Does AP require RADIUS client for wireless domain logon?

I'm trying to configure my wireless Domain.
Windows 2003 Server connecting to Windows 2000 Domain Controller.
I need to be able to auth and logon to the Domain from the Win2003
machine.

I assume running a RADIUS server is a necessity.
If so, does the Access Point (wireless router) need to be able to act
as a RADIUS client. Mine can not. I do not want to upgrade unless I
have to.

Thanks
-Darren
3 answers Last reply
More about does require radius client wireless domain logon

    On 15 Sep 2004 15:01:08 -0700, Darren Kennedy spoketh

    >I'm trying to configure my wireless Domain.
    >Windows 2003 Server connecting to Windows 2000 Domain Controller.
    >I need to be able to auth and logon to the Domain from the Win2003
    >machine.
    >
    >I assume running a RADIUS server is a necessity.
    >If so, does the Access Point (wireless router) need to be able to act
    >as a RADIUS client. Mine can not. I do not want to upgrade unless I
    >have to.
    >
    >Thanks
    >-Darren

    No, Radius is not required for wireless clients to log into the domain.
    However, a radius server can be used to authenticate the wireless
    clients to the wireless access point. This means, without proper login
    credentials, the wireless client will not be allowed to communicate with
    the wireless network...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    that's what I'd like to know,.... if you can use an existing PC on the AP
    subnet as a Radius client to forward request to Radius server. I'm sure it's
    doable in Linux, but if I can do it without having to learn Linux it would
    be easier.
    "Darren Kennedy" <darrenk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to configure my wireless Domain.
    > Windows 2003 Server connecting to Windows 2000 Domain Controller.
    > I need to be able to auth and logon to the Domain from the Win2003
    > machine.
    >
    > I assume running a RADIUS server is a necessity.
    > If so, does the Access Point (wireless router) need to be able to act
    > as a RADIUS client. Mine can not. I do not want to upgrade unless I
    > have to.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Darren
  3. I got a doubt,

    why we r not configuring the RADIUS client on the Users machine instead of configuring on NAS servers.

Wireless Domain Wireless Networking