Rafo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004

Is there a way that I can get my 16 year olds password to messenger and find
out who she has been talking to?

I've been through this with my kids. After much soul-searching we decided
that we didn't have the right to snoop in on their private conversations.
Plus, if they ever found out, they'd never trust us again. I'd recommend
staying out of their account - if it worries you so much, then restrict their
access to it. An observant parent can see just as much by watching their
behavior as you can by snooping in their stuff. Also, consider this...what
they say online may just be hot air for their friends, and may not have a
grain of truth to it - do you want to act on that?

Good luck, I'm suffering with a 17 and 15 year old :)

"rafo" <rafo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way that I can get my 16 year olds password to messenger
> and find out who she has been talking to?

Try this:
Protected Storage PassView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

IamBigBrother
http://www.iambigbrother.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rafo" wrote:

| Is there a way that I can get my 16 year olds password to messenger and find
| out who she has been talking to?

Hi

If you have allowed your 16 year old her own Messenger account, then no, you
can't find what the password is. How worried are you?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"rafo" <rafo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way that I can get my 16 year olds password to messenger and
> find
> out who she has been talking to?

Hi

Very good advice. When my daughters were at that age, there wasn't 'too
much' harm that they could come to. Trying to restrict their access to the
Internet may put them off guard as well.

However, there are some message boards/forums out there that may seem
harmless by the subject - movie, actor, band, group, TV program etc. Some
of these are 'adult orientated' when accessed. Some 15/16 year olds are
accessing these sites without their parents knowledge. That is when, I
think, the parents do have a right to intervene. I'm not talking about
chatrooms - there are something different.

I'm trying to stop my 2 grandsons (3 & 7) trying to access the nasties. Got
the 7 year old to rights, but the 3 year old is another matter!!

--

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been through this with my kids. After much soul-searching we decided
> that we didn't have the right to snoop in on their private conversations.
> Plus, if they ever found out, they'd never trust us again. I'd recommend
> staying out of their account - if it worries you so much, then restrict
> their
> access to it. An observant parent can see just as much by watching their
> behavior as you can by snooping in their stuff. Also, consider
> this...what
> they say online may just be hot air for their friends, and may not have a
> grain of truth to it - do you want to act on that?
>
> Good luck, I'm suffering with a 17 and 15 year old :)
>
> "rafo" wrote:
>
>> Is there a way that I can get my 16 year olds password to messenger and
>> find
>> out who she has been talking to?

Also, I use a free program called We-Blocker to prevent my kids from going to
harmful sites. It even has an adjustable "cuss word" filter that'll block
them from sites with too many bad words.

It's available for free from here: http://www.we-blocker.com One caveat
tho' - you've got to turn off Fast User Switching in order for it to work on
WinXP.

"rafo" wrote:

> Is there a way that I can get my 16 year olds password to messenger and find
> out who she has been talking to?

Yes there is go on the lost passwords part when to sign in. It will ask for
your adress and postcode fill them in wala

Hm... It seems not much trust happens in these families. I can
understand why, because of what goes on these days with rapists and
such. But if you're kids have common sense or are raised the right
way and you feel good about it. Then you should not be having these
trust issues. I'm 16 myself, never have problems like that because my
parents not only trust me, but I trust myslef not to be stupid. Plain
and simple.

Gordon

the_man05 wrote:
> Hm... It seems not much trust happens in these families. I can
> understand why, because of what goes on these days with rapists and
> such. But if you're kids have common sense or are raised the right
> way and you feel good about it. Then you should not be having these
> trust issues. I'm 16 myself, never have problems like that because my
> parents not only trust me, but I trust myslef not to be stupid. Plain
> and simple.

PLEASE quote the post you are replying to. This is NOT a chat room.

Thank you.