Sign in with
Your question

Stick with PC or get a PS3 slim???

Last response: in Video Games
October 24, 2009 2:20:53 AM

Hi Ill try to get it as much detailed as I can so you guys can help me out easily :) 

I currently game on pc 1920x1080, which is something that ps3 cant do natively

My Built:
Amd x2 6000+ 3.2GHz OC'd
EVGA Gtx275
500GB hard drive
3GB DDR2 RAM

With these specs I can easily game pretty much everygame at max, but there are times when I encounter some games that are poorly coded like GTA IV and more or cpu intensive like GTA IV and more.

That is when I think I think to just upgrade my cpu to core i7 as it will be more future proof, instead of me getting a C2Q and trying to get a i7 after a year. But in order to upgrade to i7, I will need to upgrade my mobo and ram all that will cost around $400 now plus I need a hard drive as im alomst out of space so $50 for that so ill be spending $450 now or after 2 to 3 months to upgrade my pc.

That will assure me quality graphics and mods, but some games are gonna be poorly optimized, and some are not gonna show up, and a lot will get delayed...so hard time

If I just go with ps3 then ill be spending $300 now, but graphics are gonna be ok and will get bad overtime, but every game ill buy will be playing at good fps without any crashes.

As for gfx I think gameplay matters more as I loved fifa 08 and 09 on my pc even though it was ported from ps2 and was not even close to ps3/360 but i love fifa so iplayed it alot!

As we all know ps4 will be around in 2012 ..or possibly 11, so looking at that I estimated the cost as if iwere to buy 10 games in the whole run at the max price

Ps3:$300
1 more controller:$50
10 games:$600

so that equals $950

PC:
Gpu (dx11) $200
Cpu,mobo,ram:$400
HDD:$50
OS(win 7): $100
Games"$500
Keyboard, mouse adn accesroies: $200

So that equals to $1450

So im gonna be paying $500 more over the course of 2 to 3 years. Is it worth it? I mean a lot devs are just porting consles versions over pc with gfx looking better. some dont even bother to make games for PC as piracy is killing pc's market.

So ps3 or PC? please help me! Your opinion matters to me :)  thanks in advance

Oh and please no 360 suggestions

More about : stick ps3 slim

October 24, 2009 6:27:44 AM

hmm that's definately a tough one. I'm in a similar situation. Whether to upgrade my pc or go with a ps3.

I think it depends more on what type of games you play. If you like FPS's, MMO's, or RTS's, i think the extra $500 you think you will spend on a pc is well worth it. Better graphics and better controls for those games.

If you play more sports games, rpg's, or racing games then maybe the ps3 is the better choice as a controller seems to better fit those genres.

It all comes down to preference. But I think I will probably stick with PC gaming myself. I can't pass up Diablo 3 or The Old Republic, and I also have a sense of pride building my own pc and kindve being part of the red headed stepchild gaming platform that the pc community has become. lol

But in all honest and extra $500 over 2-3 years isn't really all that much and (in my opinion) will give you a much better gaming experience when you can see the disparity in graphical quality between your pc and the already aging ps3.
m
l
October 24, 2009 3:19:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. My type of games are fps, racing and sports. I dont like MMO's and RTS's. So the only reason to stick with pc would be fps, which what i could get on ps3 with less accuracy coz of controller.

Btw I use 360 controller to play games on my except fps.

I know $500 isnt that much over 2-3 years, but im only 17 and have a part time job, and also supporting my family so its kinda hard for me to get $500, but if its the right decision then i will try my best to save that much.

Oh and other thing thats striking me is what would happen if i stick with PC and then game devs move out?!

Like there a lot of games that are not coming for pc, if there are then they are lame ports *cough* GTA IV and more. So all I will left is rts and mmo's as that is why PC s mostly alive

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 25, 2009 2:45:53 AM

No one can help me? ):
m
l
October 25, 2009 3:01:11 AM

Hmm, To be honest? I would go for any Quad Core that has 45nm. Putting i7 aside, if you go onto ebay, or any auction website you can see Q6600's and Q8450's selling at 150 bucks with motherboard combos.

I must be frank with you, upgrading to DDR3 ram will not make too much of a difference. Getting 6-8GB of DDR2 ram will last you for years to come. This is of course your on a budget.

My advice (if on a budget)

CPU: Q6600 (Go Stepping) or any 45nm Quad Core (that overclock well)
MoB: Any G31 Motherboard (gigabyte maybe, as I own one very good OC'er.)
RAM: 4 x 2GB DDR2 800/1066 (pointless to go any higher)
HDD: As you said, 500GB to 1TB (good deals on 1TB's on ebay.)

You shouldn't exceed no more then 250 bucks. It's the road I would take. Upgrading to DDR3 that is only 300Mhz faster then DDR2 at this point its pointless. I would think DDR3 will reach levels beyond 2500Mhz so buying now will force you to upgrade your mother once again in the future just to support faster CPU's/RAM etc etc.

