SATA Boot drive NOT!

SATA Boot drive NOT! Actually that's only half true. As long as there's no
major malfunction it boots fine from that drive.

After the floppy disaster I spent the day setting up all the drives correctly
according to the motherboard directions.

I now have the Drives as primaries, and the DVD,CD as secondary.
But there's 3 hard Drives the floppy, and the DVD and CD, and HP just added a
virtual drive.

I have
A: Floppy
C: SATA 152 gig boot Master
D: Memorex Dual layer DVD Master
E: HP 9300 CD Slave
F: 300 gig Maxtor IDE 10 gig IDE Maxtor data HD Master
G: 10 gig Maxtor IDE Slave
H: HP removable disk 0 bytes ?????

D and E chained to IDE secondary
F and G chained to IDE primary

Used to boot and not be able to find any of the drives on the 1st page boot
screen , but it still booted despite that and never lost a drive till I had to
install the OS again.

Now it identifies all the drives and accessories at bootup [takes a bit longer
now] on the 1st boot page, and the 2nd boot page that shows primary secondary,
they're missing. This might be interesting to fix also, but doesn't seem to
affect anything.

I already found out how to fix it if there's a major crash that screws the
motherboard settings again. Something that really shouldn't happen, but it has.

When it boots and says can't find OS that's when it starts looking for the OS
on A: Oh yeah, an OS that takes up more than a gig of HD on a 1.44 meg floppy.

How Do I get the SATA C: to replace A: the floppy when the next crash occurs ?
Or is A: just the way the motherboard configures it's defaults ?

A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives. The first available hard drive
letter is C:

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> SATA Boot drive NOT! Actually that's only half true. As long as there's no
> major malfunction it boots fine from that drive.
>
> After the floppy disaster I spent the day setting up all the drives
> correctly
> according to the motherboard directions.
>
> I now have the Drives as primaries, and the DVD,CD as secondary.
> But there's 3 hard Drives the floppy, and the DVD and CD, and HP just
> added a
> virtual drive.
>
> I have
> A: Floppy
> C: SATA 152 gig boot Master
> D: Memorex Dual layer DVD Master
> E: HP 9300 CD Slave
> F: 300 gig Maxtor IDE 10 gig IDE Maxtor data HD Master
> G: 10 gig Maxtor IDE Slave
> H: HP removable disk 0 bytes ?????
>
> D and E chained to IDE secondary
> F and G chained to IDE primary
>
> Used to boot and not be able to find any of the drives on the 1st page
> boot
> screen , but it still booted despite that and never lost a drive till I
> had to
> install the OS again.
>
> Now it identifies all the drives and accessories at bootup [takes a bit
> longer
> now] on the 1st boot page, and the 2nd boot page that shows primary
> secondary,
> they're missing. This might be interesting to fix also, but doesn't seem
> affect anything.
>
> I already found out how to fix it if there's a major crash that screws the
> motherboard settings again. Something that really shouldn't happen, but it
> has.
>
> When it boots and says can't find OS that's when it starts looking for the
> OS
> on A: Oh yeah, an OS that takes up more than a gig of HD on a 1.44 meg
> floppy.
>
> How Do I get the SATA C: to replace A: the floppy when the next crash
> occurs ?
> Or is A: just the way the motherboard configures it's defaults ?
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Hi Husky,
Seems like you have a mess there!
Do you have a dedicated sata connecter on the mobo? (Since you didn't
give us the mobo model I expect you do.)
Here's my rule of thumb;
Single sata goes on sata #1.
All Ide drives go on primary #1 as slave or master.

(G: 10 gig Maxtor IDE Slave=dinosaur, don't know why you would want
such an ancient (small/slow) drive on your machine but hey, it is your
computer)

All Atapi (optical) drives go on as slave/master on Ide secondary #2.

F: 300 gig Maxtor IDE 10 gig IDE Maxtor data HD Master
Maybe this was a typo or I'm just confused. (grin)

Or is A: just the way the motherboard configures it's defaults ?
Yup, it's dedicated in the bios as well as on the motherboard
connection.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but I would do some
streamlining and get rid of what you don't really need.

H: HP removable disk 0 bytes ?????
Do you have a media reader, that's probably what's showing up as H:

And I assume you did press F6 to load the sata drivers when you
reloaded the OS. Post back after you've switched some stuff around and
let us know where you are.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:28:54 -0500, Treeman <Treeman.1rwvco@no-mx.msusenet.com>
wrote:

I don't see the mess ?
You still run across the odd program that REQUIRES a floppy. Something like Zak
McKracken comes to mind.
As for the 10 Gig ? Do you throw stuff away that still works ? It makes a great
backup drive for quicken, my favorites, personal settings, text I keep
indefinitely. Programs that don't need to be re-installed every time the OS
goes south. short cuts. Just aim and copy to old position.

I dropped the 8.x gig HD more from lack of room than anything else. I still
have room for another Sata.
Just no more IDE's inside the case.

