font/unicode question

I have kind of an odd/tough question. I have a font with several characters
that are encoded only in Unicode...I think. When I open up Character Map, I
can see the characters there and it of course gives me the Unicode numbers
for it. These characters have no corresponding keyboard key or Alt code. They
appear to be solely Unicode. Normally, in such a case, in the Character Map I
can hit Select and Copy and then paste the character in whatever text program
I want. For some reason though, I can't with these characters. I don't know
if the font is damaged or what. I've tried everything I can think of but it
won't allow me to use them. Is there a way to straight type in a Unicode
character given the Unicode coding numbers or is the Select and Copy the only
way to access these?
*confused and annoyed*

Do these characters have a name?

A Font type?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:922AA1A7-5B07-4AFA-9DC3-4C50C0F44312@microsoft.com,
CallistaZM <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have kind of an odd/tough question. I have a font with several
> characters that are encoded only in Unicode...I think. When I open up
> Character Map, I can see the characters there and it of course gives me
> the Unicode numbers for it. These characters have no corresponding
> keyboard key or Alt code. They appear to be solely Unicode. Normally, in
> such a case, in the Character Map I can hit Select and Copy and then
> paste the character in whatever text program I want. For some reason
> though, I can't with these characters. I don't know if the font is
> damaged or what. I've tried everything I can think of but it won't allow
> me to use them. Is there a way to straight type in a Unicode character
> given the Unicode coding numbers or is the Select and Copy the only way
> to access these? *confused and annoyed*

What do you mean? The font is called Hiragana Regular. The characters in
question are Hiragana (Japanese) letters. Most of the Hiragana set is in the
regular keyboard with some in Alt codes. Just a few are inaccessable to me,
but without them, I don't have access to the whole set of Hiragana letters.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Do these characters have a name?
>
> A Font type?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:922AA1A7-5B07-4AFA-9DC3-4C50C0F44312@microsoft.com,
> CallistaZM <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have kind of an odd/tough question. I have a font with several
> > characters that are encoded only in Unicode...I think. When I open up
> > Character Map, I can see the characters there and it of course gives me
> > the Unicode numbers for it. These characters have no corresponding
> > keyboard key or Alt code. They appear to be solely Unicode. Normally, in
> > such a case, in the Character Map I can hit Select and Copy and then
> > paste the character in whatever text program I want. For some reason
> > though, I can't with these characters. I don't know if the font is
> > damaged or what. I've tried everything I can think of but it won't allow
> > me to use them. Is there a way to straight type in a Unicode character
> > given the Unicode coding numbers or is the Select and Copy the only way
> > to access these? *confused and annoyed*

What do I mean?

I mean that I can't help you.

I do not have that font, so I do not know if yours is damaged or not.

Do you have the Japanese language installed?

Do you have the Japanese keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME)
installed?

[[Regional and Language Options overview

You can also choose from a large number of input languages and text
services, such as different keyboard layouts, Input Method Editors, and
speech and handwriting recognition programs. When you switch to another
input language, some programs offer special features, such as font
characters or spelling checkers designed for different languages.

input language
The specification of the language you want to type in. Some programs that
are designed for Windows recognize this setting. When you add a new input
language, a keyboard layout for that language is also added.

text service
A program that enables a user to enter or edit text. Text services include
keyboard layouts, handwriting and speech recognition programs, and Input
Method Editors (IMEs). IMEs are used to enter East Asian language characters
with a keyboard.

Input Method Editor (IME)
Programs used to enter the thousands of different characters in written
Asian languages with a standard 101-key keyboard. An IME consists of both an
engine that converts keystrokes into phonetic and ideographic characters and
a dictionary of commonly used ideographic words. As the user enters
keystrokes, the IME engine attempts to identify which character or
characters the keystrokes should be converted into.

However, if you want to enter or display text in the East Asian languages
(Chinese, Japanese, or Korean) or the complex script and right-to-left
languages (Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, the Indic languages, Thai, or
Vietnamese), you can install the language files from the Windows CD-ROM or,
if applicable, a network.

Each language has a default keyboard layout, but many languages have
alternate versions. Even if you do most of your work in one language, you
might want to try other layouts. In English, for example, typing letters
with accents might be simpler with the U.S.-International layout. ]]
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lang_multilang_doc_overview.mspx

To install East Asian language files on your computer
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/int_pr_install_languages.mspx

To add another keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/input_kbd_add_kbd_layout.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2721B5E4-BB71-4DF7-9792-80258E69226A@microsoft.com,
CallistaZM <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> What do you mean? The font is called Hiragana Regular. The characters in
> question are Hiragana (Japanese) letters. Most of the Hiragana set is in
> the regular keyboard with some in Alt codes. Just a few are inaccessable
> to me, but without them, I don't have access to the whole set of Hiragana
> letters.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Do these characters have a name?
>>
>> A Font type?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:922AA1A7-5B07-4AFA-9DC3-4C50C0F44312@microsoft.com,
>> CallistaZM <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have kind of an odd/tough question. I have a font with several
>>> characters that are encoded only in Unicode...I think. When I open up
>>> Character Map, I can see the characters there and it of course gives me
>>> the Unicode numbers for it. These characters have no corresponding
>>> keyboard key or Alt code. They appear to be solely Unicode. Normally, in
>>> such a case, in the Character Map I can hit Select and Copy and then
>>> paste the character in whatever text program I want. For some reason
>>> though, I can't with these characters. I don't know if the font is
>>> damaged or what. I've tried everything I can think of but it won't allow
>>> me to use them. Is there a way to straight type in a Unicode character
>>> given the Unicode coding numbers or is the Select and Copy the only way
>>> to access these? *confused and annoyed*

How many english speakers speak Japanese. Ask in a jap group.

