Fax-phone conflict

July 9, 2005 10:46:02 PM

Is it possible, through any configuration or available software, to have
the local fax modem set on automatic receive, and the shared, incoming
telephone line connected to an answering machine, so that all incoming
signals, fax or phone, would be routed to the appropriate device? Is this an
impossibility with a shared telephone line? Can I simultaneously use the
telephone answering machine, AND the automatic setting on fax-receive? The
scenario is to have phone calls AND faxes received while I am away from the
equipment.
Using Windows XP Home/Emachine T6212w/fax modem/DSL connection

More about : fax phone conflict

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:50:51 AM

Not with out special hardware that will detect the type of call, then forward it to the correct line (phone/fax). If your fax modem and answering machine are both set to auto answer, they don't know what type of call it is until they answer.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC2F0340-1F03-4878-85BA-A7E3F85D3C66@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible, through any configuration or available software, to have
> the local fax modem set on automatic receive, and the shared, incoming
> telephone line connected to an answering machine, so that all incoming
> signals, fax or phone, would be routed to the appropriate device? Is this an
> impossibility with a shared telephone line? Can I simultaneously use the
> telephone answering machine, AND the automatic setting on fax-receive? The
> scenario is to have phone calls AND faxes received while I am away from the
> equipment.
> Using Windows XP Home/Emachine T6212w/fax modem/DSL connection
July 10, 2005 3:59:19 AM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:46:02 -0700, pop <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is it possible, through any configuration or available software, to have
>the local fax modem set on automatic receive, and the shared, incoming
>telephone line connected to an answering machine, so that all incoming
>signals, fax or phone, would be routed to the appropriate device? Is this an
>impossibility with a shared telephone line? Can I simultaneously use the
>telephone answering machine, AND the automatic setting on fax-receive? The
>scenario is to have phone calls AND faxes received while I am away from the
>equipment.
>Using Windows XP Home/Emachine T6212w/fax modem/DSL connection

See: http://faxswitch.com/

Many more when you google "fax phone switch"

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
Related resources
July 10, 2005 2:42:02 PM

Thank you very much for your reply, Doug.
--
Thanks,Pop

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Not with out special hardware that will detect the type of call, then forward it to the correct line (phone/fax). If your fax modem and answering machine are both set to auto answer, they don't know what type of call it is until they answer.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC2F0340-1F03-4878-85BA-A7E3F85D3C66@microsoft.com...
> > Is it possible, through any configuration or available software, to have
> > the local fax modem set on automatic receive, and the shared, incoming
> > telephone line connected to an answering machine, so that all incoming
> > signals, fax or phone, would be routed to the appropriate device? Is this an
> > impossibility with a shared telephone line? Can I simultaneously use the
> > telephone answering machine, AND the automatic setting on fax-receive? The
> > scenario is to have phone calls AND faxes received while I am away from the
> > equipment.
> > Using Windows XP Home/Emachine T6212w/fax modem/DSL connection

July 10, 2005 7:38:38 PM

"" wrote:
> Is it possible, through any configuration or available
> software, to have
> the local fax modem set on automatic receive, and the shared,
> incoming
> telephone line connected to an answering machine, so that all
> incoming
> signals, fax or phone, would be routed to the appropriate
> device? Is this an
> impossibility with a shared telephone line? Can I
> simultaneously use the
> telephone answering machine, AND the automatic setting on
> fax-receive? The
> scenario is to have phone calls AND faxes received while I am
> away from the
> equipment.
> Using Windows XP Home/Emachine T6212w/fax modem/DSL connection

the fax software yor using should have the featur to count the number
of rings and pick up the phone line acordingly, so if you set it to
five rings then it givs you the opertunity to pick it up. Unfortunatly
it is imposible to tell weather fax is tying to be sent or it’s just
some one calling you as the ring is identical for both.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Fax-phone-confli...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1763723
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:31:30 PM

Hi pop,
Check your voice answering machine to see if it supports "distinctive
ring" function. If it does, then you could have that feature enabled by your
telephone service provider, applying a distinctive ring for voice calls and
a standard ring for fax. Then configure the answering machine to pick up on
the distinctive ring only, say on the 2nd or 3rd ring. Then configure the
fax service to answer on the 4th or 5th ring.
But the answering machine must support distinctive ring options, because
Xp does not.

An other option would be to put the fax service on a Win98 machine,
since it supports distinctive ring options.

Also there are seperate switch device's that can route the incoming call
based on the type (data or voice).

!