Windows Updates

July 8, 2005 2:52:21 PM

Seems like I've downloaded about a dozen XP updates, including SP2
Now another one is coming next week:
"Microsoft said Thursday that it will issue a three Windows security
patches next
Tuesday in its monthly release of security and software updates."
How do I reduce the disk space being used by all these updates...or do they
automatically delete their own files aftter posting?
--
olddan

More about : windows updates

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:32:57 PM

In news:7FFC3B74-13A6-40FE-A040-D15D2153F191@microsoft.com,
olddan <olddan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Seems like I've downloaded about a dozen XP updates, including
> SP2
> Now another one is coming next week:
> "Microsoft said Thursday that it will issue a three Windows
> security
> patches next
> Tuesday in its monthly release of security and software
> updates."
> How do I reduce the disk space being used by all these
> updates...or
> do they automatically delete their own files aftter posting?

You can delete their backup files. See
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:50:53 AM

Browse to the Windows folder and you will see several folder like this
$NtUninstallKB823559$
They are hidden folders so you will need to eable viewing of hidden files
and folders.
(Tools->Folder Options->View tab)
These folders contain the files necessary to uninstall the patches, so if
you delete them, then you will not be able to uninstall the patches after
that.
Also, they are in blue text with the $'s around them because Windows
compresses them to save disk space.

!