System restore question

If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore to back
to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that computer still
infected?

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore question

    Hi

    The system could still be infected - depending on where the virus installed
    itself on the hard disk/partition. It could also be dependent on which
    particular trojan infected the system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore to
    > back to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that
    > computer still infected?
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    It was: Backdoor.Win32.Spyboter.gen removal. Any idea if this one is that
    smart?

    --
    Nocturnal

    http://www.spywaretalk.org

    > Hi
    >
    > The system could still be infected - depending on where the virus
    > installed
    > itself on the hard disk/partition. It could also be dependent on which
    > particular trojan infected the system.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore to
    >> back to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that
    >> computer still infected?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nocturnal
    >>
    >> http://www.spywaretalk.org

    Hi

    There some details here about it:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.spyboter.a.html

    You may get more info from your posting in the security_admin NG.

    --

    Nocturnal wrote:
    > If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore
    > to back to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that
    > computer still infected?

    You can use this for 30 days free
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/
    Download the latest database and replace the old file, the website will tell
    you how to do this.

    When you open this program it will do a quick scan for any active trojans
    when this is complete,run a full system scan under "system testing" takes
    about 1 hour,if a trojan is on your system this will find it.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Personally I suggest that you disable System Restore, which unfortunately
    will dump all your System Restore Points, and then take steps to remove the
    virus/trojan and finally re-enable System Restore again. While this sounds
    extreme it is the only way to be sure that you won't reinfect the system
    again if you run System Restore in the future. The trojan you are referring
    to has the ability to restart itself each time Windows is restarted. It is
    possible that a System Restore Point has already been created that contains
    the trojan.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > It was: Backdoor.Win32.Spyboter.gen removal. Any idea if this one is that
    > smart?
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > The system could still be infected - depending on where the virus
    > > installed
    > > itself on the hard disk/partition. It could also be dependent on which
    > > particular trojan infected the system.
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > >> If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore to
    > >> back to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that
    > >> computer still infected?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Nocturnal
    > >>
    > >> http://www.spywaretalk.org

Trojan Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows XP