwellian, it'll be too late to look back.
April 30, 2010 3:15:40 PM

Didn't Microsoft try this 10 years ago, and fail...hard?
April 30, 2010 3:22:08 PM

I realize that this content will require support through ads, however, with a new "smart" TV could they provide ads that are geared towards me? Show me ads / commercials for the latest Nvidia graphics cards and not zit cream. If I have to see the commercials they should at least pertain to me in some fashion.
April 30, 2010 3:23:31 PM

mirazh1976Complete with some sort of spy on the users habits hardware/software I am sure.

LOL - no doubt. If your TV remote mysteriously starts driving around taking pictures for the "living room view", make sure you don't walk around the house naked :D .
April 30, 2010 4:12:35 PM

Google tracking what TV shows I watch and delivering targeted ads? No thanks.
April 30, 2010 4:20:03 PM

HalJordanI realize that this content will require support through ads, however, with a new "smart" TV could they provide ads that are geared towards me? Show me ads / commercials for the latest Nvidia graphics cards and not zit cream. If I have to see the commercials they should at least pertain to me in some fashion.

It's called Noscript, StartPage it. And by "StartPage it", I mean look it up at www.startpage.com. I haven't seen a single google ad for years.
April 30, 2010 4:39:47 PM

I think this joint venture is to counter what Samsung is doing with their top tier LED TV's, they already have web capabilities built into their TVs.
April 30, 2010 6:01:12 PM

Yes, and Samsung will use AMD and Linux soft. What about LG, Toshiba, Panasonic, they must split VIA, ARM.... and don't know who will draw the short stick for Microsoft Software.... haha
April 30, 2010 6:41:04 PM

BabachooNo. People who buy Apple products are just as (if not more) naive than people who think Google values our privacy.

But Google DOES value our privacy. It values it in the millions and that's why they're after it :) 
April 30, 2010 6:59:46 PM

This sounds stupid for quite a few reasons. most of which would be that an intel atom will be "powering" these... so i'm guessing flash and HD is out of the question, and thats a majority of online content now days, so wtf. Ppl who buy this will just be paying for a headache. Take a decent computer that was new in the past 5 years or so and hook it up next to your tv, get an dvi>hdmi cable and one for audio, install free software like boxee and get a wireless keyboard w/ a touchpad or trackball. You'll end up paying less and getting more.
April 30, 2010 10:31:33 PM

That isn't much info THG, how is this different from current tv set with yahoo's widget, except it is a little faster. Why Sony doesn't use the cell architecture rather then outsourcing to a intel's chip.
May 1, 2010 4:02:44 AM

zerapio said:
But Google DOES value our privacy. It values it in the millions and that's why they're after it :) 

Well said. I guess all the google shills have left now because your post didn't get censored like mine. I gave it a thumbs up just in case they come back.
May 1, 2010 4:44:38 AM

This is sounding good!
May 1, 2010 6:42:50 AM

Does this mean it will be easier to record live Television? And then transfer it too my computer? I'm actually getting gitty about this kind of thing for once.
a b å Intel
May 1, 2010 1:09:12 PM

I need to do some serious research and get up to speed on this TV stuff.
May 1, 2010 5:30:45 PM

Just wait for nvidia to sue google, intel, and sony for not letting them in on the fun. :|
Anonymous
February 17, 2011 12:29:50 PM

when i can tivo,ya know use as a dvr i'll be jumping up and down,and adding this product to my media solutions company!
!