Display Driver stops functioning.

uber_dweeb123

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hey guys, forgive me, this is my first post, and I looked over the forum for anything regarding my issue before I posted this, nor did I see any general etiquette stickies posted, but I figured I would start a thread, and see if any of you might be able to help me out with an issue.

Recently, about a month ago, I picked up a Dell XPS Studio 8100 series bare bones desktop computer. Computer specs are an i7 930, 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon 5770, and a 500W power supply, a nice computer overall. However, the issue I'm having with it is any time I am on a web browser (Tested Opera, Google Chrome, Firefox and Explorer), or whenever I let my computer idle at the desktop, my computer monitor will freak out, flash a multi-colored grid across the computer (generally red or green squares, akin to a chess board), then flash a random color, and either go back to the desktop, or bluescreen. The computer says that it's an AMD driver display issue, however I have the most up-to-date drivers. So, I figured, maybe it's my Graphics Card, so I switched it out, and it still happens. After that, i reseated my RAM, and ran MemTest86 thinking the RAM might be bad, but it seems to be fine.

After that, I figured that maybe the Power Supply. I put it an OCZ Stealth 500W power supply, hoping that would fix it, as opposed to the native 350W that Dell puts in there. Problem still persists.

I'm at my wit's end, and unfortunately, the retailer I bought it from will not do anything about it, and basically told me "tough luck.." The odd thing about it, however, is whenever I run any other application (I run a lot of Maya / Photoshop, Illustrator, and occasionally Starcraft II) it's totally fine. It only occurs during a web based application / idling at the desktop.

What would you guys assume the problem is?

I know Dell BIOS'es aren't that flexible, but see if you can adjust the ram voltage. i7 900 series chips also seem to "prefer" to run RAM in tri-channel. They are perfectly capable of running in a dual channel configuration, but i've seen some odd behavior from dual channel setups like yours in the past. Might have nothing to do with the ram though, as I was never able to conclusively prove that the ram configuration was responsible for the issues I was seeing. Something to keep in mind though.