Removing A-v- software on w-xp-Dell

Hi .......all
What do i need to do BEFORE i completely remove my antivirus software(norton
A-V 2005) , to a new A-V-software,,,,Which i'll be installing soon.

Thanks to all who reply.................MUCH APPRECIATED.........
6 answers Last reply
More about removing software dell

    Hi,

    Uninstall it via Add & Remove, then visit Symantec's support and grab a
    clean up tool. They have one for most versions of their software as the
    uninstall routines tend to miss a lot of the tendrils they dig into the
    system.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "miky" <miky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi .......all
    > What do i need to do BEFORE i completely remove my antivirus
    > software(norton
    > A-V 2005) , to a new A-V-software,,,,Which i'll be installing soon.
    >

    > Thanks to all who reply.................MUCH APPRECIATED.........

    "miky" <miky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi .......all
    > What do i need to do BEFORE i completely remove my antivirus
    > software(norton
    > A-V 2005) , to a new A-V-software,,,,Which i'll be installing soon.
    >

    > Thanks to all who reply.................MUCH APPRECIATED.........

    Nothing.......just un-install and install your new package......

    Here is what I did.

    Uninstall the dangerous Norton AV. Dangerous: it caused my wife's computer
    to crash, requiring reinstalling the OS.

    Open Services. Stop and disable all Norton services.

    Search the registry. Find Norton. Delete. This works only if the services
    were stopped.

    Delete all directories with Norton.

    Reboot.

    miky wrote:
    > Hi .......all
    > What do i need to do BEFORE i completely remove my antivirus software(norton
    > A-V 2005) , to a new A-V-software,,,,Which i'll be installing soon.
    >

    > Thanks to all who reply.................MUCH APPRECIATED.........

    Nothing special. Install the new antivirus application, update its
    virus definition files, and then uninstall the NAV.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Sanford Aranoff wrote:
    > Here is what I did.
    >
    > Uninstall the dangerous Norton AV. Dangerous: it caused my wife's computer
    > to crash, requiring reinstalling the OS.

    Dangerous only if misunderstood and misconfigured, or perhaps if
    initially installed by an incompetent individual.

    > Open Services. Stop and disable all Norton services.

    Uninstalling via the normal Add/Remove Programs applet will, in the
    overwhelming majority of cases, make this step completely unnecessary.

    > Search the registry. Find Norton. Delete. This works only if the services
    > were stopped.

    Uninstalling via the normal Add/Remove Programs applet will, in the
    overwhelming majority of cases, make this step completely unnecessary.

    > Delete all directories with Norton.

    Your method would be necessary only if both the normal uninstall
    procedure and Symantec's removal tool fails.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > Sanford Aranoff wrote:
    > > Here is what I did.
    > >
    > > Uninstall the dangerous Norton AV. Dangerous: it caused my wife's computer
    > > to crash, requiring reinstalling the OS.
    > >

    > Dangerous only if misunderstood and misconfigured, or perhaps if
    > initially installed by an incompetent individual.

    This is unacceptable. If "an incompetent individual" can do such damage with the
    install, the install routine is no good, and verifies my statement that Norton
    AV is no good.

    > > Open Services. Stop and disable all Norton services.
    > >

    > Uninstalling via the normal Add/Remove Programs applet will, in the
    > overwhelming majority of cases, make this step completely unnecessary.
    >
    > > Search the registry. Find Norton. Delete. This works only if the services
    > > were stopped.
    > >

    > Uninstalling via the normal Add/Remove Programs applet will, in the
    > overwhelming majority of cases, make this step completely unnecessary.

    "the overwhelming majority ". True, except for Norton.

    > > Delete all directories with Norton.
    > >

    > Your method would be necessary only if both the normal uninstall
    > procedure and Symantec's removal tool fails.

    Which is the case for Symantec.

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: