Program Integrity

I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.

C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above path;
but found both of them following this path:
C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for pctree32.dll
????? How do I repair this error???
--
Katie
16 answers Last reply

    "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
    >
    > C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
    > pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
    > path;
    > but found both of them following this path:
    > C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for pctree32.dll
    > ????? How do I repair this error???
    > --
    > Katie

    What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

    Gordon wrote:

    > "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll
    >> or
    >> pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
    >> path;
    >> but found both of them following this path:
    >> C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for
    >> pctree32.dll
    >> ????? How do I repair this error???
    >> --
    >> Katie
    >
    > What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

    It sounds like Katie is using one of the Norton System Works Utilities
    like WinDoctor or the like. Katie, do yourself a favor and don't use
    those sorts of programs on XP. They will only cause you Tears Before
    Bedtime. IOW, don't worry about this.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I ran Norton's One Button Checkup
    --
    Katie

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
    > >
    > > C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
    > > pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
    > > path;
    > > but found both of them following this path:
    > > C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for pctree32.dll
    > > ????? How do I repair this error???
    > > --
    > > Katie
    >
    > What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

    Since I'm a perfectionist, I would like to get rid of the error, but Norton's
    will not ignore it.
    --
    Katie

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:07:02 -0700, Katie wrote:

    > Since I'm a perfectionist, I would like to get rid of the error, but Norton's
    > will not ignore it.

    Keep in mind that the error may be in Norton instead of Windows. The
    diagnostic may have made a "miss" on this one.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One Button
    Checkup?

    I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
    installed.

    See this related page:
    http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Katie wrote:
    > I ran Norton's One Button Checkup
    >
    >> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I ran a scan and the following error message was listed.
    >>>
    >>> C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.exe cannot access learn32.dll or
    >>> pctree32.dll. I could not find learn32 or pctree following the above
    >>> path;
    >>> but found both of them following this path:
    >>> C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training\learn32.dll - the same path for
    >>> pctree32.dll
    >>> ????? How do I repair this error???
    >>> --
    >>> Katie
    >>
    >> What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
    another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically start
    up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are checked. I'm
    giving some thought to uninstall the program and reinstall. I've never had
    trouble with Norton's before - we bought a new computer, installed Norton's
    Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.
    --
    Katie

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One Button
    > Checkup?
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
    > installed.
    >
    > See this related page:
    > http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Katie wrote:
    > > I ran Norton's One Button Checkup
    > >
    > >> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> What sort of scan? AV? Spyware? System Repair?

    I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
    thread, Katie.

    Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
    when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing NSW?

    Symantec Service & Support

    Katie wrote:
    > Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
    > another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically
    > start up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are checked.
    > I'm giving some thought to uninstall the program and reinstall. I've
    > never had trouble with Norton's before - we bought a new computer,
    > installed Norton's Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.
    >
    > > Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One
    > > Button Checkup?
    > >
    > > I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
    > > (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > See this related page:
    > > http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >
    > > Katie wrote:
    > > > I ran Norton's One Button Checkup

    Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the computer. I
    called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I had my own programs
    and didn't want what they had on the computer. I was walked through the
    uninstall, then helped with installing the Personal Firewall. I installed
    Systems Works myself.
    --
    Katie

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
    > thread, Katie.
    >
    > Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
    > when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing NSW?
    >
    > Symantec Service & Support
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Katie wrote:
    > > Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
    > > another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically
    > > start up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are checked.
    > > I'm giving some thought to uninstall the program and reinstall. I've
    > > never had trouble with Norton's before - we bought a new computer,
    > > installed Norton's Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.
    > >
    > > > Are you having any problems, other than this notification from One
    > > > Button Checkup?
    > > >
    > > > I wouldn't worry about it since you apparently have MS05-031
    > > > (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-031.mspx)
    > > > installed.
    > > >
    > > > See this related page:
    > > > http://ae.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/advisories.php?LYstr=VADVISORIES&VAdvisories=188
    > > > --
    > > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    If Symantec Service & Support doesn't offer you any help in resolving the
    NSW problem, start by running a /thorough/ check for hijackware:

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --

    Katie wrote:
    > Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the computer. I
    > called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I had my own programs
    > and didn't want what they had on the computer. I was walked through the
    > uninstall, then helped with installing the Personal Firewall. I installed
    > Systems Works myself.
    >
    > > I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
    > > thread, Katie.
    > >
    > > Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
    > > when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing
    > > NSW?
    > >
    > > Symantec Service & Support
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >
    > > Katie wrote:
    > > > Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The answer is yes there is
    > > > another problem with Norton's Systemworks. It will not automatically
    > > > start up when the computer starts up - all appropriate boxes are
    > > > checked. I'm giving some thought to uninstall the program and
    > > > reinstall. I've never had trouble with Norton's before - we bought a
    > > > new computer, installed Norton's Firewall, then Norton's Systemworks.