>Hi Husky,
>Seems like you have a mess there!
>Do you have a dedicated sata connecter on the mobo? (Since you didn't
>give us the mobo model I expect you do.)
>Here's my rule of thumb;
>Single sata goes on sata #1.
>All Ide drives go on primary #1 as slave or master.
>
>(G: 10 gig Maxtor IDE Slave=dinosaur, don't know why you would want
>such an ancient (small/slow) drive on your machine but hey, it is your
>computer)
>
>All Atapi (optical) drives go on as slave/master on Ide secondary #2.
>
>F: 300 gig Maxtor IDE 10 gig IDE Maxtor data HD Master
>Maybe this was a typo or I'm just confused. (grin)
Obviously a typo when I cut and pasted the same note more than twice.

>Or is A: just the way the motherboard configures it's defaults ?
>Yup, it's dedicated in the bios as well as on the motherboard
>connection.
>
>I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but I would do some
>streamlining and get rid of what you don't really need.
>
>H: HP removable disk 0 bytes ?????
>Do you have a media reader, that's probably what's showing up as H:

Actually it's a New HP AIO scanner, printer, copier.
>And I assume you did press F6 to load the sata drivers when you
>reloaded the OS. Post back after you've switched some stuff around and
>let us know where you are.
I have no idea about Sata drivers. I got a driver disk from Asus with Via Raid
on it, but I'm not making a mess of things with a worthless raid setup. I'm not
running Ebay on this machine.. I just got the Sata for the extra speed to go
with the MB.

Everything runs fine now. Just last major crash it asked me hit F2 to load
defaults, or F1 to reconfigure. I hit F2, wasn't in any mood to play. Couldn't
find the OS so I had to play.

So I'm figuring with only those 2 options there's no way the MB's defaults will
be set to the way I have it now.
One more reason a computer will never be more than a toy for hackers to play
with and annoy others.

>Best,
>Treeman

A:\ is just the way motherboard BIOS configures as default.
In your BIOS should be settings listed as 1st...2nd...3rd...4th
Boot..........set them to the appropriate drives.
You wanna boot off SATA set it as 1st boot.......System cant find an OS on
the SATA it looks at 2nd Boot device..and so on and so on .Certain
motherboards also require the bootabel SATA drive to be on a certain SATA
connector and to change a jumper setting on the mobo.Thats what the manual
is for to look up those petty little details that seem to annoy people.
peterk

the problem
"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> SATA Boot drive NOT! Actually that's only half true. As long as there's no
> major malfunction it boots fine from that drive.
>
> After the floppy disaster I spent the day setting up all the drives
> correctly
> according to the motherboard directions.
>
> I now have the Drives as primaries, and the DVD,CD as secondary.
> But there's 3 hard Drives the floppy, and the DVD and CD, and HP just
> added a
> virtual drive.
>
> I have
> A: Floppy
> C: SATA 152 gig boot Master
> D: Memorex Dual layer DVD Master
> E: HP 9300 CD Slave
> F: 300 gig Maxtor IDE 10 gig IDE Maxtor data HD Master
> G: 10 gig Maxtor IDE Slave
> H: HP removable disk 0 bytes ?????
>
> D and E chained to IDE secondary
> F and G chained to IDE primary
>
> Used to boot and not be able to find any of the drives on the 1st page
> boot
> screen , but it still booted despite that and never lost a drive till I
> had to
> install the OS again.
>
> Now it identifies all the drives and accessories at bootup [takes a bit
> longer
> now] on the 1st boot page, and the 2nd boot page that shows primary
> secondary,
> they're missing. This might be interesting to fix also, but doesn't seem
> affect anything.
>
> I already found out how to fix it if there's a major crash that screws the
> motherboard settings again. Something that really shouldn't happen, but it
> has.
>
> When it boots and says can't find OS that's when it starts looking for the
> OS
> on A: Oh yeah, an OS that takes up more than a gig of HD on a 1.44 meg
> floppy.
>
> How Do I get the SATA C: to replace A: the floppy when the next crash
> occurs ?
> Or is A: just the way the motherboard configures it's defaults ?
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Husky,
On some motherboards their are up to six sata connectors, if your not
connecting to the raid, then XP should install without pressing F6 and

SATA Boot drive NOT! Actually that's only half true. As long as there's
no
major malfunction it boots fine from that drive.

_That's_the_lead_of_your_post._ Maybe you were venting or p*ssed off,
either way, if I can understand your problem, I would try to help.

As for the 10 Gig ? Do you throw stuff away that still works ?
I did say; "but hey, it is your computer."

Obviously a typo when I cut and pasted the same note more than twice.

Nothing in your post is obvious except that you are having problems
with your computer, and can't explain why. Instead I get the feeling
that your handing out attitude.

How Do I get the SATA C: to replace A: the floppy when the next crash
occurs
If that's your question then yes; I do like floppy drives also.
Treeman

--
Treeman