Windows Updates

Seems like I've downloaded about a dozen XP updates, including SP2
Now another one is coming next week:
"Microsoft said Thursday that it will issue a three Windows security
patches next
Tuesday in its monthly release of security and software updates."
How do I reduce the disk space being used by all these updates...or do they
automatically delete their own files aftter posting?
--
olddan
2 answers Last reply

    In news:7FFC3B74-13A6-40FE-A040-D15D2153F191@microsoft.com,
    olddan <olddan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Seems like I've downloaded about a dozen XP updates, including
    > SP2
    > Now another one is coming next week:
    > "Microsoft said Thursday that it will issue a three Windows
    > security
    > patches next
    > Tuesday in its monthly release of security and software
    > updates."
    > How do I reduce the disk space being used by all these
    > updates...or
    > do they automatically delete their own files aftter posting?

    You can delete their backup files. See
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Browse to the Windows folder and you will see several folder like this
    $NtUninstallKB823559$
    They are hidden folders so you will need to eable viewing of hidden files
    and folders.
    (Tools->Folder Options->View tab)
    These folders contain the files necessary to uninstall the patches, so if
    you delete them, then you will not be able to uninstall the patches after
    that.
    Also, they are in blue text with the $'s around them because Windows
    compresses them to save disk space.

    "olddan" <olddan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Seems like I've downloaded about a dozen XP updates, including SP2
    > Now another one is coming next week:
    > "Microsoft said Thursday that it will issue a three Windows security
    > patches next
    > Tuesday in its monthly release of security and software updates."
    > How do I reduce the disk space being used by all these updates...or do
    > they
    > automatically delete their own files aftter posting?
    > --
    > olddan

Windows Security Microsoft Windows XP