RDRAM or DDR? (will need new mobo if DDR)

branflakes

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
While playing games, specifically BF1942, I run out of virtual memory while playing. Right now I am using 256MB PC800 RDRAM on a Pentium 4 Processor at 2.26GHz with 533MHz system bus/ 512K L2. I want this upgrade to last me a while since I am a college student, and I don't when I'm gonna have the cash to do these upgrades again... thus I want something that will last me as long as possible.

Therefor,
(1)I was wondering if I should drop the 200$ and add 512MB of RD, or get a new mobo and go with DDR?

(2)_and_ if I should just go with DDR, what mobo should I get? I know just about nothing about mobos however. A few friends have recommended going with DDR and getting one of these mobo's:

Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 i865PE P4 (800FSB)- http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241416

or
Asus P4P800 Deluxe - http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-d/overview.htm

I don't want to spend too much, but around 200$ for the total package is okay. I'd rather not go too far over that though. Any help would be.... helpful. ;] Thanks.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i would not upgrade your mobo until you upgrade your cpu...

the mobo change will really not give you much if any performance increase...

also remember that rdram must be installed in pairs...

in order to get any performance gain from switching boards you must use two pc2100 (or faster) modules and use them in dual channel...although....i would go for 2x pc3200 (good quality of course) modules...so that you can upgrade to the low end prescotts...

If you do not use two modules rdram will actually provide better performance!

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Za_Goof

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
It seemeth me, that the best bang-for-buck solution would be to simply increase the amount of Rambus RAM that you have. Just remember, this is a stop-gap measure - in 12 months time, you won't be able to get a cpu which the board will support.

Over long term, you might be better off going with a new mobo and DDR, especially one as good as the p4p800 deluxe. In a year, you'll be able to buy a 3.2 GHz p4C for next to nothing... And you'll have the advantage of being to simply plug it in and watch it go...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Since RDRAM is a dead RAM design and your current mtoherboard probably doesn't support hyperthreading and doesn't support 800MHz FSB or Prescott for the future, I'd just spend a little extra and get a new motherboard and dual channel DDR RAM. It's worth it in the long run. At least, that's what I'd do. RDRAM costs quite a bit more than DDR and the prices will probably only go up.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have to agree with amd man...probably for the price of more rdram you could get a new mobo and some ddr...rdram is still just so damn expensive....

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

pat

Expert
you said you ran out of virtual memory? In that case, maybe your HD is too full for the swap file or the swap file is either too small or diseable. Try to defrag so the system will be able to use a bigger area or check in your system properties, under advanced tab and in performance. Choose advanced and you will see at the bottom setting for virtual memory.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it is a fine mobo...

also look at the IS7 another nice mobo...

Basically any 865pe chipset mobo with PAT (called mat or other names by certain manufacturers) emulation should suite you well

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

TRENDING THREADS