ga-8knxp: boot from non-raid ICH5R SATA drive?

LaughnCynic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
I'm wondering if it's possible to boot to a single SATA drive connected to the ICH5R SATA controller (SATA0_SB) when there are devices connected to the ICH5R IDE controller (IDE1).

I have a dvdrw connected to IDE1 as master and a Seagate SATA drive connected to the ICH5R SATA controller via SATA0_SB and can't for the life of me find the combination of bios settings to boot from this drive. I can install XP Pro sp1 (partition, format, install) to it fine but I just can't get it to boot that drive.

I've heard that the ICH5R controller has conflicts if hard drives are on both SATA and IDE but do cd/dvd/atapi devices get in the way too? Has anyone managed to get this kind of setup to work?

GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 w/ F5 BIOS
Pioneer A06U DVDRW
Seagate ST3120026AS 120GB 7200rpm SATA

--
Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
have you tried to boot without your optical drives connected...does that work...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

LaughnCynic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah, did that. The drive is seen and bootable with and without the optical connected when On Chip SATA is set to 'auto' in bios (remaps ICH5R SATA to one of the ICH5R IDE channels with no devices connected). Which means I sacrifice an IDE channel on the ICH5R controller. I wonder if that's the case when ICH5R SATA RAID0 is used too?

However, when I remove my dvdrw from IDE1 and set On Chip SATA 'manual'; SATA Port0 Configure as 'SATA Port0' the drive is seen (as 3rd master) but can't boot.

It would seem that if I want to use an SATA drive and boot it from the ICH5R controller I HAVE to sacrifice an IDE controller. :( Wish I knew for sure if a SATA Raid 0 was bootable without sacrificing any of the ICH5R IDE channels. Would help with future planning for expansion and deciding where to boot this damn SATA drive from. *sigh* I think I'll go back to booting it off the Silicon Image controller since I can't seem to find what mode the drive is using when the SATA remaps to IDE on the ICH5R (doesn't feel slower but I've got nothing installed to test it yet).

--

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
you try playing around with the boot order?

this is a hunch but try

floppy-scsi-ide...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

LaughnCynic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
I tried lots of different things. So many my head was swimming. ;) I've just gone to booting from the Sil3112 controller for now since the system is for my mother and not likely to see major upgrades (ie additional hard drives/raid 0/1) anytime in the next few months.

You know I probably didn't try setting floppy/scsi/cdrom because I was booting off the XP cd for install and then back and forth with the drive on the Sil3112 and ICH5R (via SATA remapped to IDE2). I plan on building another box for myself soon and I'll probably use this board again (everything but the kitchen sink on the damn thing). I will probably revisit the issue then unless I can swing the initial cost of 2 SATA drives for Raid 0 (damn high end vid cards are soooo pricey they eat up my budget). ;)

I swear I've read posts of folks booting SATA RAID 0 off the ICH5R but I don't remember if they have to sacrifice an IDE channel to do it or what bios settings they used.

--

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I've got an 8knxp booting off a single Seagate Barracuda 120gig Sata drive. You can get it to work but you have to play around to get the damn thing. Several steps that may help include:

1. ensure that you connect the drive to the correct SATA port. Sata 0 SB works for me.

2. you should then get the bios to boot from the scsi port

3. i turned all raid off to begin with and fiddled with some of the sata settings in the main bios

4. when you install windows xp and the first screen appears press the appropriate button to install drivers. You will then need to install the sata port drivers into xp. This can occationally fail but just tell xp to check your floppy again and it should work.

5. continue to boot as normal and you should be able to see your Sata drive and install xp on it.

Hope this works. I will have to admit i spent an age trying to set my PC up as i am no expert and it was my first home built PC.

If you need more info or you think that my memory has gone wrong at some point then let me know and i will double check on my system.

Jon

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!