ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB And WDC 250 GB SATA Drive

JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I am upgrading from a ASUS P4PE MB to an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.

I moved my WDC 250 GB SATA Drive to the Computer with the new ASUS Motherboard.

I wanted to reinstall Windows XP Pro on top of itself with the second "Repair" Program Option which I have done sucessfully many times on many other Computers.

This way the Windows XP Reinstallation would pick up the Hardware attributes of the new Computer.

The problem is in the new Computer with the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB, even though that in the BIOS the WDC 250 GB SATA Drive is configured and detected properly, the Windows OS when booting directly from the Windows XP Pro CD-ROM cannot detect the SATA 250 GB Drive.

I entered in the "F6" Function Key during the initial Windows XP Software Configuration Load so it can install the other Disk Drive Controller Device Drivers from the Windows XP Pro CD-ROM, but it only looks for the Software on the Floppy Disk Drive A and not the CD-ROM Drive.

How can I get the Windows XP Pro CD-ROM Configuration to recognize the WDC 250 GB SATA Drive so I can proceed on with the Windows XP Pro reinstallation on top of itself?

Also, since I have one WDC 250 GB SATA Drive, should I be connecting the Drive to the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard's onboard Serial ATA Connector, or to the Motherboard's onboard Serial ATA Raid Connector?

I know that the ASUS Motherboard's onboard Serial ATA RAID Connector uses the Promise PDC20378 RAID Controller, but do the onboard Serial ATA Connectors use it also?

Is the Promise SATA RAID Controller faster than the onboard SATA Controller, or do both the Motherboard's SATA and the SATA Raid Controllers both use the Promise RAID Controller?

I would appreciate any responses to my questions?

Jonathan

Jonathan

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I don't know much about the subject (I can't afford SATA) but I once read here that you can try to copy the drivers to an FDD. (Hope it fits and if not, try copying just the WinXP ones)

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

pat

Expert
You should have a floppy with sata drivers on your mobo. If not, go to the asus site and download them and put them on a floppy.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How can I get the Windows XP Pro CD-ROM Configuration to recognize the WDC 250 GB SATA Drive
The only way is modifying the file <b>TXTSETUP.SIF</b> in <b><font color=red>\I386</b></font color=red> directory of WinXP CD. There is a post at <b><A HREF="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8134&highlight=" target="_new"><font color=green>nForce Forum</A></b></font color=green> showing how to add SATA entry for XP setup file so you don't have to press <b>F6</b> during the installation.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.