Will my computer run fallout 3 goty edition?

ima7awnm0w3r

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
OK so will my computer be able to run FO3 game of the year edition with a Nvidia Geforce 6400 GT video card, 2Gigs of Ram,a 36 gig hard drive, a DVD -ROM drive,and a 2.80 GHz processor?

Solution
If it runs it would be painfully choppy, your pc is just not fast enough. Fallout has deceptive requirements, you almost meet minimum specs, but to play smoothly you'll need a little above that.

To do much of anything with games you'd need a better video card and a larger hard drive. 36gigs is not enough for most modern games accounting for you OS (windows XP), your documents, your pagefile (think of it as extra ram on XP), and some buffer room.

Your video card I've never heard of, making me think it might just be a relabled 6200 with added memory or some other tweak. In any case, it won't run Fallout 3.

That's not to say your computer is useless. Pentium 4's are still good procs, able to run most apps, they just can't do much...

SamuelL421

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
If it runs it would be painfully choppy, your pc is just not fast enough. Fallout has deceptive requirements, you almost meet minimum specs, but to play smoothly you'll need a little above that.

To do much of anything with games you'd need a better video card and a larger hard drive. 36gigs is not enough for most modern games accounting for you OS (windows XP), your documents, your pagefile (think of it as extra ram on XP), and some buffer room.

Your video card I've never heard of, making me think it might just be a relabled 6200 with added memory or some other tweak. In any case, it won't run Fallout 3.

That's not to say your computer is useless. Pentium 4's are still good procs, able to run most apps, they just can't do much multitasking. Either way, avoid upgrading (not worth the price to make your pc fast enough), just save for a new pc or get Fallout for a console.

Solution

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
6400GT? Wow. Are you sure its not a 9400GT maybe? I've never heard of that GPU before. Is it even PCI-e? I take it to belive its AGP. So overall a no no for the GPU.

But the RAM and the CPU seem to be alright. If you own a PCI-e motherboard, go onto ebay and pick up a super cheap used 8800GT or 8600GTS.