Administrator and User

July 8, 2005 12:25:32 PM

On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal work,
I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do not
want to corrupt the system accidentally.

I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
with Administrator and User?

More about : administrator user

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:25:33 PM

"Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
> On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
> Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal
> work, I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software,
> and do not want to corrupt the system accidentally.
>
> I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k
> machine, with Administrator and User?

Try leaving the password field blank and pressing Enter.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi

The Administrator Account in XP is normally used for troubleshooting and not
for daily use. You can access the Admin. Acccount by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del
twice at the Welcome screen. However if you downlodd Tweak UI, you can then
enable 'Show "Adminstrator" on Welcome Screen':

"Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
> On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
> Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal work,
> I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do not
> want to corrupt the system accidentally.
>
> I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
> with Administrator and User?

July 8, 2005 5:59:36 PM

Will Denny wrote:

> Hi
>
> The Administrator Account in XP is normally used for troubleshooting and not
> for daily use. You can access the Admin. Acccount by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del
> twice at the Welcome screen. However if you downlodd Tweak UI, you can then
> enable 'Show "Adminstrator" on Welcome Screen':
>
> "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP"
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
> > On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
> > Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal work,
> > I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do not
> > want to corrupt the system accidentally.
> >
> > I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
> > with Administrator and User?

Are you saying that I should not use Administrator when I install software, as
this constitutes "normal" use?
What about applying Microsoft security updates?
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 7:02:44 PM

> Will Denny wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The Administrator Account in XP is normally used for troubleshooting and
>> not
>> for daily use. You can access the Admin. Acccount by pressing
>> Ctrl-Alt-Del
>> twice at the Welcome screen. However if you downlodd Tweak UI, you can
>> then
>> enable 'Show "Adminstrator" on Welcome Screen':
>>
>> "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP"
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
>> > On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
>> > Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal
>> > work,
>> > I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do
>> > not
>> > want to corrupt the system accidentally.
>> >
>> > I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
>> > with Administrator and User?
>> >

> Are you saying that I should not use Administrator when I install
> software, as
> this constitutes "normal" use?
> What about applying Microsoft security updates?

Hi

I never use the Administrator Account for daily use, but a User Account that
has Administrative privileges. All Windows Updates can be installed by your
own user Account. All 3rd party software can also be installed via your own
account.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User