Solved

Will a Core 2 Duo E6300 run crysis on high?

Hey I'm currently building a budget gaming pc, and from what I can understand, I'm better off putting my biggest wad of cash into the video card, so I will be going with a Nvidia Geforce 200 Series (not sure on which one, but in the $150-$200 price range). I was just curious if a Core 2 Duo E6300 would be sufficient to run Crysis on 1280x1024 with medium-high settings and decent fps, or without bottle necking. If it isn't then I am open to suggestions by all means.

Thanks, Scott
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will core e6300 crysis high
  1. Best answer
    The CPU is the easy part especially overclocked, the GPU your looking at wont cut the mustard for high.
  2. Really? How would a 260 GTX or a 8800 GTX perform?
  3. ok My PC specs are this: Destcop: core2 quad 6600 2.5ghz| 8gb ram ocz ddr2 800mhz| Nvidia nForce 780i motherboard| seagate 500gb 7200rpm HDD| 260gtx 896mb| asus H243H 24'' 1080p monitor| Cooler Master case

And I run it full graphics with that ress with AA x2 on 30fps, I tried tu run it with high setting on 1920x1080, It worked, the only problem is the cooling, the game run 17-24 fps on ice map, but my PC shut down after 4 minutes, so you would need a nice cooling system if you are expecting to run those resolutions on medium-high.
    The answer to your question is yes, you will run maximum graphics with a core 2 duo, but on low ress with a graphic card for that budget, 1280x1024 without AA, wait me to get home and Ill tell you the FPS with a 260 gtx 1280x1024 all maxed up without AA

------------------------------------------
    PC gamer forever
    ------------------------------------------
    Destcop: core2 quad 6600 2.5ghz| 8gb ram ocz ddr2 800mhz| Nvidia nForce 780i motherboard| seagate 500gb 7200rpm HDD| 260gtx 896mb| asus H243H 24'' 1080p monitor| Cooler Master case
  4. Ok thank you, that would be very helpful.
  5. Santa, it sounds like you need a bigger power supply.

Scott--it is important to look at what you want in your machine, and what you can afford. You already know you want a budget gaming PC, that is a good start. Now look at what you can afford--what is your price range?

Keep in mind the things you can skimp on, and things you cant. Things that you should be able to find quite cheap: case, hard drive, ram, cooling. Those are all things that have become incredible easy to find for a great price, without sacrificing performance. Things you should focus on: cpu, motherboard, video. I find a lot of people really going light on the motherboard, opting for cheap boards because they "can" get away with it--then in a few short months they are posting here looking for help! Save yourself future problems (and give yourself room to upgrade!).

A GTX260 should be a great card for now, assuming you've got the power for it for a gaming system I would recommend 600W for a dual core single GPU setup. I run a 9800GTX+ and it handles games great, I don't play crysis so I cannot use that for an example (but my machine is not the same specs you listed--so it wouldn't be a very accurate example anyway).

The machine you have listed should run Crysis just fine on that resolution, I wouldn't expect to use AA or if you do--wouldn't think it would like anything more than 2xAA at the most--but that is all user preference anyway.

Other things to think about: the FSB of the E6300 is listed as 1066, so DDR2 1066mhz would be handy (and likely well priced). If you can budget it, the E7500 is a Core2 Duo (as opposed to Pentium) and has a 3mb cache, a bit more clock speed, better multimedia instructions, and also a 1066mhz FSB) for a few more bucks. Stick to a fairly trusted brand, I prefer Corsair but Gskill seems to have come a long way for great priced memory. Also, if you plan to overclock that CPU at all, look at an aftermarket air cooler (120mm for best airflow *IF* your case can hold it).

Try listing out which components you are currently thinking about:

Case:
    PSU:
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics:
    Cooling:
    Others:
  6. Dirtdiver, Ive got 750watt power suply, I thought to put dual SLI so I bought a big one. I dont think that it would be a problem for my PC as it is right now
  7. santa2142 said:
    Dirtdiver, Ive got 750watt power suply, I thought to put dual SLI so I bought a big one. I dont think that it would be a problem for my PC as it is right now

I was just trying to help out with your PC shutting itself off whilst gaming. A lot of times this can be to the CPU and GPU drawing more power than the PSU can actually provide, and clipping off. You have a fairly hungry system, I would check the ratings on your PSU for how many amps it is running per rail and see if that falls within the guidelines listed for your CPU/GPU combo. Just a suggestion.
  8. ok, here is what i think: I can run crysis at HIGH settings just fine, at about an average of 24-30fps at 1280-720RES with a Core 2 Duo E8600 @ Stock Clock of 3.33GHZ and an Nvidia GTX 260 Factory OC 856MB. My PSU is 750WTS. AND my RAM is 4GB DDR2 @800mhz. My system is somewhat cheap and it can reap anything I throw at it, but if you want a bigger bang, just put in a Core i7 with Hyperthreading and maybe 2 GTX 260 on a good intel M-Board. You can get those for about $700-$800. With that combo you will be able to play Crysis and anything else coming up in 1 year at maxed out settings. Trust me its worth it. Now If you are ok with the current games like Modern Warfare 2, NFS, Fallout 3 (ex) just get a core 2 duo E8400 @3.00GHZ,with a single Nvidia GTX 260, and 4 GB of ram, not hard to get trust me. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Did you read today's article...? It was made for you - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-platform,2469-8.html - !!!
  10. Yeahh the article was good.
  11. jzsang said:
    Did you read today's article...? It was made for you - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-platform,2469-8.html - !!!

The article shows that ATI performs better when using dual core CPU's. Look at how the HD4890 beat the GTX285 and the HD4870x2 beats the GTX295 when using a E6300 or E8400. So it would seem that getting an ATI card would be better. i.e a 4870 would beat a GTX260. So rather get a 4870.
  12. Or wait just a bit for the 5850 to be more available, $300 and it outperforms nVidia cards across the board...

Even the 5770 outperforms most of the nVidias currently..for $175 it would be hard to complain IMO.
  13. The 5770 is basically the same as a 4870 or GTX 260 performance-wise. Of course it has it's advantages like DX11, eye-finity, low power consumption and produces less heat. I like how they perform in CF....

http://guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/18
  14. At 1280x1024 using an E6300 and a decent GPU will let you play Crysis on HIGH without using xAA. I would opt for a 5770 or 4890 depending on the motherboard the OP chooses. At that resolution you might be able to turn up the eye-candy a notch and still get playable frames....
  15. OvrClkr said:
    The 5770 is basically the same as a 4870 or GTX 260 performance-wise. Of course it has it's advantages like DX11, eye-finity, low power consumption and produces less heat. I like how they perform in CF....

http://guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/18

That is the exact article I got my information from! haha, great article--and the 5770 is cheap! Hard to complain with the features (as you listed) and the price/performance ratio. ATI is doing very well currently, I have always been on the green team--but will be switching for my next build.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Crysis Video Games