    Pa Bear - thank you for the advice.
    --
    Katie

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > If Symantec Service & Support doesn't offer you any help in resolving the
    > NSW problem, start by running a /thorough/ check for hijackware:
    >
    > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    > It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    > your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    > for expert analysis, not here.**
    >
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >

    > Katie wrote:
    > > Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the computer. I
    > > called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I had my own programs
    > > and didn't want what they had on the computer. I was walked through the
    > > uninstall, then helped with installing the Personal Firewall. I installed
    > > Systems Works myself.
    > >
    > > > I don't think the NSW problem is related to your original post in this
    > > > thread, Katie.
    > > >
    > > > Was a trial version of Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan preinstalled
    > > > when you bought the machine? Did you uninstall it before installing
    > > > NSW?
    > > >
    > > > Symantec Service & Support
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > > --
    > > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    YW, Katie. Let us know how you make out.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Katie wrote:
    > Pa Bear - thank you for the advice.
    >
    > > If Symantec Service & Support doesn't offer you any help in resolving
    > > the NSW problem, start by running a /thorough/ check for hijackware:
    > >
    > > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
    > > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
    > > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    > > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    > > use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
    > > hijackware/spyware. **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    > >
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >

    > > Katie wrote:
    > > > Yes, I did uninstall the Norton Antivirus that came with the
    > > > computer. I called Norton's to ask them what I should do because I
    > > > had my own programs and didn't want what they had on the computer. I
    > > > was walked through the uninstall, then helped with installing the
    > > > Personal Firewall. I installed Systems Works myself.

    I have the same problem. It doesn't look like Katie has gotten back
    with the solution. I too have Norton System works 2005 and
    PersonalFirewall 2005. I too get the message after booting.

    I guess this probably wouldn't be the place for me to beat myself for
    not getting a Mac and UNIX. (Why, why, WHY!?! didn't I do that!)

    Having had a disk go bad on me and, of course, disk images that failed
    me, I have faced what I have tried to avoid ... reloading *all* the
    software on my machine. I completed that and took a disk image but I'm
    still fine tuning.

    Symantec's "knowledgebase" has turned up nothing. I guess I could do
    the chat thing with them. ( I have Symantec ambivalence.)

    -T

    --
    tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    tbrodie, I haven't had the time to try all the solutions that have been
    suggested. I'm still trying to get everything else fine tuned on my new
    computer, learn more about XP, load all the new software that I had to buy
    because my old software was not compatible to XP because the software was
    older, as in I have been using it since 1997. Why change when you like
    something?? As I said, I intend to try the solutions, in time. I never had
    trouble with my Norton's when I had ME - never gave me a problem, worked like
    clockwork. So, is it because of XP? Others I know run Nortons, but just the
    Firewall. I like SystemWorks because it saves my name and password, and also
    the One Button CheckUp, being able to schedule when I want the One Button
    CheckUP to run, the AntiVirus check, etc. I apologize for being so slow
    regarding the solutions to fix the error problem.

    Katie

    "tbrodie" wrote:

    > I have the same problem. It doesn't look like Katie has gotten back
    > with the solution. I too have Norton System works 2005 and
    > PersonalFirewall 2005. I too get the message after booting.
    >
    > I guess this probably wouldn't be the place for me to beat myself for
    > not getting a Mac and UNIX. (Why, why, WHY!?! didn't I do that!)
    >
    > Having had a disk go bad on me and, of course, disk images that failed
    > me, I have faced what I have tried to avoid ... reloading *all* the
    > software on my machine. I completed that and took a disk image but I'm
    > still fine tuning.
    >
    > Symantec's "knowledgebase" has turned up nothing. I guess I could do
    > the chat thing with them. ( I have Symantec ambivalence.)
    >
    > -T
    >

    > --
    > tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    No problem Katie. I understand completely. Configuring and maintaining
    a machine can be an unwanted hobby. I often wonder whether the machine
    is working for me or vice versa.

    I'd just like to get this remedied before taking another disk image.
    It may take a while. I'll post my tinkerings.

    -T

    --
    tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I do work for my computer, no doubt. I've had to learn so much on my own,
    but I still don't know enough to feel secure about correcting, deleting - and
    if a mistake is made, getting it all back. Not on software, I feel very
    secure with the software that I use, cards and graphics. I love to put
    together our Christmas cards, birthday, etc. I can make my computer sing when
    using software. Please keep me posted of what you find out.
    --
    Katie

    "tbrodie" wrote:

    > No problem Katie. I understand completely. Configuring and maintaining
    > a machine can be an unwanted hobby. I often wonder whether the machine
    > is working for me or vice versa.
    >
    > I'd just like to get this remedied before taking another disk image.
    > It may take a while. I'll post my tinkerings.
    >
    > -T
    >

    > --
    > tbrodiePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Microsoft Error Message DLL Windows XP