Ironman Victory Report: Destroyer IronWind (long)

Last response: in Video Games
July 18, 2005 3:22:08 AM

My strategy with IronWind from the outset was to eschew the
shape-shifting tree entirely, using summons to tank while killing with
wind attacks from the rear. The long-term problem with this approach
is how to deal with double immunes in Hell. For that, I was counting
on being able to equip Ironwind and his rogue merc with gear that does
a lot of lightning, fire and especially poison damage. So he needed
drops, and his space constraints would be very severe.

So it begins... Blood Moor, Den and CP were uneventful. An early
strategic choice in ironman is whether to defeat Blood Raven before
clearing the Burial Ground area or after: later lets you level to 7
and possibly get a 7 rogue merc, while earlier allows you more areas
to level her if she is under 7. My own feeling is that waiting until
you make 7 is better, as you then have at least a chance of "leveling"
your merc with the same number of xp as your char, whereas if you get
her earlier, it takes far more xp to level her than the char, so you
get farther and farther ahead of her even if she does _all_ the
killing. It is a considerable advantage in ironman to get a 7 merc
when your char is 7, so maybe if the free merc is lower than that, an
ironman should be able to hire the best one Kashya offers at the time.

Unfortunately, Amplisa was only 5 when she joined IronWind on his
quest, so even though he soon gave her a nice two-gemmed hunter's bow
and let her kill almost everything but shamans (mercs never seem to
catch on to the idea of killing the shamans and greater mummies
first...) by running OS, a vine and one spirit wolf as tanks, she
still fell as much as five levels behind him when they were in the
Jail. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind making young mercs so
hard to level, but even though it is very slow and tedious to let the
rogue do all the killing, my ironmen always do so, to try to keep them
from falling so far behind the monsters that they die too easily. A
caught-up rogue merc with a decent bow justifies all this careful
nurturing: she is very powerful and durable in later acts.

Fortunately, finding a +3 OS falcon mask made it easy for both
IronWind and Amplisa to stay alive through the first two acts while
she caught up to him. IronWind took on Andariel at 17, when Amplisa
was 13. The infernal pin-up girl hit them with some poison clouds,
but having fortified themselves with antidote potions, they barely
noticed. Amplisa's new three-gemmed hunter's bow ended the demon
queen's reign of pain in under a minute, with Andy having only got
past the wolves a couple of times. IronWind asked Charsi to improve a
white wolf head before he joined the caravan heading east, but it was
unfortunately a waste of the buxom smith's borderline magical powers.
At that point in his quest his gear was not an issue anyway. He could
just as well have been playing naked.

After snagging a cube out in the desert to relieve his storage space
squeeze, IronWind returned to Lut Gholein to fulfill a request from
Atma, Amplisa quickly taking care of almost all the sewer-dwelling
monsters while she slowly caught up to IronWind in clvl (btw, can
anyone explain to me what Sand Raiders are doing in the sewers, while
the Dung Soldiers are all out in the desert?). The Maggot Lair was
quite a bit slower, as the till-now plucky rogue seemed a tad
squeamish about getting close enough to all those disgusting bugs to
shoot them. She had a close call with Coldworm when IronWind (the
idiot!) forgot to fortify her with an antidote potion before the
encounter, but the OS was by this time up to level 10, so she survived
with a sliver of hp to spare.

IronWind had found a wolf head with +1 Raven and +2 Wolverine just
before leaving A1, so tactics in most areas were now a piece of cake:
a spirit wolf in front to tank, HoW to speed up Amplisa's killing, a
Carrion Vine to save on red pots, and a couple of Ravens to blind the
occasional monster, with Amplisa's steady bunking from the rear doing
almost all of the damage. Beetleburst dropped Hsarus's boots (the
only notably good drop in A2), but those were of course put aside for
Diablo and NM. Duriel was surprisingly easy: like Andy, he never
managed to kill all three wolves, and consequently got few hits in on
either IronWind or Amplisa, who squashed him like, well, a bug.
IronWind booked passage with Meshif at clvl 23, while Amplisa was 21.

In the fetid jungles and moldering ruins of Kurast, Amplisa really
came into her own. She was soon higher level than most monsters, and
her three-gemmed comp bow killed them almost before IronWind and his
wolves even saw them. IronWind was accumulating fat purples at a
tremendous pace, having almost no call to use them as long as the
wolves were tanking. He was happy to see one of the chests on Level 2
of the Kurast Sewers yield up a +9 life regen ammy. Hmm. IronWind
already had a 26 FR ammy, but maybe we'll just put the 9 regen one
aside, along with Hsarus's boots....

