Error1402. Key UNKNOWNDfrgSnapin.1CLSID.

Failed attempts to install an application (Diskeeper), produce this message.

"Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
Verify you have sufficient access to that key."

I used regedit to search the registry for DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID, but no such
entry was found. (Would this absence account for the "UNKNOWN" in the error
message?)

Is this a WinXP problem (as opposed to an application problem), and if it is
an XP problem, how is it solved?

I am working in an Administrator account, running XP Pro, on a stand-alone
computer.

Regards.
7 answers Last reply
More about error1402 unknowndfrgsnapin 1clsid

    It sounds to me like there's a problem with the install routine on the
    Diskeeper software. It should have created this key prior to looking for it.

    You might try downloading it again to see if a corrupted file is the problem.

    Cycle Wrote:
    > Failed attempts to install an application (Diskeeper), produce this
    > message.
    >
    > "Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
    > Verify you have sufficient access to that key."

    I've got the solution for you and I'm sure that it works, because I had
    the same problem and it is now solved!

    1. Go in the registry editor. The top most folder listed is
    HKEY_Classes_Root.
    Right-click on this folder and select PERMISSIONS from the menu.
    2. Once there, look through the permissions listed and make sure that
    Administrators and System are both listed. If they are not, please
    refer to
    the bottom of this write-up under "Conditional Step".
    3. If they are both listed, make sure that both have Full Control
    checked on ALLOW. If they are not yet checked, click in that box and
    select
    APPLY. This will put the proper permissions through the registry and
    should
    set you up for a good installation. Once finished with this area select
    OK
    and close the Registry Editor.
    4. Once done, retry the installation of Diskeeper.

    Conditional Step
    ---------------------
    If you've found that System and/or Administrators are not listed in
    the
    permissions section, you will need to add them. To do so, click the
    Add
    Button and in the following screen type System or Administrators
    depending
    on which is missing. (You may only do one at a time). Once typed,
    select the
    CHECK NAME button which will end up highlighting the name and then you
    can
    select OK.

    Have a nice day! :)
    Revesbleus

    --
    revesbleus

    "revesbleus" <revesbleus.1sq3pr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Cycle Wrote:
    >> Failed attempts to install an application (Diskeeper), produce this
    >> message.
    >>
    >> "Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
    >> Verify you have sufficient access to that key."
    >>

    > I've got the solution for you and I'm sure that it works, because I had
    > the same problem and it is now solved!
    >
    > Revesbleus

    Hi Revesbleus,

    Thank you for sharing this information.

    When I had no response to my original query in this group, I contacted the
    makers of Diskeeper, who sent me an email containing the solution you
    mention.

    Unfortunately, that solution did not work for me. I had to have additional
    steps given to me over the telephone (and because they were never written
    down, I do not remember what they were) before things started working again.

    It was kind of you to think of me and my problem, and I appreciate your
    actions.

    Regards,

    Cycle.

    I have almost the exact same problem. I get the error:

    "Error 1402. Could not open key:
    UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
    Verify you have sufficient access to that key."

    I have also run reg cleaners, downloaded different versions of
    Diskeeper and still get the same error. What is weird is that I had
    installed DK 9 and it worked fine, but when I downloaded the update I
    got the error listed abouve on the instal. When I tried to re-install
    the original version (that worked fine before) I got the same error.
    Weird. I searched for the reg key but it does not seen to be in the
    registry. This is making me crazy.

    serch for DfrgSnapin in the registry - delete all references to it...
    you should find 4 of them... then reinstall the orig dk9. The update
    will still not install but the orig will..

    doug

    pissythehutt wrote:
    > I have almost the exact same problem. I get the error:

    PLEASE quote the post you are replying to. This is NOT a chat room.

    Thank you.

    dlenos wrote:
    > serch for DfrgSnapin in the registry - delete all references to it...
    > you should find 4 of them... then reinstall the orig dk9. The update
    > will still not install but the orig will..
    >
    > doug

    PLEASE quote the post you are replying to. This is NOT a chat room.

    Thank you.

Microsoft Windows XP