add to registry

I have files on my Win 2k machine that I Exported Registry. With my new
XP machine, I would like to import them. How does the Registry know
where to put them (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, etc.)?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about registry

    Sanford Aranoff wrote:
    > I have files on my Win 2k machine that I Exported Registry. With my new
    > XP machine, I would like to import them. How does the Registry know
    > where to put them (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, etc.)?

    The full key name is stored in the exported reg file.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Thank you very much.

    Tom Porterfield wrote:

    > Sanford Aranoff wrote:
    > > I have files on my Win 2k machine that I Exported Registry. With my new
    > > XP machine, I would like to import them. How does the Registry know
    > > where to put them (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, etc.)?
    >
    > The full key name is stored in the exported reg file.
    > --
    > Tom Porterfield
    > MS-MVP Windows
    > http://support.telop.org
    >
    > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

    Open one in notepad and look.

    "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message news:42CD5AFD.EE979DA6@analysis-knowledge.com...
    >I have files on my Win 2k machine that I Exported Registry. With my new
    > XP machine, I would like to import them. How does the Registry know
    > where to put them (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, etc.)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Too stupid to use notepad are you.

    David Candy wrote:

    > Too stupid to use notepad are you.

    Thanks. I tried another text editor, which did not work. Good to know that notepad works.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310516

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > David Candy wrote:
    >
    >> Too stupid to use notepad are you.
    >>

    > Thanks. I tried another text editor, which did not work. Good to know that
    > notepad works.

Microsoft Registry Windows XP