Uncompress Files?

I have more disk space than I will ever use. If my files were not compressed
would my security scans, chkdsk, etc run faster? If so, how do I "uncompress"
c: drive?

I run XP Pro SP2 on a HP nx9010 notebook.
BobW
2 answers Last reply
More about uncompress files

    Hi,

    It won't enhance performance. Right click the C:\ drive in Windows Explorer,
    choose properties. On the general tab, uncheck the option to use
    compression. Be aware that some functions, like disk cleanup, will still
    compress older files. Other things, like uninstall folders for updates are
    also compressed by default. Most folders will have options in their
    properties regarding compression as well. But again, there is nothing to be
    gained performance-wise by decompressing them.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "BobW" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have more disk space than I will ever use. If my files were not
    >compressed
    > would my security scans, chkdsk, etc run faster? If so, how do I
    > "uncompress"
    > c: drive?
    >
    > I run XP Pro SP2 on a HP nx9010 notebook.
    > BobW

    Thanks Nutcase, I will leave it alone. BobW.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It won't enhance performance. Right click the C:\ drive in Windows Explorer,
    > choose properties. On the general tab, uncheck the option to use
    > compression. Be aware that some functions, like disk cleanup, will still
    > compress older files. Other things, like uninstall folders for updates are
    > also compressed by default. Most folders will have options in their
    > properties regarding compression as well. But again, there is nothing to be
    > gained performance-wise by decompressing them.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "BobW" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have more disk space than I will ever use. If my files were not
    > >compressed
    > > would my security scans, chkdsk, etc run faster? If so, how do I
    > > "uncompress"
    > > c: drive?
    > >
    > > I run XP Pro SP2 on a HP nx9010 notebook.
    > > BobW

Windows XP