Creating a free HotSpot within a shopping mall

I have been asked to create a free hotspot within a shopping mall.

I have a number of questions. If anyone has knowledge of setting up a
public hotspot, I sure could use help or at least links.

Some of my assumptions are:

The mall needs a static IP, Router can provide NAT, (and default
gateway to static IP?). So the users would just need to have DHCP
enabled.

Do we hand out a username/PW for the ISP (I'm sure the ISP would love
that).

If we encrypt and provide a secure connection, everyone will have to
be authenticated, do we have them sign up for a UN/PW, and install a
server?

Anyone that has experience and could provide info and /or links, would
sure be appreciated.

You should check out http://www.sputnik.com - Sputnik allows you to
plug AP's in anywhere, make them free or pay, supports a ton of
network architectures, multiple locations, and it's the lowest cost
easiest to configure solution on the market.

Sputnik will manage all the backend stuff - and you control it all
via. a web browser or you can set up your own system to manage all
your AP's. It is very low cost and easy to deploy.

Take care, Art...

http://www.stayonline.net would be glad to set one up for you.

--
---

check out http://www.publicip.net/

--

To reply via e-mail, remove the "-nospam-" from the reply to address

"Arthur Tyde" <aftyde@tyde.net> wrote in message
> You should check out http://www.sputnik.com - Sputnik allows you to
> plug AP's in anywhere, make them free or pay, supports a ton of
> network architectures, multiple locations, and it's the lowest cost
> easiest to configure solution on the market.
>
> Sputnik will manage all the backend stuff - and you control it all
> via. a web browser or you can set up your own system to manage all
> your AP's. It is very low cost and easy to deploy.
>
> Take care, Art...
>
> spid2408@yahoo.com (tech274) wrote in message
>> I have been asked to create a free hotspot within a shopping mall.
>>
>> I have a number of questions. If anyone has knowledge of setting up a
>> public hotspot, I sure could use help or at least links.
>>
>> Some of my assumptions are:
>>
>> The mall needs a static IP, Router can provide NAT, (and default
>> gateway to static IP?). So the users would just need to have DHCP
>> enabled.
>>
>> Do we hand out a username/PW for the ISP (I'm sure the ISP would love
>> that).
>>
>> If we encrypt and provide a secure connection, everyone will have to
>> be authenticated, do we have them sign up for a UN/PW, and install a
>> server?
>>
>> Anyone that has experience and could provide info and /or links, would
>> sure be appreciated.

How can sputnick be the cheapest? What is cheaper than free (see prior
post).

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---

You probably want to check with ISP...they probably have some kind of deal
they would make you for that kind of thing. (static IP that particular kind
of use.).
If you want to control access, there are a number of ways from just giving
out a key that people put into their computer like password or you can have
server that manages authentication through a managed gateway (which is a box
on the same subnet as your access point that passes on authentication
requests to the server). Your mall might like this, because at the point of
authentication, you can have all kinds of advertising or links to sites that
your merchants might like customers to see. There are probably
others(authentication methods) but that's all I'm familiar with.

"tech274" <spid2408@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been asked to create a free hotspot within a shopping mall.
>
> I have a number of questions. If anyone has knowledge of setting up a
> public hotspot, I sure could use help or at least links.
>
> Some of my assumptions are:
>
> The mall needs a static IP, Router can provide NAT, (and default
> gateway to static IP?). So the users would just need to have DHCP
> enabled.
>
> Do we hand out a username/PW for the ISP (I'm sure the ISP would love
> that).
>
> If we encrypt and provide a secure connection, everyone will have to
> be authenticated, do we have them sign up for a UN/PW, and install a
> server?
>
> Anyone that has experience and could provide info and /or links, would
> sure be appreciated.

"tech274" <spid2408@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been asked to create a free hotspot within a shopping mall.

Dlink offers a couple of hotspot gateways, small and bigger.
Might want to read their manuals.
Would imagine others have offerings too.