Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
i'm trying to get new motherboard to home a all in wonder 9700 pro, sound blaster live 5.1, 1 gig of ram and a pentium 4 i'm upgrading to a 9700 pro from my old and dying ATI AIW. My previous mother board (which only takes agp 4x) had issues with the ATI AIW so i hope i don't run into this issue again when getting a new motherboard. What everyone's been recommending me is a Gigabyte GA-8INXP board. I'm afraid that it will run into the same problems i've had before. This is the first time i've had to up my computer so i'm relatively new at this. I'm jus hoping for a fast, reliable computer (no overclocking or anything) where i can game and video edit.

Thanks~~

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts...

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Motherboards with the E7205 chipset like 8INXP are virtually obsolete. Select among the motherboards with the springdale chipset - Abit IS7 or Asus P4P800, for example.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Beware the P4P800 with the video card, though. Because of the 1.5 v requirement, some 9700 cards do not work with the mobo (at least on paper). I'll post the link when i find it...

It says
"Quote from the P4P800 Deluxe Users Guide, section 2.6.4 "AGP slot": "If installing the ATi 9500 or 9700 Pro Series VGA cards, use only the card version PN xxx-xxxxx-30 or later, for optimum performance and overclocking stability.""

Although, i suppose this should be taken with a grain of salt.
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/print/asus-p4p800.html" target="_new">xbitlabs test</A>. This link is great, because it shows where on the ATI card your P/N is located. I suggest staying away from the P4P800 if you have one of the problematic 9700 Pro's. Otherwise, it's a good deal :)

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wolverinero79 on 08/06/03 04:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
the AiW 9700 pro doesn't seem to be supported by a wide variety of motherboards then... :( Which motherboards won't fuss over this video card? I really like the card, and i hope that the motherboard i get will like it too. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks~~

Edit:

I'm deciding between the All in wonder 9700 pro and the 9800 pro. I hope that this can help in giving me a recommendation on which boards will not conflict with these video cards...

All the world's a stage,
And one man in his time plays many parts...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Nyanko on 08/07/03 03:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
i've also read a post on here about one dude desiging his system with Gigabyte VIA KT400 and a Radeon 9800 pro...Is that a decent board for stability or is the P4P800 better?

All the world's a stage,

Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
i'm doing a lotta research online...sorry for the third consecutive post. I just have so many questions. I guess in a way, i'm learning more and more about computers than i've ever did jus reading books.

was jus surfing the net looking at gaming systems that companies built. One system that caught my attention was the one from alienware. They either install the GeForce FX5900 Ultra or the ATI 9800 Pro with the Asus A7N8X Motherboard. I remember seeing this computer at best buy, and the graphics card seemed to do well on the demos.

What are your opinions on this board?

All the world's a stage,

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Well, i have seen many many more 9700 Pro issues with motherboards than 9800. I think it's the fact that more mobos now are limiting board voltage to 1.5 v max (AGP 8x is .8v or 1.5v, 4x is 1.5v or 3.3 v - so some 4x cards will not work in new mobos and i believe any 2x and 1x cards will no work). Maybe the old 9700 Pro's came out too early and had voltage issues? Who knows...it's only the earlier 9700 pros that seem to have stability issues. And i've seen very few posts about 9700 Pro's having problems in motherboards that support both 4x and 2x AGP.

The 9800 seems solid. The A7N8X, i've heard, is very picky about RAM. I can't remember what kind you have (if you said), but the board favors kingston. From what i've seen, the P4P800 has issues with some Corsair RAM, but is generally compatible.

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I'm sorry for not listing parts :( but since i'm changing the video card, motherboard, processor, and possibly ram...i jus thought i'd do a bit of research here and there about compatibility issues...sorry if it was an inconvience~

currently i have 2 strips of 512 mb of SD ram from Micron...the asus motherboard (i think) only takes DDR ram? i'm looking for jus the good motherboard...the ram i can sel lto my friend who's upping his 256 mb of ram to 1 gb and is willing to buy, so ram isn't an issue for that. Thanks for the note that the asus favors kingston :)

I'm going through alot of the posts on motherboards vs. 9800 board, and also about the A7n8X and the P4P800...it seems that the A7N8X is pretty good. People who have used it asking for reviews on their systems got pretty good reviews about that motherboard. So i'm mostly leaning towards the A7N8X

I'm going through websites for the A7N8X regular and the Deluxe. Is there a big difference between the two? there's also Rev. 1.04 and Rev 2.0...any differences that lie there that's majorly important? I hope to keep the cost down a bit so acouple dollars here and there saved is a couple dollars earned :)

All the world's a stage,

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Deluxe has no performance bonus, but has extras like a better LAN card, better on-board Audio Card, and serial ATA.

