Crytech engine... other games use this engine?

Solution
CryEngine 2 is very powerful engine capable of far more than any other DX9/DX10 engine in existence. The "horrific coding" argument is a pretty poor one considering you have probably never looked at the code. Compare the CryEngine 2 shaders to something from GameBryo (Oblivion) and you will see just how much cleaner they are. The key to this engine is getting the TOD settings right, and making the maps themselves good. The default Crysis maps, including singleplayer, do not do the engine justice at all.

randomizer

Champion
CryEngine 2 is very powerful engine capable of far more than any other DX9/DX10 engine in existence. The "horrific coding" argument is a pretty poor one considering you have probably never looked at the code. Compare the CryEngine 2 shaders to something from GameBryo (Oblivion) and you will see just how much cleaner they are. The key to this engine is getting the TOD settings right, and making the maps themselves good. The default Crysis maps, including singleplayer, do not do the engine justice at all.

Solution

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Upon looking at the screens for that game it looks like its just a modified Crytech 1 engine. The small details such as plants and characters look dated and "flat" As you stated.... I should have put Crytech 2 engine in my title.... are there any games out using that engine. I think with more time and resources new developers could use that engine and creat a great game as well.......

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/822/822535/imgs_2.html

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

I think the "horrific" part is the fact that the average person cannot use it(engine) and play the game effectivly as their PCs are not good enough to handle Crysis and the crytech engine at its best and peak preformance. One has to have a system capable of handling Crysis and THEN one can notice that the Shaders,Physics, graphics, gamespeed, FPD, Anti Alising, storyline is a legend in the making.

One would need a monolith of a graphics card(At least a GTX285) with 4 gigs of Ram and a fast CPU with at least 2 cores to fully appreciate the engine. That is the only thing that makes this game and code "horrible". The fact that the game works well for the very few of us that can take time to build their PCs to fit the specs and utilize the actual code with a great system. Only then can ppl truly appreciate the Cryengine2. However playing Crysis again with my 5850 now, I realize the physics just isnt as good as when playing with an Nvidia PhysX enabled card.