Bremm Sparkfist gave IronWind a nasty scare when the OS took too many
hits and expired, leaving our hero short of hp in the middle of a
lightning storm. But his big investment in Vitality paid off and he
survived. Meph was his usual wimp self, and like Andy and Duriel, was
so distracted by the wolves that he got few hits on either Amplisa or
IronWind. With a thawing potion under her belt, Amplisa even took a
hit from the BBoD and survived. She and IronWind were both 26 heading
to the Pandy Fort.

Diablo was a different story altogether. A4 had been uneventful, and
even Heyphatso and the Infector were effectively neutralized by the
tanking wolves while Amplisa and IronWind took care of business.
Ironwind had 30 (count 'em, _30_) fat purples stored up by this time,
plus a dozen assorted blues and big reds. He and Amplisa were both 27
when he pulled on Hsarus's boots and the +3 OS falcon mask, put up
fresh cyclone armor, raven, three dire wolves, poison creeper and OS,
and approached the deadly pentagram.

The first hint that something might be amiss was when an arc of flame
passed him, and everything but the ravens and Amplisa disappeared from
his party in a blink, and Amplisa was suddenly down to 1/4 hp. Ouch.
Ironwind had not been hurt, but he quickly retreated and shoved a fat
purple into Amplisa (no, not _that_ kind of... oh, never mind -- but
yeah, he should have done that while he had the chance, too...) and
cast CA and another OS, creeper and wolves. On the next approach, he
actually got to see Diablo before retreating to give Amplisa another
fat purple and recast his minion army. It became clear at this point
that he was rapidly using up his potion inventory, but not doing any
damage to Diablo -- not a viable strategy for the long haul.

Thus began a protracted cat-and-mouse game as IronWind tried to get
close enough to do some damage to Diablo without losing Amplisa. She
was guzzling purples like a wino on an private tour of the Mateus
cellars, but hardly ever getting a shot in on the big fella. After
about twenty minutes of this, the purples were gone, and Diablo's life
bar was not even halfway down. Uh-oh. Soon afterward the inevitable
happened, and Ironwind had only his trusty raven for company as he
once more retreated from the fearsome reptile's attacks...

Now, I have to say that IMO the excessive Act boss damage to minions,
especially mercs, is a design flaw. If Bliz wanted to reduce minion
damage to Act bosses to a derisory level, fine, but for Normal Diablo
to be vaporizing a level 27 merc despite the kind of investment
IronWind had made in her preservation strikes me as highly unbalanced,
not to say arbitrary and unfair. It's essentially saying that if you
don't resurrect your mercs or hire new mercs, you can't _have_ a merc,
and that impoverishes the potential play variants.

Anyway, with IronWind's potions exhausted and no recharging shrines or
wells available, it came down to putting on the regen ammy, waiting
for full hp, casting his minions and CA, switching back to the 26 FR
ammy, and then running in for a quick attack before retreating to
regenerate hp again. IronWind was very grateful to have Hsarus's
boots, as they saved his skin a number of times. For the next hour,
he fought Diablo to a standstill without _any_ potions, slowly wearing
the demon's hp bar down, millimeter by millimeter.

At last the Lord of Terror was defeated (somebody tell Marius, I think
he'd want to know), dropping a Spineripper and a Culwen's Point, both
quite useful in their way.

IronWind trekked to chilly Harrogath mourning the faithful Amplisa
(who would have helped keep him warm at night as well as killing
monsters by day). Shortly after raising the seige of Harrogath by
killing Shenk the Overseer, IronWind gained the ability to cast
Hurricanes, which quickly destroyed most monsters and sped up his
progress considerably. The tundra, the ice caverns, the fiery pits,
even the Ancients did not pose any great obstacle to his increased
powers.

Only when confronted by the most powerful of Baal's minions, Lister
the Tormentor, did IronWind falter. This monster's rate of healing
was so prodigious that even three dire wolves, a poison creeper,
hurricane and tornadoes, all focussed on him at once, could not wear
him down by more than a fraction of his health. Perhaps if the brave
Amplisa had still been alive, the outcome would have been different;
but ultimately IronWind had no choice but to abandon the fight against
Lister, lead him deep into the red labyrinth, and leave him there
while he pursued Baal into the Worldstone Chamber.

