terry

I upgraded my computer from Win ME to WIN XP Home Edition.

I originally had a 20GB hardrive, which was kept with all my programs and
such as PSP, Outlook Express, etc. I had a 120 GB harddrive piggy-backed with
the 20GB and asked the technician who installed how to get my emails from the
20GB to the 120 under XP. I followed his instructions to the letter and all
dbx files were transferred over, but they do not show up in my Outlook under
XP. Can someone please help me^
Thanks
--
Terry

"Terry" <kat_61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I upgraded my computer from Win ME to WIN XP Home Edition.
>
> I originally had a 20GB hardrive, which was kept with all my programs
> and such as PSP, Outlook Express, etc. I had a 120 GB harddrive
> piggy-backed with the 20GB and asked the technician who installed how
> to get my emails from the 20GB to the 120 under XP. I followed his
> instructions to the letter and all dbx files were transferred over,
> but they do not show up in my Outlook under XP. Can someone please
> help me^
> Thanks

See http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/OEtopten.mspx#EBAA
Number 1

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location of your
current Identity's store. Write it down.

In WindowsXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as
hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files
and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View.

In Explorer, search for .DBX files. Any found which are not located in your
current store will most likely be those from your OE5 Identity. You can
Import them using File>Import>Messages....

Mail Folders, Address Book, Messages Missing After Upgrade to XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;q313055
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Terry wrote:
> I upgraded my computer from Win ME to WIN XP Home Edition.
>
> I originally had a 20GB hardrive, which was kept with all my programs and
> such as PSP, Outlook Express, etc. I had a 120 GB harddrive piggy-backed
> with the 20GB and asked the technician who installed how to get my emails
> from the 20GB to the 120 under XP. I followed his instructions to the
> letter and all dbx files were transferred over, but they do not show up in
> my Outlook under XP. Can someone please help me^
> Thanks

terry

I have all my email imported, but the folders that were already on my
computer do not show up. It only imported my Inbox, Sent, Delete , Out...but
not the folders with all my emails in them.

Thanks
--
Terry

> I have all my email imported, but the folders that were already on my
> computer do not show up. It only imported my Inbox, Sent, Delete ,
> Out...but not the folders with all my emails in them.
>
> Thanks

That usually indicates that Folders.dbx was missing. See the last paragraph
here:
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

terry

Hi Frank

I just checked and I did copy the Folders.dbx file over and they still do
not show up.

Thanks
--
Terry

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "Terry" <kat_61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > I have all my email imported, but the folders that were already on my
> > computer do not show up. It only imported my Inbox, Sent, Delete ,
> > Out...but not the folders with all my emails in them.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> That usually indicates that Folders.dbx was missing. See the last paragraph
> here:
> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Gordon

> Hi Frank
>
> I just checked and I did copy the Folders.dbx file over and they still do
> not show up.
>
> Thanks

How did you do the import?

terry

I did the import through File/Import/Mail Messages/ then went from there. I
actually did finally get my email folders moved,,,but they were empty??? I
thought it would move all my emails over also.

Thanks
--
Terry

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Terry" <kat_61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi Frank
> >
> > I just checked and I did copy the Folders.dbx file over and they still do
> > not show up.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> How did you do the import?

Gordon

>I did the import through File/Import/Mail Messages/ then went from there.
> actually did finally get my email folders moved,,,but they were empty??? I
> thought it would move all my emails over also.

They shouldn't be empty! What location did you copy the files to in order to
do the import?

terry

I made a new file folder on my desktop and transferred them all there. I
only did what I read to do in the instructions that everyone gave me.

Thanks
--
Terry

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Terry" <kat_61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >I did the import through File/Import/Mail Messages/ then went from there.
> > actually did finally get my email folders moved,,,but they were empty??? I
> > thought it would move all my emails over also.
>
> They shouldn't be empty! What location did you copy the files to in order to
> do the import?

Gordon

>I made a new file folder on my desktop and transferred them all there. I
> only did what I read to do in the instructions that everyone gave me.

Then that should have worked. Did you get any error message when importing?
Did you include the file called Folders.dbx when you transferred them?

terry

Hi Gordon

Yes I did insert Folders.dbx that is how I finally got all my folders...but
once transferred they were all empty and I received no error messages when
importing.

Thanks
--
Terry

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Terry" <kat_61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >I made a new file folder on my desktop and transferred them all there. I
> > only did what I read to do in the instructions that everyone gave me.
> >

> Then that should have worked. Did you get any error message when importing?
> Did you include the file called Folders.dbx when you transferred them?

The DBX files may have been damaged before you saved them. (Did you move
everything out of both Inbox and Sent Items to other local folders you
created and then compact all folders /before/ saving them?)

Run any of MVP Steve Cochran's DBXpress or DBXtract on the DBX files still
located in the Desktop folder. Any recovered messages then may be dragged
to an open OE folder. See http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.