O and, if you sell of your motherboard/CPU combo on ebay, you'll probbally get like... 100 bucks for it, so in an overall total, you wouldn't be spending more then $150. Now thats a bargain! :D 

Just my 2 cents.
m
l
October 25, 2009 1:44:59 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice, godbrother :D 

I dont really care about DDR3, that was just for core i7 motherboard as it wouldnt support DDR2, Im personally good with DDR2

Oh and I cant purchase off of ebay. I'm gonna be lookinbg to purchase from newegg.com

Can you post some benchmarks for core i7 and normal quad cores if possible??

Since core i5 is less powerfull than core i7, is core i5 almost same as core 2 quads then?

I realized that core i7 setup will be for $550 as $300 for processor $150 for mobo and $100 for ram...so thats expensive and I dont plan to go there...so now im in favor c2Q setup

Oh and btw Right now nfs shift got me thinking that I have a bad cpu as im getting 20 fps on everything max, but I noticed that only 1 core is being used 100% and the other is 0%.....do u know what the possibly issue here? Coz ppl are saying its cpu intensive and my cpu sucks, but 1 core is not even being used!

For crysis both cores are in use for about 70 to 80%
m
l
October 25, 2009 4:34:25 PM

Stick with a PC dont be a sellout.
m
l
October 26, 2009 3:28:46 PM

I would stick with PC for a few reasons:

First of all, you can essentially tailor your PC to exactly what you want--and you can change around components as you wish. A PS3 is a good buy right now, but as you stated--the graphics are something you will be sick of eventually--and when that happens you can't simply toss a new video card in a ps3 yah?

You have inaccurately posted your PC price as well. Not to be rude! Simply saying, you did a lost of estimating, you can trim that price down drastically. Your video card is absolutely fine, I wouldn't upgrade it TBH. You wont need to dump money into a new case or keyboard/mouse upgrades. Already that is a few hundred bucks off your estimate! New OS, let's be honest--you can work fine with whatever you're currently running until Win7 becomes cheaper or you can pick up a copy for it's current price.

Also, I don't know about you--but I am a PC fan. I have an Xbox 360 for the sole purpose of playing Rockband whilst hanging out with friends. Other than that, console games are sort of a waste of time IMO. You lose a lot of teamwork capabilities playing console games, seeing as how it is not as easy as jumping into a ventrilo or teamspeak server to work with your friends/teammates.

Just my $.02!!! Hope it helps some.
m
l
October 26, 2009 3:33:54 PM

I guess in my previous post I didn't really advise you toward what type of system to build, although it seemed your biggest concern was deciding to build a new PC or go console--my obvious reply was PC.

New build..

Well TBH, I am trying to sell my machine now so I can build an i7 because of the sheer power they have (and everyone loves having the newest toys yah?). In your case, if you are looking for a drastic upgrade without the bills, maybe you should build a nice i5 machine, OC it, and run DDR3. I am certainly glad the price of DDR3 came down--although when I bought it for my current machine it was *not* cheap at all!

I have seen DIY (do it yourself ;-) ) kits on newegg for the Core i5 just under 500$; uncludes mobo, cpu, ram. Right there you are almost done for $500!!! Just slap in a PSU that can support your toys, and you're up and running a fast new beast.

If I were in your shoes, that is what I would do...i5 build all the way.
m
l
October 26, 2009 9:39:34 PM

Well if sports and racing is more your thing I might go with the ps3. Obviously I want you to stick with PC(so we don't lose anymore people lol) and you can def build or upgrade for pretty cheap, and your system is already pretty beefy. Graphics on the PS3 are gonna look much worse than even on your current rig, but it sounds like the games you play are better suited for the console. If fps's are the only thing holding you back you can check this out http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html
Also, you get no dedicated servers in online console games. which to me is a huge setback.

About you thinking developers are leaving the PC I don't think that is necessarily true. Blizzard is still pc only and is a massive developer. I think the whole "PC is a dying platform" hoopla is a bunch of BS. They've been sayin it for years and years and we are still here, I honestly don't think it will ever die. Especially as good builds are becoming cheaper and cheaper. Without the PC pushing the boundaries of graphics then I'm not sure what console graphics would look like. Probably pretty crappy.

I still say stick with PC, but if money is an issue and fps's are the only thing holding you back, check out that SplitFish controller and hopefully you make the right decision for you.

Good luck!

m
l
October 27, 2009 10:19:44 AM

griffed88 said:
About you thinking developers are leaving the PC I don't think that is necessarily true. Blizzard is still pc only and is a massive developer. I think the whole "PC is a dying platform" hoopla is a bunch of BS. They've been sayin it for years and years and we are still here, I honestly don't think it will ever die. Especially as good builds are becoming cheaper and cheaper. Without the PC pushing the boundaries of graphics then I'm not sure what console graphics would look like. Probably pretty crappy.

