Directx has encountered an unrecoverable error + display driver crash

trialslife

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Hi all

Got a problem with my graphics drivers/directx/something else......

Went to play BF2 the other day, kept on crashing to desktop, then crashed to the point of restarting the pc. This time I thought I would try COD 4, too see if that worked. In COD4 the screen seemed to freeze, but not the rest of the system as I could hear the game running in the background. This time I managed to CTRL+ALT+DEL out of it, and it popped up with the error "DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error". So I then went to try another game Live for speed, a racing sim. The game just locked up on me, including the sound this time.

-----------------------------
I decided the first thing to do was to re-install the graphics driver to an older version. Did that, then when it was about to display the log in screen, the screen went blank although I could still hear windows start up if I happened to click in the right place. I could access windows through safe mode, to uninstall the graphics drivers, but making sure I removed every existance of them this time!!! Then I was able to boot into windows on the stock drivers. I reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and I was then able to get into windows with the nvidia drivers running.
(Above problem seems to be solved, but I though I would include it incase it had anything to do what is happening with the games)
----------------------------

So after that, I tried running COD4 again, same error. Tried the other games, all froze.

Everything was running smoothly before this, I was even running operation flashpoint 2 and full.

I don't think its the drivers, I've tried a number of versions now with the same results. Could it be a problem with DirectX itself?

My system specs are;

MOBO: ASUS PK5
CPU: 2.6 Core 2 Duo
Graphics: 9800GX2
Ram: 4GB Corsair 800mhz
Hard drives: 3x 500mb samsung
PSU: Jeantech Storm 700W
Monitor: ASUS VH226H 22" 16:9 HD

Cheers.

trialslife

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Right. Seems you cant just "reinstall dx10". Well, maybe you can in some awkward way. So I reinstalled vista, then updated Dx10.

I installed the latest nvidia drivers for my 9800gx2, installed a game "LFS", started playing it for a while. Then it crashed, and now with any driver installed I can not see anything past the window loading bar. In other words, as soon as the windows loading bar is finished the screen goes blank.

Only way to rectify it is to boot to safe mode, and uninstall the graphics drivers and just use the stock drivers.

Anybody got any ideas on this?