antivirus programs

I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as Norton's
program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG is
free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano
10 answers Last reply
More about antivirus programs

    I agree with John. I'd been using Norton for years and switched to AVG Free
    about 6 months ago. I actually think that it's easier to use than Norton was.

    Also, several of my friends have recently switched from AVG to Avast - I'm
    considering the switch also.

    "Luciano" wrote:

    > I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as Norton's
    > program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG is
    > free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano

    I have been using AVG Free for quite some time and like it alot.

    I wouldn't use Norton if Norton paid me to use it.

    AVG also has a pay for version, AVG Professional.

    Get Your AVG 7 for free!
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    You can get a trial version of AVG Professional Single Edition and use it
    free-of-charge for 30 days.
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/11/lng/us/tpl/v5

    AVG Anti Virus: HOME
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:79FEF2D7-23D4-4840-97CE-952D056F8E67@microsoft.com,
    Luciano <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
    > Norton's program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this.
    > Being that AVG is free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally
    > good. Luciano

    Well, you only need to get one virus that isn't detected by the program you
    are running for you to think it isn't as good.
    I have used free AVG for a couple of years and like it. I used to run McAfee
    but found its always requiring reboot after updating plus the increased cost
    of the yearly subscription caused me to change my mind about using it. I
    found on this NG that a lot of people liked AVG.
    billh

    "Luciano" <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
    >Norton's
    > program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG
    > is
    > free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano

    To " bilh", John Barnett, usama, Wesley Vogel, thanks for your reply and
    advice. I'm going to use AVG.
    --
    Luciano

    "billh" wrote:

    > Well, you only need to get one virus that isn't detected by the program you
    > are running for you to think it isn't as good.
    > I have used free AVG for a couple of years and like it. I used to run McAfee
    > but found its always requiring reboot after updating plus the increased cost
    > of the yearly subscription caused me to change my mind about using it. I
    > found on this NG that a lot of people liked AVG.
    > billh
    >
    > "Luciano" <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
    > >Norton's
    > > program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG
    > > is
    > > free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano

    I've used AVG for years and wouldn't touch Nortons. It is really is like the
    old saying goes 'you get what you pay for' Paid for versions have more
    'bells and whistles' in other words they have added features, whereas the
    free ones don't. But because you don't have all the 'paid for' features
    doesn't mean to say that the free versions are less effective. Given the
    choice i would go for AVG every time.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    Luciano wrote:
    > I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
    > Norton's program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this.
    > Being that AVG is free, I would like to save some money if AVG is
    > equally good. Luciano

    Here is a list of AV software I have tried/use and would recommend to
    anyone.

    ( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    avast! (Free and up)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
    http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm

    eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
    http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

    McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
    http://www.mcafee.com/

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    (Free Online Scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    youThank You Shenan Stanley for the links you provided
    --
    Luciano

    "Luciano" wrote:

    > I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as Norton's
    > program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG is
    > free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano

    I have used AVG 7.0 free and other previous versions without any intrusion
    or virus. I think it is great. New virus dat file is automatically
    downloaded each day when I log in.

    xrcaf Wrote:
    > "Luciano" wrote:
    > I have used AVG 7.0 free and other previous versions without any
    > intrusion
    > or virus. I think it is great. New virus dat file is automatically
    > downloaded each day when I log in.

    Hi!
    No connection to AVG, but after having used the free version for a
    couple of years I actually paid for the pro version, just as a matter
    of saying "thank's".
    The free one is just as good.
    Avast is also very good, my son is using it.
    What I like most about these programmes is that they are not intrusive
    like Norton, for example. Try uninstall any of Nortons offerings, and
    you will find you are on your way to the registry, or need special
    Norton tools.
    May your hard disk grow according to your needs!

    --
    lomaca

    I use Panda, and am pleased with it.

Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP