Sign in with
Your question

Please help a semi-newb, thanks.

Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2003 9:03:40 PM

I'm always looking for suggestions from all the great folks here. I am not a total newb, but I have only built about 6 systems so far. I am building this one for myself and cost is a consideration... but not much of one. I'm hoping for some intelligent feedback from all you veterans out there, I have tried to do as much research as I could first. I think its looking pretty good, but I wanted to get your thoughts about any potential bottlenecks and/or conflicts.

This machine will be doing several things, the first priority will be photoshop image-work, the second priority will be games. The most important thing to me is stability, with speed a CLOSE second (of course!) Also, I won't be overclocking.

Heres my setup (and a few questions):

Case: Thermaltake XASER III V2000A (I like all the cooling fans.. even though its loud)

Mobo: ASUS 800Mhz FSB Model# P4C800-E DELUXE Retail (seems to be fast and stable with latest BIOS)

RAM: CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.Retail.
(I am thinking of getting 2 SETS of these (4 sticks), in order to have all 4 slots filled in the mobo and have 1 Gig of RAM (I think its faster with all 4 populated...?), unless you think I could use 2 gigs..in which case I would just switch to 4 512Mb sticks)

PSU: Antec 550W Power Supply For TRUE550 EPS12V (plenty of juice and high quality)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 512k 800MHz FSB | socket 478 w/ Hyper Threading Technology

Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum (Model SB0240P)

Video: ATI SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 256MB DVI/TV 8X AGP

Drives: (2X) Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB Hard Drive (these will be set up in a RAID 0 configuration)

Drives: (1X) WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - (this will be mainly for storage and backup)

Optical Drives: Sony DVD-/+RW Recorder Drive Model DRU510A (I'm not really sure about this one... can't decide between one "do-it-all" drive like this one, or two seperate but equally good drives...?)

Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Cordless MX Duo (Does anyone know whether cordless is quick enough for gaming??, might go with corded)

Well, thats what I'm thinking about right now, I will post my other questions after I get a few responses, just in case they are answered ahead of time. Thanks everyone!

Tony (you may also email me with any comments/suggestions at bigtony@charter.net)
Thanks!!

More about : semi newb

August 7, 2003 12:35:37 AM

Why not buy 2x512 of memory and that way if u want 2GB in the future you could always do it without having to dispose of 4x256? The 7-10% bandwidth difference in the anantech article?

Have you checked for memory compatibility? Seems to me it's pretty easy to make a mistake picking the wrong stuff.
Anyway, I hope you did your homework there, I'm not going to do it for you.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/06/03 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 7, 2003 12:49:18 AM

you will probably have the best luck with pc3500...but you pc3200 should get the job done...you will probably have to raise the memory timmings...

Fortron makes better and cheeper powersupplies than antec...they are worth considering IMO...

If ya wana go for your 4x 256 setup then get a board with 6 memory slots...although to populate all of them only 1 slot can have double sided modules...so you could put 4x 256 now and add two 512mb sticks in the future...just make sure you get single sided 256mb sticks...If you don't get a board with 6 memory slots you are screwed when it comes time to upgrade :frown:

Other than that lookin good...however i have had problems with my sony drive in the past...but this could be my own bad experience...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
Related resources
August 7, 2003 2:20:39 AM

I see what you mean about the slots...I will reconsider. The ASUS site says I need PC3500 if im going with corsair. So I may go with that.

Thanks!
August 7, 2003 2:34:02 AM

Buy a real ATI card, not a sapphire. A bit more money, but from what I can see, you dont seem to want to go easy on performance and quality.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
August 7, 2003 3:10:10 AM

saphire IS a real ati card...saphire makes PCB's for ATI's built by ATI cards and is a damn good company...i think saphire is a very good choice...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 7, 2003 3:16:59 AM

I have seen a lot about Sapphire being a really good pick, I hope I'm right!

Thanks
August 7, 2003 3:23:05 AM

Do they use the same drivers as ATI or they have their own? I've read somewhere that they cant use the ATI drivers/software so if there is something wrong in a game, then you have to wait for Sapphire to release the drivers. Or maybe it was with the multimedia stuff, I dont remember.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
August 7, 2003 4:00:46 AM

all built buy ati cards share the same dirvers with all powered by ati cards...

Just like all modems with a conexant chipset can use the same drivers...no matter who manufactuers them...

!