System Restore question

Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore points.

Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I start System Restore
Wizard (because I've never done this before and it seemed like an easy way
to go about it), but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
threabouts).

My question: Is there any way to go back before that?

Thanks all,
Lois
7 answers Last reply
More about system restore question

    Hi Lois,

    No. And even if you could you wouldn't want to. Most if not all system
    setting made after the restore date would be lost. Any applications
    installed after the restore date may not function.

    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/

    Your better off asking for assistance in fixing the problem at hand.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Lois G. wrote:
    > Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
    > points.
    > Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
    > start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
    > before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
    > but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
    > threabouts).
    > My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > Lois

    Simple answer is No. Although you haven't physically created system restore
    point yourself Windows XP has - on avaergae one every 24 hours or so. Now
    consider that these restore points take up a considerable amount of room on
    your drive.
    By default system restore allocated 12% of disk space for system restore
    points. Once this allocation has been met system restore starts deleting
    previous restore points to give itself more room. This is what has happened
    in your case. Everything earlier than 23rd June has been deleted to make way
    for newer system restore points.
    Personally i much prefer imaging the hard drive with third party software
    such as Norton Ghost. What i normally do is image the drive after i have
    installed windows xp and added allt he software i normally use. This i keep
    as the 'main' backup. Then periodically, as i add or remove software i
    create a second 'running' backup. This second backup can be deleted and
    replaced by a third, fourth etc as and when necessary. I then always have
    the option to go back a week or so or, if things get really bad, i can
    simply restore the original image i created when i first installed the
    operating system. The imaged copies are stored on a second hard drive and,
    for added protection, a DVD.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
    > Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore points.
    >
    > Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I start System Restore
    > Wizard (because I've never done this before and it seemed like an easy way
    > to go about it), but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
    > threabouts).
    >
    > My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > Lois

    Applications installed after the restore date would almost certainly not
    function, as the registry entries would not exist anymore.

    Lois G. wrote:-
    Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
    points.
    Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
    start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
    before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
    but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
    threabouts).
    My question: Is there any way to go back before that?

    Thanks all,
    Lois-

    I'd have to go ahead and agree that using a disk image is your best bet.
    It's easy to do, and works a heck of a lot better than system restore.
    You could probably find a old copy of ghost or something online if you
    looked hard enough. Another Option which can be helpful is a program
    called deepFreeze. It allows you to freeze certain drives, and hence
    system settings. What I do is create a partition for saving files/games
    etc, and then I freeze the partition which has windows on it. If I screw
    something up, I just reboot and it's back to normal. VERY helpful.

    -Matt

    --
    matt_fleming

    Hi Lois,

    If the date is not available on the System Restore calendar, then no.

    matt_fleming wrote:
    > Lois G. wrote:-
    > Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
    > points.
    > Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
    > start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
    > before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
    > but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
    > threabouts).
    > My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > Lois-
    >

    > I'd have to go ahead and agree that using a disk image is
    > your best bet. It's easy to do, and works a heck of a lot
    > better than system restore. You could probably find a old
    > copy of ghost or something online if you looked hard
    > enough. Another Option which can be helpful is a program
    > called deepFreeze. It allows you to freeze certain
    > drives, and hence system settings. What I do is create a
    > partition for saving files/games etc, and then I freeze
    > the partition which has windows on it. If I screw
    > something up, I just reboot and it's back to normal.
    > VERY helpful.
    >
    > -Matt

    Thank you for the link for restore issues. I have been reading these posts
    as I , too, have encountered problems with my restore.

    I tried restoring my computer today and none of my restore points work. May
    I ask in regard to points listed below from the link:

    It looks as if I should scan my system again although I do run Norton and
    Adaware as well as spybot. However, what is meant by "use Norton to restore
    files before windows starts"?

    Thank you. Shezageek

    STEM RESTORE Restoration Incomplete Your Computer cannot be restored"

    This could indicate a corrupted restore point. Restore Point Corruption can
    be caused by:

    a.. Virus infection.
    b.. Spyware/Malware infection.
    c.. Improper shutdown.
    d.. Software or hardware that cause the system to "stop responding" or
    hang.
    e.. Applications that interfere with the System Restore filter. In
    particular, poorly written Anti Virus applications.
    f.. Using Norton GoBack to restore files before Windows starts.
    g.. Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in the case
    of dual boot OS scenarios).
    h.. Do to changes made to an System Restore tracked file on a removable
    drive for a restore point while the drive was connected to another machine.
    i.. Do to manually modifying files located in the System Volume

    shezageek wrote:
    > Thank you for the link for restore issues. I have been
    > reading these posts as I , too, have encountered problems
    > with my restore.
    > I tried restoring my computer today and none of my
    > restore points work. May I ask in regard to points listed
    > below from the link:
    > It looks as if I should scan my system again although I
    > do run Norton and Adaware as well as spybot. However,
    > what is meant by "use Norton to restore files before
    > windows starts"?

    Any changes made to files that System Restore monitors while Windows is not running will
    cause restore point corruption. From what I understand Norton Goback has this ability.

    > Thank you. Shezageek
    >

    > STEM RESTORE Restoration Incomplete Your Computer cannot
    > be restored"
    >

    > This could indicate a corrupted restore point. Restore
    > Point Corruption can be caused by:
    >
    > a.. Virus infection.
    > b.. Spyware/Malware infection.
    > c.. Improper shutdown.
    > d.. Software or hardware that cause the system to "stop responding" or hang.
    > e.. Applications that interfere with the System Restore
    > filter. In particular, poorly written Anti Virus
    > applications. f.. Using Norton GoBack to restore files
    > before Windows starts. g.. Due to changes made to files
    > on a system from another OS (in the case of dual boot OS
    > scenarios). h.. Do to changes made to an System Restore
    > tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point
    > while the drive was connected to another machine. i.. Do
    > to manually modifying files located in the System Volume
    > Information folder on any drive/partition.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org