At first, Ironwind felt hopeful that his battle with the Lord of
Destruction would soon be won. Yes, Baal and his summoned double did
terrible damage, and IronWind's wolves were useless here: only a
grizzly could endure the demon's wrath for more than a few seconds.
And IronWind started this fight with only six full rejuvenation
potions and a dozen reds and blues, a small fraction of his reserves
against Diablo. But he did not have Amplisa using his purples this
time, and by dint of hurricane and the Spineripper, he steadily wore
down the demon's life, expecting victory in just a few minutes. Each
time the second Baal appeared, IronWind would portal to Harrogath, and
when he returnd to the Worldstone Chamber, the other Baal was gone.

But then, when IronWind took some time to rest in Harrogath while his
life regenerated, disaster struck: Baal's health entirely recovered,
putting Ironwind right back where he started, but minus some potions,
Spineripper dur and town portal scrolls. So the +9 life regen ammy
was again pressed into service, and another cat and mouse game began.
IronWind could not leave Baal alone while his hp regenerated entirely,
so he had to keep returning to strike the demon, even when his health
was below half. Many times Baal killed IronWind's Oak Sage, leaving
him with less than 100 hp. Many times the demon summoned his double,
until at last Ironwind had used his last town portal scroll. He was
then trapped in the Worldstone Chamber with the Lord of Destruction,
and only one of them would leave it alive.

Baal's health then again recovered entirely. And twenty minutes
later, it did the same again. After fighting Baal for an hour,
IronWind had two full purples, no reds, three greater blues and no
town portal scrolls; and Baal was back to full health.

Despair seized IronWind. As with Lister, how could he defeat this
demon if its health kept recovering faster than he could cut it down?
IronWind stepped up his pace of returning to strike Baal, chancing it
even while his health was well below half. Over the next two hours,
he slowly wore Baal down, giving the demon no time to heal, slowly
building up his own life reserve to make the next attack, then losing
it again as Baal summoned his double to the fray.

Finally, the Lord of Destruction howled with outrage and fury on
realizing that he, as well as his brothers, had indeed died in vain
after all. The most useful thing he dropped was a scroll of town
portal, which allowed IronWind to return one last time to Harrogath to
get his shield repaired and socketed for a pdiamond by Larzuk and his
armor repaired and personalized by Anya. Destroyer IronWind. It has
a nice ring.

So it begins...

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:57:19 AM

Don't you need to kill every critter you see in Ironman?

Ian
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:25:07 PM

So you don't need to kill any critters at all apart from Andy,
Duriel, Meph, Diablo and Baal?

I read the rules differently (found here:
http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/forge.html)

* Ironmen fight what they face, and must clear a clean "path"
from town to the Act boss, killing all bosses seen on the way
or known to be in an area along the path.

* No repairs, no buying/selling, no gambling whatsoever.

Still, your variant also sounds challenging enough.

Ian
July 18, 2005 8:00:13 PM

On 18 Jul 2005 01:57:19 -0700, oversby@hotmail.com wrote:

>Don't you need to kill every critter you see in Ironman?

No, but if you don't kill one, that's the end of your record unless
you kill the next act boss.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:35:22 PM

On 18 Jul 2005 09:25:07 -0700, oversby@hotmail.com wrote:

>So you don't need to kill any critters at all apart from Andy,
>Duriel, Meph, Diablo and Baal?

Hehe. Try even _getting_ to Andy without killing anything. In
practise you want to be as high level as you can, and you are not
allowed to repeat areas, so the only monsters you don't kill are
monsters you can't kill.

>I read the rules differently (found here:
>http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/forge.html)
>
>* Ironmen fight what they face, and must clear a clean "path"
>from town to the Act boss, killing all bosses seen on the way
>or known to be in an area along the path.

In principle, that's correct. But the fact is, sometimes a boss will
roll with mods you can't handle at all, especially in Hell. In
IronWind's case, Lister seemed to have spawned with anomalously fast
health regeneration. It was _really_, visibly fast, like about 10
seconds to completely regain his hp. According to d2data.net, Lister
has damage regen of 2, while Achmel, e.g., has regen of 3. But in
fact Achmel's regen was visibly slower than Lister's and he was
trivially easy to kill, while Lister was clearly impossible to kill.

>* No repairs, no buying/selling, no gambling whatsoever.

Right, except as per quest completions. You are also allowed to buy
one tome of TP and one of ID from Akara, but must discard the number
of scrolls in the tome.

>Still, your variant also sounds challenging enough.

