katie

I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.

C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above path;
but found both of them following this path:
C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for pctree32.dll
????? How do I repair this error???
--
Katie

Gordon

"Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
>
> C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
> pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
> path;
> but found both of them following this path:
> C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for pctree32.dll
> ????? How do I repair this error???
> --
> Katie

What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

Malke

Gordon wrote:

> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
>>
>> C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll
>> or
>> pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
>> path;
>> but found both of them following this path:
>> C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for
>> pctree32.dll
>> ????? How do I repair this error???
>> --
>> Katie
>
> What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

It sounds like Katie is using one of the Norton System Works Utilities
like WinDoctor or the like. Katie, do yourself a favor and don't use
those sorts of programs on XP. They will only cause you Tears Before
Bedtime. IOW, don't worry about this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

katie

I ran Norton's One Button Checkup
--
Katie

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
> >
> > C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
> > pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
> > path;
> > but found both of them following this path:
> > C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for pctree32.dll
> > ????? How do I repair this error???
> > --
> > Katie
>
> What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

katie

Since I'm a perfectionist, I would like to get rid of the error, but Norton's
will not ignore it.
--
Katie

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:07:02 -0700, Katie wrote:

> Since I'm a perfectionist, I would like to get rid of the error, but Norton's
> will not ignore it.

Keep in mind that the error may be in Norton instead of Windows. The
diagnostic may have made a "miss" on this one.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One Button
Checkup?

I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
installed.

See this related page:
http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Katie wrote:
> I ran Norton's One Button Checkup
>
>> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
>>>
>>> C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
>>> pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
>>> path;
>>> but found both of them following this path:
>>> C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for
>>> pctree32.dll
>>> ????? How do I repair this error???
>>> --
>>> Katie
>>
>> What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

katie

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically start
up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are checked. I'm
giving some thought to uninstall the program and reinstall. I've never had
trouble with Norton's before - we bought a new computer, installed Norton's
Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.
--
Katie

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One Button
> Checkup?
>
> I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
> installed.
>
> See this related page:
> http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Katie wrote:
> > I ran Norton's One Button Checkup
> >
> >> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
thread, Katie.

Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing NSW?

Symantec Service & Support

Katie wrote:
> Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
> another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically
> start up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are checked.
> I'm giving some thought to uninstall the program and reinstall. I've
> never had trouble with Norton's before - we bought a new computer,
> installed Norton's Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.
>
> > Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One
> > Button Checkup?
> >
> > I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
> > installed.
> >
> > See this related page:
> > http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Katie wrote:
> > > I ran Norton's One Button Checkup

katie

Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the computer. I
called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I had my own programs
and didn't want what they had on the computer. I was walked through the
uninstall, then helped with installing the Personal Firewall. I installed
Systems Works myself.
--
Katie

"PA Bear" wrote:

> I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
> thread, Katie.
>
> Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
> when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing NSW?
>
> Symantec Service & Support
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Katie wrote:
> > Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
> > another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically
> > start up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are checked.
> > I'm giving some thought to uninstall the program and reinstall. I've
> > never had trouble with Norton's before - we bought a new computer,
> > installed Norton's Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.
> >
> > > Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One
> > > Button Checkup?
> > >
> > > I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
> > > (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > See this related page:
> > > http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

If Symantec Service & Support doesn't offer you any help in resolving the
NSW problem, start by running a /thorough/ check for hijackware:

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

--

Katie wrote:
> Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the computer. I
> called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I had my own programs
> and didn't want what they had on the computer. I was walked through the
> uninstall, then helped with installing the Personal Firewall. I installed
> Systems Works myself.
>
> > I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
> > thread, Katie.
> >
> > Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
> > when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing
> > NSW?
> >
> > Symantec Service & Support
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Katie wrote:
> > > Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
> > > another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically
> > > start up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are
> > > checked. I'm giving some thought to uninstall the program and
> > > reinstall. I've never had trouble with Norton's before - we bought a
> > > new computer, installed Norton's Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.

