Jim

Is it advisable to perform a comprehensive backup, wipe my hard drive clean
and then re-install Windows XP Home Edition?

I upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition with
SP-2. Everything seems to be running okay, but I know with 98SE it was
advisable to periodically perform a comprehensive backup, wipe the hard drive
slick, and then re-install the OS.

Does the same thing apply to Windows XP Home Edition? I've never seen this
addressed.

Thank you.

In news:D681220B-DB65-43AA-9D32-C7E667BDF766@microsoft.com,
Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Is it advisable to perform a comprehensive backup, wipe my hard
> drive
> clean and then re-install Windows XP Home Edition?

No.

> I upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home
> Edition
> with SP-2. Everything seems to be running okay, but I know
> with 98SE
> it was advisable to periodically perform a comprehensive
> backup, wipe
> the hard drive slick, and then re-install the OS.

No, it isn't advisable with 98SE, with XP, or with any other
version of Windows. Although there are a few people who recommend
doing that, they are very much wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

> Does the same thing apply to Windows XP Home Edition? I've
> never
> seen this addressed.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is an often-quoted maxim, and
nowhere does it better apply than here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

No. If your system is running fine, leave it be.

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jim" wrote:

| Is it advisable to perform a comprehensive backup, wipe my hard drive clean
| and then re-install Windows XP Home Edition?
|
| I upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition with
| SP-2. Everything seems to be running okay, but I know with 98SE it was
| advisable to periodically perform a comprehensive backup, wipe the hard drive
| slick, and then re-install the OS.
|
| Does the same thing apply to Windows XP Home Edition? I've never seen this
| addressed.
|
| Thank you.

I have never found it necessary to routinely format and reinstall any version of Windows, from 3.1 on.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D681220B-DB65-43AA-9D32-C7E667BDF766@microsoft.com...
> Is it advisable to perform a comprehensive backup, wipe my hard drive clean
> and then re-install Windows XP Home Edition?
>
> I upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition with
> SP-2. Everything seems to be running okay, but I know with 98SE it was
> advisable to periodically perform a comprehensive backup, wipe the hard drive
> slick, and then re-install the OS.
>
> Does the same thing apply to Windows XP Home Edition? I've never seen this
> addressed.
>
> Thank you.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

No, nor was it necessary with Windows 98 or any other version if properly
maintained.
--

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it advisable to perform a comprehensive backup, wipe my hard drive
> clean
> and then re-install Windows XP Home Edition?
>
> I upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition with
> SP-2. Everything seems to be running okay, but I know with 98SE it was
> advisable to periodically perform a comprehensive backup, wipe the hard
> drive
> slick, and then re-install the OS.
>
> Does the same thing apply to Windows XP Home Edition? I've never seen
> this
> addressed.
>
> Thank you.

In spite of many people advising periodic reinstallions I've never found it
necessary. In fact my son's PC started out with Windows 95 and we upgraded
it throughout the years to Win98, Win98SE, Win Me, and finally Windows XP
using upgrade versions. Over the years he had installed and uninstalled
countless demos and had managed to get several virus and tons of adware.

However if you feel a need to do reinstalls then by all means go for it.
Just ensure you have your backups in place and have drivers for your
hardware saved. You may wish to create a slipstream version using your
Windows XP CD and the latest Service Pack to speed up the process and making
a clean install a bit easier. See here
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:57:00 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote:

>In spite of many people advising periodic reinstallions I've never found it
>necessary. In fact my son's PC started out with Windows 95 and we upgraded
You got lucky. As for wiping just for GP. that's ridiculous. The installation
alone does all that's necessary.
I've picked up some of the nastiest specifically the Trend micro virus update
that brought the machine to a standstill. Some things leave no option if you
don't have a clue what the problem is and it defies identification.

>it throughout the years to Win98, Win98SE, Win Me, and finally Windows XP
>using upgrade versions. Over the years he had installed and uninstalled
>countless demos and had managed to get several virus and tons of adware.
>
>However if you feel a need to do reinstalls then by all means go for it.
>Just ensure you have your backups in place and have drivers for your
>hardware saved. You may wish to create a slipstream version using your
>Windows XP CD and the latest Service Pack to speed up the process and making
>a clean install a bit easier. See here
>http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

TRENDING THREADS