Yep. In D2, unlike D1, ironman is exponentially harder for a solo
than a team.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:35:23 PM

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:42dbfb22.11777605@news.telus.net...
> On 18 Jul 2005 09:25:07 -0700, oversby@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >So you don't need to kill any critters at all apart from Andy,
> >Duriel, Meph, Diablo and Baal?
>
> Hehe. Try even _getting_ to Andy without killing anything. In
> practise you want to be as high level as you can, and you are not
> allowed to repeat areas, so the only monsters you don't kill are
> monsters you can't kill.

Yeah, some other Freak like Mark or someone did the "only kill what you have
to" builds.........I can't remember how far he got.

> >I read the rules differently (found here:
> >http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/forge.html)
> >
> >* Ironmen fight what they face, and must clear a clean "path"
> >from town to the Act boss, killing all bosses seen on the way
> >or known to be in an area along the path.
>
> In principle, that's correct. But the fact is, sometimes a boss will
> roll with mods you can't handle at all, especially in Hell. In
> IronWind's case, Lister seemed to have spawned with anomalously fast
> health regeneration. It was _really_, visibly fast, like about 10
> seconds to completely regain his hp. According to d2data.net, Lister
> has damage regen of 2, while Achmel, e.g., has regen of 3. But in
> fact Achmel's regen was visibly slower than Lister's and he was
> trivially easy to kill, while Lister was clearly impossible to kill.

I think that's because Lister has at least 5 gazillion more HP's than
Achmed.

> >* No repairs, no buying/selling, no gambling whatsoever.
>
> Right, except as per quest completions. You are also allowed to buy
> one tome of TP and one of ID from Akara, but must discard the number
> of scrolls in the tome.

That's screwed up :o )

short

July 19, 2005 4:12:34 AM

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, some other Freak like Mark or someone did the "only kill what you
> have
> to" builds.........I can't remember how far he got.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

"... I feel like letting my freak flag fly ..."

Limbo-Jr.
Killed normal Baal at L9, NM Diablo at L14. I forget why, but I leveled from
14-18 preparing for the NM Ancients, but died there anyway.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 19, 2005 4:12:41 AM

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:42dbfb22.11777605@news.telus.net...

> Hehe. Try even _getting_ to Andy without killing anything.

They had a tournament over at the Single Player Forum. Several folks killed
Andy with a L1 untwinked character. I forget how much experience the winner
had, but they only killed Andy.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 19, 2005 4:12:48 AM

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:42daa507.9102080@news.telus.net...

> Over the next two hours,
> he slowly wore Baal down, giving the demon no time to heal, slowly
> building up his own life reserve to make the next attack, then losing
> it again as Baal summoned his double to the fray.

Was this SP or did you play on the Realms? If SP did you pause it and take
any breaks, or fight it all out in a marathon?

These epic battles, where you need to utilize all your strategies and
tactical skills are some of the greatest moments in D2/LoD. And they lead to
the best memories. Congratulations on a fine accomplishment.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:08:56 AM

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:14:36 -0400, "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net>
wrote:

><royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:42dbfb22.11777605@news.telus.net...
>> On 18 Jul 2005 09:25:07 -0700, oversby@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> >I read the rules differently (found here:
>> >http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/forge.html)
>> >
>> >* Ironmen fight what they face, and must clear a clean "path"
>> >from town to the Act boss, killing all bosses seen on the way
>> >or known to be in an area along the path.
>>
>> In principle, that's correct. But the fact is, sometimes a boss will
>> roll with mods you can't handle at all, especially in Hell. In
>> IronWind's case, Lister seemed to have spawned with anomalously fast
>> health regeneration. It was _really_, visibly fast, like about 10
>> seconds to completely regain his hp. According to d2data.net, Lister
>> has damage regen of 2, while Achmel, e.g., has regen of 3. But in
>> fact Achmel's regen was visibly slower than Lister's and he was
>> trivially easy to kill, while Lister was clearly impossible to kill.
>>
>I think that's because Lister has at least 5 gazillion more HP's than
>Achmed.

He has about five times as many. But that's not what I meant. I
meant that just looking at Lister's life bar, it was recovering
incredibly fast, faster than Achmed's. I've checked, and Lister
normally takes about 1 minute and 20 seconds to fully regen in normal.
What I saw was at least five times that fast. I have no explanation
for it.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:13:48 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:12:48 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>
wrote:

><royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:42daa507.9102080@news.telus.net...
>>
>> Over the next two hours,
>> he slowly wore Baal down, giving the demon no time to heal, slowly
>> building up his own life reserve to make the next attack, then losing
>> it again as Baal summoned his double to the fray.
>
>Was this SP or did you play on the Realms?

