p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
I've got a new system with the following specs:

MB MSI|K7N2 Delta-ILSR Motherboard
AMD|2800 / 333 ATHLON XP BARTON
1 GB 400 MHz DDR RAM
ATI|XPERT2000 PRO Video Card

I'm having trouble getting my FSB/CPU/DRAM frequencies set.

In the BIOS, it shows:
*CPU Clock (not changeable): 1250 MHz (this seems like half what it should be)
*CPU FSB Clock: 133 MHz
*DRAM Clock: 200 MHz (Not changeable)

These frequencies seem all screwed up. This is going to be a web server, so that's why the video card doesn't kick ass. I just want this machine to be fast and stable, not interested in overclocking. I'm a bit of a newbie on custom machines, so please bare with me. Thanx!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
set the fsb to 166mhz...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
hey PIII_Man, when I update my BIOS, it should support 400 MHz FSB. The correct FSB for that one would be 200 MHz? Thanx again

p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
I have two of these computers I've been building with the exact same configuration. One of them give me a "Floppy disk fail (40) or (80) error:", even when no floppy is plugged-in to the controller. then it fails to boot when i try to install windows with the following error: "disk i/o error: status=00001000 ntdetect failed".

This occurs when i try to boot from the cf too. is this pretty good evidence of a bad motherboard?

p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
I have two of these computers I've been building with the exact same configuration. One of them give me a "Floppy disk fail (40) or (80) error:", even when no floppy is plugged-in to the controller. then it fails to boot when i try to install windows with the following error: "disk i/o error: status=00001000 ntdetect failed".

This occurs when i try to boot from the cf too. is this pretty good evidence of a bad motherboard?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if you are not overclocking the correct fsb is 166mhz (333mhz sdr) about the floppy not working...go into your bios and under intigrated components disable the FD controlor/floppy drive controlor

See if that helps...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Floppy disk fail (40) or (80) error:", even when no floppy is plugged-in to the controller. then it fails to boot when i try to install windows with the following error: "disk i/o error: status=00001000 ntdetect failed".
This is the error that no floppy drive is detected during POST when you have the floppy controller enabled in BIOS, try disable it to see if it helps.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
even with the FDC disabled in BIOS (under "integrated peripherals"), it still returns "Floppy disk fail (80) error", and halts on POST requiring F1 before proceeding.

Could it be that the IRQ for the floppy was disabled? Would the FDC still return an error with it disabled and no device attached?

I'm gonna try to reset the BIOS to factory defaults and see if that helps. I'll keep ya posted.

p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
ok, here's a bit more info. I reset the BIOS, and there is no change in behaviour. Both with floppy enabled or disabled, it halts and returns an "Error 40". However:

Once it passes the floppy, it fails to detect and boot from the CD Drive. Checked the cables, changed boot order after resetting the BIOS, and no luck. switched the CD drive for another, same result. The CD media is good (installed the other server from it last night).

The IDE bus and FDD bus are not controlled by the same chip are they?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
If I remember correctly, from way back on a 486 I encountered this error when there was a bad memory module.

Try one memory stick at a time if you have more than one.

The loving are the daring!

p0rng0d

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
Flinx, gave it a try and no change. The same "Floppy 40" error came up with each DIMM singly in each slot (4 combos). Thanx for the pointer though.

The one error I did receive on one of the boots wit ha single DIMM, was an error detecting the CD drive on the IDE Bus. Instead of reading the CD drive as:

OPTORITECD-RW CW5205 180E

It read:

OP OP OP OP 52CW52CW52CW52CW52CW52

After changing the CD to the secondary controller it was fine. Then changed it back to the primary controller and it was back to normal.

Also, the RAID card in there has been significantly more difficult to configure than with the other server. I have removed the RAID card and run the drives off of the onboard controller, so I don't think it is bad. However, these are all IN-OUT bus devices. Is there a controller that works on all of these?