sfc will not run.

Tried to run sfc /scannow.

Got message "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now."

With CD-ROM inserted, I got a list of four options: Install WinXP; Install
optional Windows components; Perform additional tasks; Check system
compatibility.

I have no idea which one to choose.

The window with the "Insert your CD-ROM now" message is still uppermost, and
has a "Retry" button.

So I click "Retry". The message goes momentarily, and then comes back again.

I click "Retry" again, with the same result. The CD-Rom drive makes a noise,
but nothing on the screen is changing. I am stuck.

Can you help, please with my attempt to run sfc?

Computer appears to be running all right apart from this problem with sfc.
Just thought I would get some experience of sfc in case I ever needed it to
resolve a problem.

I had a similar problem, when putting the XP disk into my cod drive. I
solved it by putting it into my primary drive which is my DVD drive, the CD
drive was the secondary drive. Ran flawlessly.

Bob
"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tried to run sfc /scannow.
>

> Got message "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now."
>

> With CD-ROM inserted, I got a list of four options: Install WinXP; Install
> optional Windows components; Perform additional tasks; Check system
> compatibility.
>
> I have no idea which one to choose.
>

> The window with the "Insert your CD-ROM now" message is still uppermost,
> and has a "Retry" button.
>
> So I click "Retry". The message goes momentarily, and then comes back
> again.
>
> I click "Retry" again, with the same result. The CD-Rom drive makes a
> noise, but nothing on the screen is changing. I am stuck.
>

> Can you help, please with my attempt to run sfc?
>

> Computer appears to be running all right apart from this problem with sfc.
> Just thought I would get some experience of sfc in case I ever needed it
> to resolve a problem.

Leanin'Cedar - I have tried using a CD drive and a DVD drive, and you
will have seen what I am getting - no progress with the CD drive, but with
the DVD drive the need to click "Retry" every eight percent or so of the
way. Interesting to read of your experience.

"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I had a similar problem, when putting the XP disk into my cod drive. I
>solved it by putting it into my primary drive which is my DVD drive, the CD
>drive was the secondary drive. Ran flawlessly.
>
> Bob

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)

Cycle wrote:
> Tried to run sfc /scannow.
>

> Got message "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now."
>

> With CD-ROM inserted, I got a list of four options: Install WinXP;
> Install optional Windows components; Perform additional tasks; Check
> system compatibility.
>
> I have no idea which one to choose.
>

> The window with the "Insert your CD-ROM now" message is still
> uppermost, and has a "Retry" button.
>
> So I click "Retry". The message goes momentarily, and then comes back
> again.
>
> I click "Retry" again, with the same result. The CD-Rom drive makes a
> noise, but nothing on the screen is changing. I am stuck.
>

> Can you help, please with my attempt to run sfc?
>

> Computer appears to be running all right apart from this problem with
> sfc. Just thought I would get some experience of sfc in case I ever
> needed it to resolve a problem.

Thank you for your response TaurArian, and I note the method used in the
article you mention, of getting files off the CD onto the computer so it
will not ask for the CD-ROM.

However, I should like if possible to insert the CD when asked for, and be
able to continue from there. This is something the article does not deal
with (as far as I can tell).

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
>

> Cycle wrote:
>> Tried to run sfc /scannow.
>>

>> Got message "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now."
>>

>> With CD-ROM inserted, I got a list of four options: Install WinXP;
>> Install optional Windows components; Perform additional tasks; Check
>> system compatibility.
>>
>> I have no idea which one to choose.
>>

>> The window with the "Insert your CD-ROM now" message is still
>> uppermost, and has a "Retry" button.
>>
>> So I click "Retry". The message goes momentarily, and then comes back
>> again. I click "Retry" again, with the same result. The CD-Rom drive
>> makes a
>> noise, but nothing on the screen is changing. I am stuck.
>>

>> Can you help, please with my attempt to run sfc?
>>

>> Computer appears to be running all right apart from this problem with
>> sfc. Just thought I would get some experience of sfc in case I ever
>> needed it to resolve a problem.

Place the Win XP CD in the CD drive.
When Autoplay starts just click the X and close it.
Click Start button, select Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and the
system should scan for missing/corrupt MS OS files and replace them with the
originals found on the disk.

The trick seems to be making sure the CD is in the default drive prior to issuing the
command.

Cycle wrote:
> Thank you for your response TaurArian, and I note the method used in
> the article you mention, of getting files off the CD onto the
> computer so it will not ask for the CD-ROM.
>
> However, I should like if possible to insert the CD when asked for,
> and be able to continue from there. This is something the article
> does not deal with (as far as I can tell).
>
> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>> Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
>>

>> Cycle wrote:
>>> Tried to run sfc /scannow.
>>>

>>> Got message "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now."
>>>

>>> With CD-ROM inserted, I got a list of four options: Install WinXP;
>>> Install optional Windows components; Perform additional tasks; Check
>>> system compatibility.
>>>
>>> I have no idea which one to choose.
>>>

>>> The window with the "Insert your CD-ROM now" message is still
>>> uppermost, and has a "Retry" button.
>>>
>>> So I click "Retry". The message goes momentarily, and then comes
>>> back again. I click "Retry" again, with the same result. The CD-Rom
>>> drive makes a
>>> noise, but nothing on the screen is changing. I am stuck.
>>>

>>> Can you help, please with my attempt to run sfc?
>>>

>>> Computer appears to be running all right apart from this problem
>>> with sfc. Just thought I would get some experience of sfc in case I
>>> ever needed it to resolve a problem.