SP.

>If SP did you pause it and take
>any breaks, or fight it all out in a marathon?

One bathroom break, IIRC. I didn't bother pausing the game, because
that would have wasted regen time. There was no danger where I was
holed up at the top of the WSC.

>These epic battles, where you need to utilize all your strategies and
>tactical skills are some of the greatest moments in D2/LoD. And they lead to
>the best memories. Congratulations on a fine accomplishment.

Yep, oddly enough, it's the hardest battles one enjoys the most.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:42:36 AM

royls@telus.net schrieb:

<snipping great Ironman report>

> Only when confronted by the most powerful of Baal's minions, Lister
> the Tormentor, did IronWind falter. This monster's rate of healing
> was so prodigious that even three dire wolves, a poison creeper,
> hurricane and tornadoes, all focussed on him at once, could not wear
> him down by more than a fraction of his health. Perhaps if the brave
> Amplisa had still been alive, the outcome would have been different;
> but ultimately IronWind had no choice but to abandon the fight against
> Lister, lead him deep into the red labyrinth, and leave him there
> while he pursued Baal into the Worldstone Chamber.

That's just where my last Irongirl project ended. My Javazon was unable
to kill any of Listers Minions (not to speak of Lister himself) with
slvl 17 Plague Javelin boosted by lvl 11 Poison Javelin (that's
2590-2683 over 9.4 seconds). Their heal rate was just too high. Although
I managed to kill all the minions with slvl 1 Charged Strike I was
unable to use that strategy against Lister. He simply hits too hard (hit
recovery is a real problem for zons with one handed weapons) and I had
almost no potions left. A few tries later (like attacking with a PRuby
sword and such) even these potions were gone and I had to give up the fight.

Of course, I though about parking Lister too. But that violates my
personal Ironman rules. But I learned a lesson: You need a weapon with
prevent monster heal. I even had rolled a jav with PMH early on (3
chippy recipe) but did not keep it because I did not realized it's uses
at that point.

---
Hannes

PS: I had a weapon with PMH in the inventory, a Ceremonial Javelin I got
from Anya. 30 more points in dex and I could have won the battle :-/
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:54:34 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:42:36 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>
><snipping great Ironman report>
>
>> Only when confronted by the most powerful of Baal's minions, Lister
>> the Tormentor, did IronWind falter. This monster's rate of healing
>> was so prodigious that even three dire wolves, a poison creeper,
>> hurricane and tornadoes, all focussed on him at once, could not wear
>> him down by more than a fraction of his health. Perhaps if the brave
>> Amplisa had still been alive, the outcome would have been different;
>> but ultimately IronWind had no choice but to abandon the fight against
>> Lister, lead him deep into the red labyrinth, and leave him there
>> while he pursued Baal into the Worldstone Chamber.
>
>That's just where my last Irongirl project ended. My Javazon was unable
>to kill any of Listers Minions (not to speak of Lister himself) with
>slvl 17 Plague Javelin boosted by lvl 11 Poison Javelin (that's
>2590-2683 over 9.4 seconds). Their heal rate was just too high.

But according to the monster data I've seen, their healing should not
be anywhere near fast enough to deal with such huge doses of poison.

>Although
>I managed to kill all the minions with slvl 1 Charged Strike I was
>unable to use that strategy against Lister.

There is something seriously bogus about that.

>He simply hits too hard (hit
>recovery is a real problem for zons with one handed weapons) and I had
>almost no potions left. A few tries later (like attacking with a PRuby
>sword and such) even these potions were gone and I had to give up the fight.

Did you notice Lister's and/or the minions' healing being way faster
than it should have been? I thought it had something to do with the
fact that I was playing SP, but IIRC you play your ironmen on the
realm. The best I managed was getting him about 1/4 of the way down,
and it was literally only about five seconds until he was fully
healed.

>Of course, I though about parking Lister too. But that violates my
>personal Ironman rules. But I learned a lesson: You need a weapon with
>prevent monster heal. I even had rolled a jav with PMH early on (3
>chippy recipe) but did not keep it because I did not realized it's uses
>at that point.

Yes, PMH is huge in solo ironman. IronWind just hadn't found anything
that had it, unfortunately. All the same, my ironman hammerdin and
trapper both felled Lister pretty easily without it, so maybe there is
something else going on. I am particularly peeved to hear that a PJ
with that kind of power could not even kill the lesser minions.

