Standby

What is your recommendation for standby:
Turn of monitor
Turn off hard disks

System standby
System hibernate

With my 2k system, I never turned off the monitor or hard disks. Turning
off power can damage a unit.
8 answers Last reply
More about standby

    That's kind of a personal preference thing. Read up on
    what each one means in Help Support, or even Google for
    them.
    It's mostly a matter of setting them up so they
    don't happen unexpectedly when you are still using the
    machine after a short time away, and how long it takes
    to get back to full operability. Try them and see how
    they feel. Then pick the ones you like.

    Turning power off to a computer is not going to hurt
    anything at all, so I've completely missed what you
    meant by that. Powering off by any normal means
    provided by the computer and the OS isn't going to hurt
    anything or cause any damage.

    HTH

    Pop

    "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com>
    wrote in message
    > What is your recommendation for standby:
    > Turn of monitor
    > Turn off hard disks
    >
    > System standby
    > System hibernate
    >
    > With my 2k system, I never turned off the monitor or
    > hard disks. Turning
    > off power can damage a unit.

    Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt aything, in fact I
    recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
    catastrophic data loss as a result.
    So I must have missed something here too.

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:03:45 -0400, Sanford Aranoff wrote:

    >> Most power failures last for less than a minute. The UPS would insure that the
    >> computer would not lose power. Yes, if
    >> there was a concern about a possibility of an extended power outage, then we
    >> do want to set the power off setting. My
    >> question is for normal use. I have always thought that powering off and on
    >> would reduce the lifetime of an electric
    >> device. E.g., light bulbs normally blow out just when turning on the light.

    The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were truly
    sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the home
    market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll find
    varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
    on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
    and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
    work style the best.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Your CPU will be obsolete long before it wears out from turning the pc on
    and off :)

    >> Raztax wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt anything, in
    >> fact
    >> recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
    >> catastrophic data loss as a result.
    >> So I must have missed something here too.
    >>

    >> Most power failures last for less than a minute. The UPS would insure
    >> that the
    >> computer would not lose power. Yes, if
    >> there was a concern about a possibility of an extended power outage, then
    >> we
    >> do want to set the power off setting. My
    >> question is for normal use. I have always thought that powering off and
    >> on
    >> would reduce the lifetime of an electric
    >> device. E.g., light bulbs normally blow out just when turning on the
    >> light.

    > The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were truly
    > sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the home
    > market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll find
    > varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
    > on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
    > and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
    > work style the best.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to replace it. Yes,
    I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to XP, and
    have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my old
    computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to replacing
    a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can power down.

    I'd be interested in seeing a post that has some statistical information on
    just how many computers or hard drives suffered damage by turning them off.
    I just don't see it happening.

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:07:48 -0400, Sanford Aranoff wrote:

    > The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to replace it. Yes,
    > I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to XP, and
    > have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my old
    > computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to replacing
    > a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can power down.

    That's how I have my system set up: monitor can power down. Hard drives,
    no. I do this because I don't like waiting for the hard drives to wake up
    rather than trying to avoid possible wear and tear. My desktop never
    hibernates or goes into standby. Is left on for days at a time. On the
    other hand, I use standby and hibernate extensively on my tablet PC.

    You asked for an opinion. You got several including mine. From there,
    you'll need to decide what you want to do, why you want to do it and then
    go from there.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User