Thank you TaurArian for the further suggestion.

I have tried your further suggestion, but unfortunately the computer still
shows that "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now" message, and clicking on "Retry"
gets me nowhere just as previously.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards.

Cycle.

> Place the Win XP CD in the CD drive.
> When Autoplay starts just click the X and close it.
> Click Start button, select Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the
> quotes and the system should scan for missing/corrupt MS OS files and
> replace them with the originals found on the disk.
>
> The trick seems to be making sure the CD is in the default drive prior to
> issuing the command.

You may have to press Retry several times before the System File Checking begins.
Have you got the CD in the default installation CD drive?

Cycle wrote:
> Thank you TaurArian for the further suggestion.
>
> I have tried your further suggestion, but unfortunately the computer
> still shows that "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now" message, and
> clicking on "Retry" gets me nowhere just as previously.
>
> Thank you for your interest.
>
> Regards.
>
> Cycle.
>
> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Place the Win XP CD in the CD drive.
>> When Autoplay starts just click the X and close it.
>> Click Start button, select Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the
>> quotes and the system should scan for missing/corrupt MS OS files and
>> replace them with the originals found on the disk.
>>
>> The trick seems to be making sure the CD is in the default drive
>> prior to issuing the command.

Hello TaurArian,

I think sfc ran and completed, following your latest help.

The progress bar went right to the end - is there any other way to know if
sfc completed? When the progress bar had filled its rectangle, everything
just disappeared from the screen with no message.

To keep things going to the end I had at intervals to click on "Retry"
twelve times; roughly every eight percent of the way the "insert your
CD-ROM" message appeared. I have never before in computing come across any
process where you have to keep on clicking to keep an application running. I
would not have done this without your guidance.

Thank you for spending your time and helping me on.

Regards

Cycle.

> You may have to press Retry several times before the System File Checking
> begins.
> Have you got the CD in the default installation CD drive?
>

> Cycle wrote:
>> Thank you TaurArian for the further suggestion.
>>
>> I have tried your further suggestion, but unfortunately the computer
>> still shows that "Insert your XP Pro CD-ROM now" message, and
>> clicking on "Retry" gets me nowhere just as previously.
>>
>> Thank you for your interest.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Cycle.
>>
>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Place the Win XP CD in the CD drive.
>>> When Autoplay starts just click the X and close it.
>>> Click Start button, select Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the
>>> quotes and the system should scan for missing/corrupt MS OS files and
>>> replace them with the originals found on the disk.
>>>
>>> The trick seems to be making sure the CD is in the default drive
>>> prior to issuing the command.

That is the way it works. SFC exits when finished - i.e. no dialogue box.

Check "event viewer" in Administrative tools for the SFC run details.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42cf1a28$0$13704$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
| Hello TaurArian,
|
| I think sfc ran and completed, following your latest help.
|
| The progress bar went right to the end - is there any other way to know if
| sfc completed? When the progress bar had filled its rectangle, everything
| just disappeared from the screen with no message.
|
| To keep things going to the end I had at intervals to click on "Retry"
| twelve times; roughly every eight percent of the way the "insert your
| CD-ROM" message appeared. I have never before in computing come across any
| process where you have to keep on clicking to keep an application running. I
| would not have done this without your guidance.
|
| Thank you for spending your time and helping me on.
|
| Regards
|
| Cycle.

Thanks for the information.

Cycle

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
That is the way it works. SFC exits when finished - i.e. no dialogue box.

Check "event viewer" in Administrative tools for the SFC run details.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hello TaurArian,
|
| I think sfc ran and completed, following your latest help.
|
| The progress bar went right to the end - is there any other way to know if
| sfc completed? When the progress bar had filled its rectangle, everything
| just disappeared from the screen with no message.
|
| To keep things going to the end I had at intervals to click on "Retry"
| twelve times; roughly every eight percent of the way the "insert your
| CD-ROM" message appeared. I have never before in computing come across any
| process where you have to keep on clicking to keep an application running.
| would not have done this without your guidance.
|
| Thank you for spending your time and helping me on.
|
| Regards
|
| Cycle.

Thank you to you all for your help.

It looks as if sfc is now running in a satisfactory way.

When prompted for the installation disk, I now know to put it in the primary
drive, and to keep clicking "Retry" when asked, which seems to be about
twelve times during a run of sfc.

I have been into Event Viewer, which I did not know about, and seen the
message "Windows File Protection file scan completed successfully".

Regards,

Cycle.

If you need to click retry every 8% then there is likely something wrong
with the drive or the cd is pretty scratched up/dirty. The need to keep
retrying suggests that the disk is not being read properly.

As for needing to keep clicking the retry button after you first insert the
disk, were you waiting for the drive to pick up the disk?
It takes a minute for optical drives to pick up the disk and start reading
it, they are fast, but not instant.