>PS: I had a weapon with PMH in the inventory, a Ceremonial Javelin I got
>from Anya. 30 more points in dex and I could have won the battle :-/

Arrgh...

Anyway, it was a worthy attempt and my hat's off to you, especially as
my ironman javazon died to Duriel...

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:01:38 PM

royls@telus.net schrieb:
>>He simply hits too hard (hit
>>recovery is a real problem for zons with one handed weapons) and I had
>>almost no potions left. A few tries later (like attacking with a PRuby
>>sword and such) even these potions were gone and I had to give up the fight.
>
> Did you notice Lister's and/or the minions' healing being way faster
> than it should have been? I thought it had something to do with the
> fact that I was playing SP, but IIRC you play your ironmen on the
> realm. The best I managed was getting him about 1/4 of the way down,
> and it was literally only about five seconds until he was fully
> healed.

Yes, I always play closed BNet these days. I actually saw the life bar
moving down a bit. But as soon as I failed to hit him with another PJ
before the previous one wears off he was at full life again. I also
noticed that the PJ duration does not stack, so throwing a PJ to early
doesn't make sense.

>>Of course, I though about parking Lister too. But that violates my
>>personal Ironman rules. But I learned a lesson: You need a weapon with
>>prevent monster heal. I even had rolled a jav with PMH early on (3
>>chippy recipe) but did not keep it because I did not realized it's uses
>>at that point.
>
> Yes, PMH is huge in solo ironman. IronWind just hadn't found anything
> that had it, unfortunately. All the same, my ironman hammerdin and
> trapper both felled Lister pretty easily without it, so maybe there is
> something else going on. I am particularly peeved to hear that a PJ
> with that kind of power could not even kill the lesser minions.

I could give the Lister fight another go with the help of a high level
char in order to find out if we had just a bad roll or if it's always
that way.

>>PS: I had a weapon with PMH in the inventory, a Ceremonial Javelin I got
>
>>from Anya. 30 more points in dex and I could have won the battle :-/
>
> Arrgh...
>
> Anyway, it was a worthy attempt and my hat's off to you, especially as
> my ironman javazon died to Duriel...

Maybe one day I will be in the mood to try it again. But the fights
especially with Reanimated Horde type critters (they have at least 70
resists to poison - BTW does 'full clear' implies that you have to kill
all those self rising bastards too?) were a bit too tedious for me ...

---
Hannes
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:01:39 PM

Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de> writes:
>BTW does 'full clear' implies that you have to kill
>all those self rising bastards too?

AFAIK you get Exp for them after they rise again (unlike those who are
risen by a boss), so normally you will probably want them to rerise as
often as possible in Ironman, no?

- anton
--
Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm
Anonymous

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:01:38 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>>
>> Yes, PMH is huge in solo ironman. IronWind just hadn't found anything
>> that had it, unfortunately. All the same, my ironman hammerdin and
>> trapper both felled Lister pretty easily without it, so maybe there is
>> something else going on. I am particularly peeved to hear that a PJ
>> with that kind of power could not even kill the lesser minions.
>
>I could give the Lister fight another go with the help of a high level
>char in order to find out if we had just a bad roll or if it's always
>that way.

I checked with high-level chars in both SP and realm play, and Lister
takes about 80 seconds to fully heal in Normal. That is obviously way
slower than what IronWind saw.

>>>PS: I had a weapon with PMH in the inventory, a Ceremonial Javelin I got
>>
>>>from Anya. 30 more points in dex and I could have won the battle :-/
>>
>> Arrgh...
>>
>> Anyway, it was a worthy attempt and my hat's off to you, especially as
>> my ironman javazon died to Duriel...
>
>Maybe one day I will be in the mood to try it again. But the fights
>especially with Reanimated Horde type critters (they have at least 70
>resists to poison - BTW does 'full clear' implies that you have to kill
>all those self rising bastards too?)

Yes, though as I said before, if you kill the Act boss you get credit
for the act regardless of monsters not killed, wps not opened and
quests not completed. This is in line with the D1 ironman tradition
that killing Diablo is a victory regardless of other monsters left
alive. It's just that if you don't kill the Act boss, your record
does not go past the last surviving monster.

> were a bit too tedious for me ...

Well, that's what LF is for. You actually want them to rise again,
because unlike shaman and mummy revives, you get xp for killing them.
But it can be a pain because you have to check to be sure they have
not revived in a place where you didn't see them.

-- Roy L
!