AFAIK The Deluxe doesn't have mutliple versions, but the non-deluxe does. The non-deluxe old version did not support the 400 Mhz based barton core athlons i believe.

Comparing the A7N8X to the P4P800 is a little like apples and oranges. IMO, pick your chip first and then go board shopping.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wolverino is lying to you, all 9700's are 1.5v compliant. 1.5v is actually part of the AGP 2.0 spec, from the AGP4x days.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AGP 2.0 only boards have been on the market for over 2 years. All i850 and i850E boards support 1.5v signals ONLY, because the chipset supports 1.5v signals ONLY. 9700's seem to work fine on these boards, even the early version Pros.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Whether or not you should use the A7N8X or any other nForce2 board is dependant on how well you want your computer to perform, as AMD doesn't have any high performance CPU's right now. Their fastest processor, the XP3200+, performs on par with Intel's midrange P4 2.6C.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
all of ati's past generation cards...

9000 8500 9500 9700 (pro and non pro)

support agp 1.0 - agp 3.0 standards...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
thanks for the info!!!

as for the major components i currently have written down:

kingston DDR ram 2x512mb
the asus a7n8x deluxe board
AIW 9800 Pro
and a AMD 2700+
in addition to my old:
sound blaster live 5.1

i'll be doing a lotta vid editing than gaming...so i thought the 2700+ would be sufficient? i'm hoping for fast rendering times...and i'll game every now and then between classes and projects...

Does that sound ok?

All the world's a stage,

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
for multimedia stuff the p4 is still the king...if you could dish out the dough for a 2.4 and an 865 based mobo you would probably do alot better...but if ya wana stick with amd it should be fine...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, only the 8x cards support AGP 3.0. And the 9600 series (not mentioned) doesn't support AGP 1.0 to the best of my knowledge.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
as for the major components i currently have written down:

kingston DDR ram 2x512mb
the asus a7n8x deluxe board
AIW 9800 Pro
and a AMD 2700+
in addition to my old:
sound blaster live 5.1
The onboard audio provided by the Asus A7n8x deluxe has better sound quality than the SB Live 5.1 and uses less of the CPU.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Well, i don't know why, but earlier models of 9700 pro's have issues with quite a few motherboards. I just assumed it was something to do with voltage that they fixed in the later models. Sorry, i should have mentioned that i didn't know the real cause. But the earlier models ARE incompatible with some boards. That much is true :)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
according to what i have seen with ati spec sheets i cannot back up agp 1.0 compatability for the 9600....do you have personal experience with it on agp 1.0?

I ment...they would run on a board made for agp 8x...but i do beleive that the 9700 and possibly the 9500 do support .88v signaling and 8x agp...don't they? So wouldn't those be agp 3.0?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes they did, I don't know exactly the cause of the problem, perhaps they weren't AGP 3.0 (0.8v) compliant? Or perhaps the signal strength at 0.8v was too weak, causing data loss. Anyway, it seemed to be AGP 8x specific. And cured in later cards, so that if he were buying from a busy vender, his chances of obtaining the early card would be approaching 0.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I said the 9600 DOESN'T, as in Does NOT, support AGP 1.0, to the best of my knowledge. I believe it's because the smaller .13 micron chip uses both lower core and lower I/0 voltages. In fact a .13 micron chip could be 1.5v straight voltage and use a resistor for the 0.8v setting.

The rest of the recent ATI cards appear to by AGP 1.0/2.0/3.0 compliant.

So that would make these cards:
9500 Series: 3.3v/1.5v/0.8v
9700/9800 Series: 3.3v/1.5v/0.8v
9600 Series 1.5v/0.8v

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
DOH!

I was reading too fast!

the 9800 is supports 3.3v...Hmmm...i wunder how that would do on my bx?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I'm fairly certain the 9800 supports AGP 1.0, as the 9700 does. The 9800 chip is nothing more than a newer stepping of the 9700 chip.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
oooooo

then i am all set....20,000 3dmark 2k score here i come :smile:

Nyanko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Prof133, The sound card i have is still in ma old computer...hooked it up becuz my friend does the sound effects some short music stuff with the keyboard and hooks stuff up to the comp...

you guys are such a great help!!! :) I've ordered the stuff...all retail packages...and am happily waiting for their arrival~ :)
!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm really glad my friend gave this site to me :)

All the world's a stage,