Admin User

Hello:

The controller at one of my client sites got a new Windows XP machine and
configured his user ID to be an administrative user on that machine.
Although he was successful in accomplishing this task, he somehow in the
process accidentally deleted the "Administrator" user ID that comes loaded
with the operating system.

He and I worked on trying to recreate this user, but perhaps that user
cannot be recreated. Can it? Is there another way of "retrieving" this user
ID?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

Jim

childofthe1980s wrote:
> Hello:
>
> The controller at one of my client sites got a new Windows XP machine and
> configured his user ID to be an administrative user on that machine.
> Although he was successful in accomplishing this task, he somehow in the
> process accidentally deleted the "Administrator" user ID that comes loaded
> with the operating system.
>
> He and I worked on trying to recreate this user, but perhaps that user
> cannot be recreated. Can it? Is there another way of "retrieving" this user
> ID?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s

Have you tried booting into safe mode, if you do and the administrator
login appears you are okay, when you create a new user profile and log
in for the first time the administrator account goes into hiding as a
precaution, so it doesn't become corrupted because a frequent user is
using it to log in. It is better to create a couple of user profiles,
and make them limited and make one for administrative tasks, you could
call it Support,Utilities, etc. and give it administrator privileges.
Don't mess around with the original administrator account, if you surf
and are using this account any spyware or Trojans will have access to
your internal systems and it will be havoc to get rid of.

childofthe1980s wrote:
> Hello:
>
> The controller at one of my client sites got a new Windows XP machine and
> configured his user ID to be an administrative user on that machine.
> Although he was successful in accomplishing this task, he somehow in the
> process accidentally deleted the "Administrator" user ID that comes loaded
> with the operating system.

Not possible. The built-in Administrator account *cannot* be deleted,
although it can be renamed.

> He and I worked on trying to recreate this user, but perhaps that user
> cannot be recreated. Can it? Is there another way of "retrieving" this user
> ID?

Consult your IT department for assistance. (Hint: By design, the only
way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to reboot
into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hello:
>
> The controller at one of my client sites got a new Windows XP
> machine and
> configured his user ID to be an administrative user on that
> machine.
> Although he was successful in accomplishing this task, he
> somehow in the
> process accidentally deleted the "Administrator" user ID that
> comes loaded
> with the operating system.
>
> He and I worked on trying to recreate this user, but perhaps
> that user
> cannot be recreated. Can it? Is there another way of
> "retrieving" this user
> ID?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s

That is imposible, isnt it?

Windows dose not alow you to remove the adminitrator user or the guest
user, the only experiance of Administartor less XP is when i had to
use a recovary disk which was configuered so that there was no
Administator user which casued problems. The only thing i surgest you
do (if the version of XP is pro) is to open the local securitpy policy
(Start > Run | secpol.msc) and go to Local Policies > Security Options
and check out the keys "Accounts: Rename administarator accout" and
"Accounts: Administartor account status" if they look normal, try
changing the values, perhaps windows will realise the acount is
missing, and add it when you change the values.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Admin-User-ftopict553890.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1758317