"CallistaZM" <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2721B5E4-BB71-4DF7-9792-80258E69226A@microsoft.com...
> What do you mean? The font is called Hiragana Regular. The characters in
> question are Hiragana (Japanese) letters. Most of the Hiragana set is in the
> regular keyboard with some in Alt codes. Just a few are inaccessable to me,
> but without them, I don't have access to the whole set of Hiragana letters.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Do these characters have a name?
>>
>> A Font type?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:922AA1A7-5B07-4AFA-9DC3-4C50C0F44312@microsoft.com,
>> CallistaZM <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > I have kind of an odd/tough question. I have a font with several
>> > characters that are encoded only in Unicode...I think. When I open up
>> > Character Map, I can see the characters there and it of course gives me
>> > the Unicode numbers for it. These characters have no corresponding
>> > keyboard key or Alt code. They appear to be solely Unicode. Normally, in
>> > such a case, in the Character Map I can hit Select and Copy and then
>> > paste the character in whatever text program I want. For some reason
>> > though, I can't with these characters. I don't know if the font is
>> > damaged or what. I've tried everything I can think of but it won't allow
>> > me to use them. Is there a way to straight type in a Unicode character
>> > given the Unicode coding numbers or is the Select and Copy the only way
>> > to access these? *confused and annoyed*

Thank you for your rude reply. :p
It's not a Japanese language program, it's just a regular font like any
other. It has characters only available in unicode, just like any other font
might, hell Times New Roman has this same issue. The only reason these font
characters are this important to me is because I'm studying Japanese and need
to be able to use these font characters. The problem itself has nothing to do
with the fact that it's Japanese. :p

"David Candy" wrote:

> How many english speakers speak Japanese. Ask in a jap group.

> "CallistaZM" <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2721B5E4-BB71-4DF7-9792-80258E69226A@microsoft.com...
> > What do you mean? The font is called Hiragana Regular. The characters in
> > question are Hiragana (Japanese) letters. Most of the Hiragana set is in the
> > regular keyboard with some in Alt codes. Just a few are inaccessable to me,
> > but without them, I don't have access to the whole set of Hiragana letters.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Do these characters have a name?
> >>
> >> A Font type?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:922AA1A7-5B07-4AFA-9DC3-4C50C0F44312@microsoft.com,
> >> CallistaZM <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

English doesn't support japanese although can be configured to and then it will work like the jap version. And the japs know what you have to do to make it work. If you think common sense is rude ...,

"CallistaZM" <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B556A77-E167-4335-87BB-7D217FAE0167@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your rude reply. :p
> It's not a Japanese language program, it's just a regular font like any
> other. It has characters only available in unicode, just like any other font
> might, hell Times New Roman has this same issue. The only reason these font
> characters are this important to me is because I'm studying Japanese and need
> to be able to use these font characters. The problem itself has nothing to do
> with the fact that it's Japanese. :p
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> How many english speakers speak Japanese. Ask in a jap group.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "CallistaZM" <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2721B5E4-BB71-4DF7-9792-80258E69226A@microsoft.com...
>> > What do you mean? The font is called Hiragana Regular. The characters in
>> > question are Hiragana (Japanese) letters. Most of the Hiragana set is in the
>> > regular keyboard with some in Alt codes. Just a few are inaccessable to me,
>> > but without them, I don't have access to the whole set of Hiragana letters.

It's not common sense at all because you completely misunderstood what I was
asking. Read my reply again and then read the post that answered my question
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&mid=bd77536e-b18a-4ec7-8623-67efb0f59386&tid=ee49e4af-713c-485d-a20e-eb6d0d3e1003

"David Candy" wrote:

> English doesn't support japanese although can be configured to and then it will work like the jap version. And the japs know what you have to do to make it work. If you think common sense is rude ...,

> "CallistaZM" <CallistaZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B556A77-E167-4335-87BB-7D217FAE0167@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you for your rude reply. :p
> > It's not a Japanese language program, it's just a regular font like any
> > other. It has characters only available in unicode, just like any other font
> > might, hell Times New Roman has this same issue. The only reason these font
> > characters are this important to me is because I'm studying Japanese and need
> > to be able to use these font characters. The problem itself has nothing to do
> > with the fact that it's Japanese. :p
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> How many english speakers speak Japanese. Ask in a jap group.
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html

We have a continue procession of morons like you that insist on asking forgein language question in the english groups. I answer questions like this for english speakers. Jap questions go to the japs. Spanish questions to the spanish.