After installing software on my XP, no icon appears on the desktop. The
same install creates an icon on my 2k machine. What setting do I have to
change to get the icons?

Thanks.

Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330170&Product=winxp

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
Taskbar".

Install this registry fix, then reboot your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Sanford Aranoff" wrote:

| After installing software on my XP, no icon appears on the desktop. The
| same install creates an icon on my 2k machine. What setting do I have to
| change to get the icons?
|
| Thanks.

My desktop icons are not missing! Just when I run an install it does not automatically put the
icons on.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330170&Product=winxp
>
> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
> Taskbar".
>
> Install this registry fix, then reboot your computer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Sanford Aranoff" wrote:
>
> | After installing software on my XP, no icon appears on the desktop. The
> | same install creates an icon on my 2k machine. What setting do I have to
> | change to get the icons?
> |
> | Thanks.

After installation is complete, right-click on the Desktop
and select: Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
> My desktop icons are not missing! Just when I run an install it does
> not automatically put the icons on.

This is normal unless the program itself offers to create a desktop icon.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

You do not understand my question.

My icons are fine! The question is that when I run a new setup, the icon is not displayed, unless I
find the program via Explorer, drag it to desktop, create a shortcut. I use my Win 2k machine to
find the name of the application.

Again, to install a program
1. Run setup.
2. Use Explorer to find the application.
3. Drag the app to the desktop, Create Shortcut.

On Win 2k, steps 2 and 3 are done automatically. Run setup. An icon appears on the desktop without
my manually doing it.

The question is how do I make installing programs on XP display the icon automatically?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> After installation is complete, right-click on the Desktop
> and select: Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Sanford Aranoff" wrote:
>
> | My desktop icons are not missing! Just when I run an install it does not automatically put the
> | icons on.

Ask the person who wrote the program. This has nothing to do with XP.

"Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message news:42CE87F3.5402C4B@analysis-knowledge.com...
> You do not understand my question.
>
> My icons are fine! The question is that when I run a new setup, the icon is not displayed, unless I
> find the program via Explorer, drag it to desktop, create a shortcut. I use my Win 2k machine to
> find the name of the application.
>
> Again, to install a program
> 1. Run setup.
> 2. Use Explorer to find the application.
> 3. Drag the app to the desktop, Create Shortcut.
>
> On Win 2k, steps 2 and 3 are done automatically. Run setup. An icon appears on the desktop without
> my manually doing it.
>
> The question is how do I make installing programs on XP display the icon automatically?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> After installation is complete, right-click on the Desktop
>> and select: Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Sanford Aranoff" wrote:
>>
>> | My desktop icons are not missing! Just when I run an install it does not automatically put the
>> | icons on.

Every program that I install has this issue. When I install it on 2k, it is fine.

David Candy wrote:

> Ask the person who wrote the program. This has nothing to do with XP.

> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message news:42CE87F3.5402C4B@analysis-knowledge.com...
> > You do not understand my question.
> >
> > My icons are fine! The question is that when I run a new setup, the icon is not displayed, unless I
> > find the program via Explorer, drag it to desktop, create a shortcut. I use my Win 2k machine to
> > find the name of the application.
> >
> > Again, to install a program
> > 1. Run setup.
> > 2. Use Explorer to find the application.
> > 3. Drag the app to the desktop, Create Shortcut.
> >
> > On Win 2k, steps 2 and 3 are done automatically. Run setup. An icon appears on the desktop without
> > my manually doing it.
> >
> > The question is how do I make installing programs on XP display the icon automatically?
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> After installation is complete, right-click on the Desktop
> >> and select: Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the problem with the icons, but I do not know the solution.

In Documents and Settings, there is a folder for Administrator, All Users, Default User, Sandy, etc.
I do not need so many users. I just want one user: Sandy. I want all icons and stuff to be in Sandy. This would have the
additional benefit of having the icons alphabetically correct, instead of groups.

I ran another install, and it put it into All Users.

How do I straighten things out?

I never received your file.

Thanks.

David Candy wrote:

> ###################################################################################################
> Panda Platinum Internet Security warning:
>
> The file Check IE Paths.vbs was potentially dangerous and has been moved to quarantine.
> ###################################################################################################
>
> Run the attached file and tell me what it says.

> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message news:42CE9304.CB507233@analysis-knowledge.com...
> > Every program that I install has this issue. When I install it on 2k, it is fine.
> >
> > David Candy wrote:
> >
> >> Ask the person who wrote the program. This has nothing to do with XP.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
> >> =================================================

I'm not going to help break your computer.

David Candy wrote:

> I'm not going to help break your computer.
>
> -
> Let me understand. After I install an app, I have to move the shortcut from All Users to Sandy.

Will this break the computer?

Another question: Can I get rid of the gray shading in Explorer for file names?

Thanks.

My friend: Obviously there is a great deal that you do not understand about
Windows XP. For example, the various user accounts exist for important
reasons, and the gray shading of certain file names is by design.
You need to invest much time in learning about XP before you start changing
things.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."