I still say stick with PC, but if money is an issue and fps's are the only thing holding you back, check out that SplitFish controller and hopefully you make the right decision for you.

Good luck!

QFT! PC (if you ask me) is the strongest platform. Think of products like steam where you can purchase your games digitally, as compared to running to your local store to grab a new game. Ease of use, on top of the price/performance ratio will keep PC platform strong forever.
m
l
October 27, 2009 2:17:23 PM

Can't you stick a quad core AMD into that mobo?
m
l
October 28, 2009 12:46:36 PM

There are some games that just aren't meant to be played on a console and the other way around too.

Your current specs should be good enough to play almost anything on the pc. I'd say put off upgrading and get a ps3 if there is some ps3 only functionality you're looking for or certain games on ps3.

Maybe I'm just not an avid gamer... buying every game that comes out seems a bit too much. I spend 90% of my gaming time playing starcraft : broodware and every once in a while I dust off my ps3 and play some street fighter 4. But I'm not going to go and buy some crappy game like crysis that only offers 5-6 hours of play time for $50-60.

I prefer games that have replay value instead of throwaways that you buy for $50-60 and playthrough and then never touch again.
m
l
October 28, 2009 1:04:47 PM

itadakimasu said:
There are some games that just aren't meant to be played on a console and the other way around too.

Your current specs should be good enough to play almost anything on the pc. I'd say put off upgrading and get a ps3 if there is some ps3 only functionality you're looking for or certain games on ps3.

Maybe I'm just not an avid gamer... buying every game that comes out seems a bit too much. I spend 90% of my gaming time playing starcraft : broodware and every once in a while I dust off my ps3 and play some street fighter 4. But I'm not going to go and buy some crappy game like crysis that only offers 5-6 hours of play time for $50-60.

I prefer games that have replay value instead of throwaways that you buy for $50-60 and playthrough and then never touch again.

I'm in the same boat--I enjoy multi player games more than anything. I am a CS:S player mostly, but I also enjoy killing floor, L4D, and the COD series. I use my 360 maybe once a month when the girl and I have people over to party etc we toss rock band in. Short of that, I basically stick with FPS games and I would rather use a PC than console any day.

As stated, your machine should be able to run most games as is--on 1080p as I do. A few upgrades, and a PS3, or just PS3 would be enough to expand your gaming options really.
m
l
October 28, 2009 7:50:23 PM

I have a Q9650 and a GTX 285, I am not a big gamer at all. I do still play CS:S, COD and Unreal and at one point thought about getting a PS3. I was going to go with a PS because of the Blue Ray .... but I don't watch many movies at all either. I'll stick with my current rig and maybe think about an i7/ATI 5870 sometime when prices drop. Haven't had an ATI card in my computer since the early All-In-Wonder pro though.
m
l
October 29, 2009 10:24:01 AM

jarchack said:
I have a Q9650 and a GTX 285, I am not a big gamer at all. I do still play CS:S, COD and Unreal and at one point thought about getting a PS3. I was going to go with a PS because of the Blue Ray .... but I don't watch many movies at all either. I'll stick with my current rig and maybe think about an i7/ATI 5870 sometime when prices drop. Haven't had an ATI card in my computer since the early All-In-Wonder pro though.

Just wonderin, why you would bother switching from a GTX285 at all? Thats more than adequate graphic processing for any game you would use, especially since you play a lot of Valve games as I do--my 9800GTX+ is more than enough for CS:S and COD. No sense upgrading unless you wanted to just build a beast for other tasks? Or maybe you are like me, and like to build a new machine every year even if it isn't entirely necessary? :D 
m
l
October 29, 2009 3:49:18 PM

Quote:
I know $500 isnt that much over 2-3 years, but im only 17 and have a part time job, and also supporting my family so its kinda hard for me to get $500, but if its the right decision then i will try my best to save that much.

17 years old and worried about building a gaming rig or getting PS3?!?!

Remember when I was 17 and spent £500 for an all singing all dancing PII 450 with 2x voodoo 2. That took me 2 years to save that much.
Kids got it easy these days, too too easy.

As for your question, if all you do is game and want to do it cheaply while not minding that you going to be giving money to Sony (god sony are overpriced) get a PS3.

If you want quality, enjoy building/modding etc then get a good PC.

That's the "Man's" way forward ;) 
m
l
October 29, 2009 4:48:52 PM

If you want to buy a ps3, buy it for the exclusive/non-pc titles.
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:42:35 AM

just buy a ps3 and get it flashed so they you have unlimited ps3 games free! only prob is you need:

-blu ray burner costs $200

-blu ray discs costs $3-$5 each.
m
l
January 7, 2010 6:29:01 PM

I would rather upgrade my pc than spend money on ps. PC has more purpose than just gaming.
m
l
!