Uncompress Files?

July 2, 2005 8:06:01 PM

I have more disk space than I will ever use. If my files were not compressed
would my security scans, chkdsk, etc run faster? If so, how do I "uncompress"
c: drive?

I run XP Pro SP2 on a HP nx9010 notebook.
BobW

More about : uncompress files

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:11:17 PM

Hi,

It won't enhance performance. Right click the C:\ drive in Windows Explorer,
choose properties. On the general tab, uncheck the option to use
compression. Be aware that some functions, like disk cleanup, will still
compress older files. Other things, like uninstall folders for updates are
also compressed by default. Most folders will have options in their
properties regarding compression as well. But again, there is nothing to be
gained performance-wise by decompressing them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"BobW" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have more disk space than I will ever use. If my files were not
>compressed
> would my security scans, chkdsk, etc run faster? If so, how do I
> "uncompress"
> c: drive?
>
> I run XP Pro SP2 on a HP nx9010 notebook.
> BobW

July 4, 2005 12:58:01 AM

Thanks Nutcase, I will leave it alone. BobW.

!