Standby

July 8, 2005 5:58:58 PM

What is your recommendation for standby:
Turn of monitor
Turn off hard disks

System standby
System hibernate

With my 2k system, I never turned off the monitor or hard disks. Turning
off power can damage a unit.

More about : standby

July 10, 2005 12:07:06 PM

That's kind of a personal preference thing. Read up on
what each one means in Help Support, or even Google for
them.
It's mostly a matter of setting them up so they
don't happen unexpectedly when you are still using the
machine after a short time away, and how long it takes
to get back to full operability. Try them and see how
they feel. Then pick the ones you like.

Turning power off to a computer is not going to hurt
anything at all, so I've completely missed what you
meant by that. Powering off by any normal means
provided by the computer and the OS isn't going to hurt
anything or cause any damage.

HTH

Pop

"Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com>
wrote in message
> What is your recommendation for standby:
> Turn of monitor
> Turn off hard disks
>
> System standby
> System hibernate
>
> With my 2k system, I never turned off the monitor or
> hard disks. Turning
> off power can damage a unit.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:45:13 AM

Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt aything, in fact I
recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
catastrophic data loss as a result.
So I must have missed something here too.

"PopS" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
> That's kind of a personal preference thing. Read up on what each one
> means in Help Support, or even Google for them.
> It's mostly a matter of setting them up so they don't happen
> unexpectedly when you are still using the machine after a short time away,
> and how long it takes to get back to full operability. Try them and see
> how they feel. Then pick the ones you like.
>
> Turning power off to a computer is not going to hurt anything at all, so
> I've completely missed what you meant by that. Powering off by any normal
> means provided by the computer and the OS isn't going to hurt anything or
> cause any damage.
>
> HTH
>
> Pop
>
> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
>> What is your recommendation for standby:
>> Turn of monitor
>> Turn off hard disks
>>
>> System standby
>> System hibernate
>>
>> With my 2k system, I never turned off the monitor or hard disks. Turning
>> off power can damage a unit.

July 15, 2005 1:03:45 PM

> Raztax wrote:
>
> Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt anything, in fact
> recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
> catastrophic data loss as a result.
> So I must have missed something here too.
>

> Most power failures last for less than a minute. The UPS would insure that the
> computer would not lose power. Yes, if
> there was a concern about a possibility of an extended power outage, then we
> do want to set the power off setting. My
> question is for normal use. I have always thought that powering off and on
> would reduce the lifetime of an electric
> device. E.g., light bulbs normally blow out just when turning on the light.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:23:12 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:03:45 -0400, Sanford Aranoff wrote:

>> Most power failures last for less than a minute. The UPS would insure that the
>> computer would not lose power. Yes, if
>> there was a concern about a possibility of an extended power outage, then we
>> do want to set the power off setting. My
>> question is for normal use. I have always thought that powering off and on
>> would reduce the lifetime of an electric
>> device. E.g., light bulbs normally blow out just when turning on the light.

The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were truly
sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the home
market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll find
varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
work style the best.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Your CPU will be obsolete long before it wears out from turning the pc on
and off :)

>> Raztax wrote:
>>
>> Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt anything, in
>> fact
>> recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
>> catastrophic data loss as a result.
>> So I must have missed something here too.
>>

>> Most power failures last for less than a minute. The UPS would insure
>> that the
>> computer would not lose power. Yes, if
>> there was a concern about a possibility of an extended power outage, then
>> we
>> do want to set the power off setting. My
>> question is for normal use. I have always thought that powering off and
>> on
>> would reduce the lifetime of an electric
>> device. E.g., light bulbs normally blow out just when turning on the
>> light.

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:07:48 PM

> The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were truly
> sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the home
> market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll find
> varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
> on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
> and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
> work style the best.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to replace it. Yes,
I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to XP, and
have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my old
computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to replacing
a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can power down.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:46:29 PM

I'd be interested in seeing a post that has some statistical information on
just how many computers or hard drives suffered damage by turning them off.
I just don't see it happening.

>> The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were
>> truly
>> sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the
>> home
>> market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll
>> find
>> varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
>> on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
>> and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
>> work style the best.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
>
> The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to
> replace it. Yes,
> I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to
> XP, and
> have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my
> old
> computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to
> replacing
> a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can
> power down.

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 8:59:01 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:07:48 -0400, Sanford Aranoff wrote:

> The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to replace it. Yes,
> I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to XP, and
> have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my old
> computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to replacing
> a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can power down.

That's how I have my system set up: monitor can power down. Hard drives,
no. I do this because I don't like waiting for the hard drives to wake up
rather than trying to avoid possible wear and tear. My desktop never
hibernates or goes into standby. Is left on for days at a time. On the
other hand, I use standby and hibernate extensively on my tablet PC.

You asked for an opinion. You got several including mine. From there,
you'll need to decide what you want to do, why you want to do it and then
go from there.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User