I have had my computer for over a year and unknowingly have been using the
Administrator user name the entire time. I was just messing around with the
user profiles and added a new user which became the new computer
administrator. I was able to find the original Administrator by pressing CAD
in the welcome window but was wondering how I could transfer/copy my files,
documents, settings to the new user since I recently learned from this
website that I shouldn't use the administrator setting for internet
searching. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thats fairly simple to do,just open the user account you want to save to
transfer,
then open file transfer wizard,set computer as old,then select the
settings/files
for it to save,save the data in a new folder you created,once the wizard is
thru,
transfer the data to a cd.In the new account set computer as new,in the
wizard,
browse for the files,then the wizard will auto adjust in user account.

"Jehan" wrote:

> I have had my computer for over a year and unknowingly have been using the
> Administrator user name the entire time. I was just messing around with the
> user profiles and added a new user which became the new computer
> administrator. I was able to find the original Administrator by pressing CAD
> in the welcome window but was wondering how I could transfer/copy my files,
> documents, settings to the new user since I recently learned from this
> website that I shouldn't use the administrator setting for internet
> searching. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks Andrew. I tried this and began the transfer, but then it said that I
would need 49 100MB cds to put the data onto. Is there any other way to go
about this without trying to write the data on so many cds?

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Thats fairly simple to do,just open the user account you want to save to
> transfer,
> then open file transfer wizard,set computer as old,then select the
> settings/files
> for it to save,save the data in a new folder you created,once the wizard is
> thru,
> transfer the data to a cd.In the new account set computer as new,in the
> wizard,
> browse for the files,then the wizard will auto adjust in user account.
>
> "Jehan" wrote:
>
> > I have had my computer for over a year and unknowingly have been using the
> > Administrator user name the entire time. I was just messing around with the
> > user profiles and added a new user which became the new computer
> > administrator. I was able to find the original Administrator by pressing CAD
> > in the welcome window but was wondering how I could transfer/copy my files,
> > documents, settings to the new user since I recently learned from this
> > website that I shouldn't use the administrator setting for internet
> > searching. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Copy a User Profile:

Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.
Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.

NOTE: You cannot copy to/from the account you are logged on to.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jehan" <Jehan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B37A37B-3AA4-4037-9325-EFEFE31AD1D6@microsoft.com...
>I have had my computer for over a year and unknowingly have been using the
> Administrator user name the entire time. I was just messing around with the
> user profiles and added a new user which became the new computer
> administrator. I was able to find the original Administrator by pressing CAD
> in the welcome window but was wondering how I could transfer/copy my files,
> documents, settings to the new user since I recently learned from this
> website that I shouldn't use the administrator setting for internet
> searching. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Doug, Thanks for the info. I went through all the steps you outlined. Under
the Copy To, I went under Documents and Settings and chose the user name that
I wanted to copy to, which was my own name: "Jehan." Then, under Permitted
to Use, I typed in "Jehan" and pressed Check Names, then hit ok. With this,
I keep getting an error message that reads "Profile Error: Failed to set
Security on the Destination Profile. Error - Acess is denied." Can you
help, I'm at a complete loss.
Thanks, Jehan