Administrator and User

On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal work,
I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do not
want to corrupt the system accidentally.

I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
with Administrator and User?
5 answers Last reply
More about administrator user

    "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
    > On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
    > Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal
    > work, I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software,
    > and do not want to corrupt the system accidentally.
    >
    > I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k
    > machine, with Administrator and User?

    Try leaving the password field blank and pressing Enter.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi

    The Administrator Account in XP is normally used for troubleshooting and not
    for daily use. You can access the Admin. Acccount by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del
    twice at the Welcome screen. However if you downlodd Tweak UI, you can then
    enable 'Show "Adminstrator" on Welcome Screen':

    "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    Will Denny wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The Administrator Account in XP is normally used for troubleshooting and not
    > for daily use. You can access the Admin. Acccount by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del
    > twice at the Welcome screen. However if you downlodd Tweak UI, you can then
    > enable 'Show "Adminstrator" on Welcome Screen':
    >
    > "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP"

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
    > > On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
    > > Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal work,
    > > I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do not
    > > want to corrupt the system accidentally.
    > >
    > > I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
    > > with Administrator and User?

    Are you saying that I should not use Administrator when I install software, as
    this constitutes "normal" use?
    What about applying Microsoft security updates?

    > Will Denny wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The Administrator Account in XP is normally used for troubleshooting and
    >> not
    >> for daily use. You can access the Admin. Acccount by pressing
    >> Ctrl-Alt-Del
    >> twice at the Welcome screen. However if you downlodd Tweak UI, you can
    >> then
    >> enable 'Show "Adminstrator" on Welcome Screen':
    >>
    >> "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP"
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>
    >> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
    >> > On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
    >> > Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal
    >> > work,
    >> > I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do
    >> > not
    >> > want to corrupt the system accidentally.
    >> >
    >> > I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
    >> > with Administrator and User?
    >> >

    > Are you saying that I should not use Administrator when I install
    > software, as
    > this constitutes "normal" use?
    > What about applying Microsoft security updates?

    Hi

    I never use the Administrator Account for daily use, but a User Account that
    has Administrative privileges. All Windows Updates can be installed by your
    own user Account. All 3rd party software can also be installed via your own
    account.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    The same way.

    "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message news:42CE70BC.A670C440@analysis-knowledge.com...
    > On my Win 2k machine, Administrator requires a password. I log in as
    > Administrator when I want to install programs and such. For normal work,
    > I log in as User. This is a safety feature. I write software, and do not
    > want to corrupt the system accidentally.
    >
    > I just bought an XP machine. How do I set up things like my 2k machine,
    > with Administrator and User?

Login Microsoft Windows XP