A7V266 Mobo and AMD Athlon XP 2400+?

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
I recently updated the BIOS on my sisters PC to the most recent version for the A7V266 Motherboard to where it supports up to Athlon XP 2600+. I put in an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, and when it boots up, it only shows up as a 2000+ on the boot screen, and runs at 1.8 GHz - when it is a 2.0 GHz CPU. I'm not sure why it is doing this. Are there any jumpers on the board itself I am supposed to change? I have 3 sticks of PC2100 256 MB DDR RAM in the board, so it should run at 266 mhz fsb, correct?

Should I set it to jumper free mode so I can change it in the bios?

Any help is much appreciated. I have an A7N8X myself and never really had to mess with jumpers on it since everything you can change in the BIOS.

dinoX aka BlackDog

Should I set it to jumper free mode so I can change it in the bios?

Yes set it to jumper free, and set the FSB to 133 set the Multiplier or Ratio to 15 or auto, to get it to come up properly.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
O.K., I made sure it was in jumper free mode, and went in and set it manually for 133/33 and 15x multiplier. It now shows up as 2000 MHz in Windows, but still only as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ on the mem-test screen. A possible bug with the BIOS maybe?

dinoX aka BlackDog

endyen

Splendid
Dont sweet it. Since you have manually set the cpu # it is just using the calculated output speed. If you really need to see xp2400+ set the chip to auto detect in bios. It will give you the same settings, but will use chip recognition protocalls and call it by it's right name. No change in perf though.

Clearing the CMOS and resetting everything may do it, but it may not, you can try it just to see, or live with it like it is, maybe the next available BIOS flash will address the issue, if clearing the CMOS doesn't straighten it out, you may need to report it to your M/B manufacturers customer support, so they can look into it.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>