katie

Pa Bear - thank you for the advice.
--
Katie

"PA Bear" wrote:

> If Symantec Service & Support doesn't offer you any help in resolving the
> NSW problem, start by running a /thorough/ check for hijackware:
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

> (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
> your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> for expert analysis, not here.**
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>

> Katie wrote:
> > Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the computer. I
> > called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I had my own programs
> > and didn't want what they had on the computer. I was walked through the
> > uninstall, then helped with installing the Personal Firewall. I installed
> > Systems Works myself.
> >
> > > I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
> > > thread, Katie.
> > >
> > > Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
> > > when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing
> > > NSW?
> > >
> > > Symantec Service & Support
> > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

YW, Katie. Let us know how you make out.
--
~PA Bear

Katie wrote:
> Pa Bear - thank you for the advice.
>
> > If Symantec Service & Support doesn't offer you any help in resolving
> > the NSW problem, start by running a /thorough/ check for hijackware:
> >
> > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
> >
> > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
> > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
> > use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
> > hijackware/spyware. **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
> >
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >

> > Katie wrote:
> > > Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the
> > > computer. I called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I
> > > had my own programs and didn't want what they had on the computer. I
> > > was walked through the uninstall, then helped with installing the
> > > Personal Firewall. I installed Systems Works myself.

I have the same problem. It doesn't look like Katie has gotten back
with the solution. I too have Norton System works 2005 and
PersonalFirewall 2005. I too get the message after booting.

I guess this probably wouldn't be the place for me to beat myself for
not getting a Mac and UNIX. (Why, why, WHY!?! didn't I do that!)

Having had a disk go bad on me and, of course, disk images that failed
me, I have faced what I have tried to avoid ... reloading *all* the
software on my machine. I completed that and took a disk image but I'm
still fine tuning.

Symantec's "knowledgebase" has turned up nothing. I guess I could do
the chat thing with them. ( I have Symantec ambivalence.)

-T

--
tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

katie

tbrodie, I haven't had the time to try all the solutions that have been
suggested. I'm still trying to get everything else fine tuned on my new
computer, learn more about XP, load all the new software that I had to buy
because my old software was not compatible to XP because the software was
older, as in I have been using it since 1997. Why change when you like
something?? As I said, I intend to try the solutions, in time. I never had
trouble with my Norton's when I had ME - never gave me a problem, worked like
clockwork. So, is it because of XP? Others I know run Nortons, but just the
Firewall. I like SystemWorks because it saves my name and password, and also
the One Button CheckUp, being able to schedule when I want the One Button
CheckUP to run, the AntiVirus check, etc. I apologize for being so slow
regarding the solutions to fix the error problem.

Katie

"tbrodie" wrote:

> I have the same problem. It doesn't look like Katie has gotten back
> with the solution. I too have Norton System works 2005 and
> PersonalFirewall 2005. I too get the message after booting.
>
> I guess this probably wouldn't be the place for me to beat myself for
> not getting a Mac and UNIX. (Why, why, WHY!?! didn't I do that!)
>
> Having had a disk go bad on me and, of course, disk images that failed
> me, I have faced what I have tried to avoid ... reloading *all* the
> software on my machine. I completed that and took a disk image but I'm
> still fine tuning.
>
> Symantec's "knowledgebase" has turned up nothing. I guess I could do
> the chat thing with them. ( I have Symantec ambivalence.)
>
> -T
>

> --
> tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

No problem Katie. I understand completely. Configuring and maintaining
a machine can be an unwanted hobby. I often wonder whether the machine
is working for me or vice versa.

I'd just like to get this remedied before taking another disk image.
It may take a while. I'll post my tinkerings.

-T

--
tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

katie

I do work for my computer, no doubt. I've had to learn so much on my own,
but I still don't know enough to feel secure about correcting, deleting - and
if a mistake is made, getting it all back. Not on software, I feel very
secure with the software that I use, cards and graphics. I love to put
together our Christmas cards, birthday, etc. I can make my computer sing when
using software. Please keep me posted of what you find out.
--
Katie