System Restore question

July 11, 2005 12:18:30 AM

Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore points.

Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I start System Restore
Wizard (because I've never done this before and it seemed like an easy way
to go about it), but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
threabouts).

My question: Is there any way to go back before that?

Thanks all,
Lois
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:41:01 AM

Hi Lois,

No. And even if you could you wouldn't want to. Most if not all system
setting made after the restore date would be lost. Any applications
installed after the restore date may not function.

All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

Your better off asking for assistance in fixing the problem at hand.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Lois G. wrote:
> Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
> points.
> Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
> start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
> before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
> but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
> threabouts).
> My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
>
> Thanks all,
> Lois
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:31:11 AM

Simple answer is No. Although you haven't physically created system restore
point yourself Windows XP has - on avaergae one every 24 hours or so. Now
consider that these restore points take up a considerable amount of room on
your drive.
By default system restore allocated 12% of disk space for system restore
points. Once this allocation has been met system restore starts deleting
previous restore points to give itself more room. This is what has happened
in your case. Everything earlier than 23rd June has been deleted to make way
for newer system restore points.
Personally i much prefer imaging the hard drive with third party software
such as Norton Ghost. What i normally do is image the drive after i have
installed windows xp and added allt he software i normally use. This i keep
as the 'main' backup. Then periodically, as i add or remove software i
create a second 'running' backup. This second backup can be deleted and
replaced by a third, fourth etc as and when necessary. I then always have
the option to go back a week or so or, if things get really bad, i can
simply restore the original image i created when i first installed the
operating system. The imaged copies are stored on a second hard drive and,
for added protection, a DVD.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore points.
>
> Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I start System Restore
> Wizard (because I've never done this before and it seemed like an easy way
> to go about it), but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
> threabouts).
>
> My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
>
> Thanks all,
> Lois

July 15, 2005 10:29:59 AM

Applications installed after the restore date would almost certainly not
function, as the registry entries would not exist anymore.

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o g8gzEbhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Lois,
>
> No. And even if you could you wouldn't want to. Most if not all system
> setting made after the restore date would be lost. Any applications
> installed after the restore date may not function.
>
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/
>
> Your better off asking for assistance in fixing the problem at hand.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Lois G. wrote:
>> Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
>> points.
>> Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
>> start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
>> before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
>> but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
>> threabouts).
>> My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
>>
>> Thanks all,
>> Lois

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:33:16 PM

Lois G. wrote:-
Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
points.
Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
threabouts).
My question: Is there any way to go back before that?

Thanks all,
Lois-

[/i][/color]

I'd have to go ahead and agree that using a disk image is your best bet.
It's easy to do, and works a heck of a lot better than system restore.
You could probably find a old copy of ghost or something online if you
looked hard enough. Another Option which can be helpful is a program
called deepFreeze. It allows you to freeze certain drives, and hence
system settings. What I do is create a partition for saving files/games
etc, and then I freeze the partition which has windows on it. If I screw
something up, I just reboot and it's back to normal. VERY helpful.

-Matt

--
matt_fleming
Anonymous

Hi Lois,

If the date is not available on the System Restore calendar, then no.

matt_fleming wrote:
> Lois G. wrote:-
> Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
> points.
> Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
> start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
> before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
> but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
> threabouts).
> My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
>
> Thanks all,
> Lois-
>
> [/i][/color]
>
> I'd have to go ahead and agree that using a disk image is
> your best bet. It's easy to do, and works a heck of a lot
> better than system restore. You could probably find a old
> copy of ghost or something online if you looked hard
> enough. Another Option which can be helpful is a program
> called deepFreeze. It allows you to freeze certain
> drives, and hence system settings. What I do is create a
> partition for saving files/games etc, and then I freeze
> the partition which has windows on it. If I screw
> something up, I just reboot and it's back to normal.
> VERY helpful.
>
> -Matt
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:06:37 AM

Thank you for the link for restore issues. I have been reading these posts
as I , too, have encountered problems with my restore.

I tried restoring my computer today and none of my restore points work. May
I ask in regard to points listed below from the link:

It looks as if I should scan my system again although I do run Norton and
Adaware as well as spybot. However, what is meant by "use Norton to restore
files before windows starts"?

Thank you. Shezageek

STEM RESTORE Restoration Incomplete Your Computer cannot be restored"

This could indicate a corrupted restore point. Restore Point Corruption can
be caused by:

a.. Virus infection.
b.. Spyware/Malware infection.
c.. Improper shutdown.
d.. Software or hardware that cause the system to "stop responding" or
hang.
e.. Applications that interfere with the System Restore filter. In
particular, poorly written Anti Virus applications.
f.. Using Norton GoBack to restore files before Windows starts.
g.. Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in the case
of dual boot OS scenarios).
h.. Do to changes made to an System Restore tracked file on a removable
drive for a restore point while the drive was connected to another machine.
i.. Do to manually modifying files located in the System Volume
Information folder on any drive/partition.
"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o zIE1JiiFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Lois,
>
> If the date is not available on the System Restore calendar, then no.
>
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> matt_fleming wrote:
>> Lois G. wrote:-
>> Let's preface this by saying I have not set any restore
>> points.
>> Now I'd like to set System Restore back to May 1st. I
>> start System Restore Wizard (because I've never done this
>> before and it seemed like an easy way to go about it),
>> but the earliest restore point is June 23rd (or
>> threabouts).
>> My question: Is there any way to go back before that?
>>
>> Thanks all,
>> Lois-
>>
>> [/i][/color]
>>
>> I'd have to go ahead and agree that using a disk image is
>> your best bet. It's easy to do, and works a heck of a lot
>> better than system restore. You could probably find a old
>> copy of ghost or something online if you looked hard
>> enough. Another Option which can be helpful is a program
>> called deepFreeze. It allows you to freeze certain
>> drives, and hence system settings. What I do is create a
>> partition for saving files/games etc, and then I freeze
>> the partition which has windows on it. If I screw
>> something up, I just reboot and it's back to normal.
>> VERY helpful.
>>
>> -Matt

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:24:55 PM

shezageek wrote:
> Thank you for the link for restore issues. I have been
> reading these posts as I , too, have encountered problems
> with my restore.
> I tried restoring my computer today and none of my
> restore points work. May I ask in regard to points listed
> below from the link:
> It looks as if I should scan my system again although I
> do run Norton and Adaware as well as spybot. However,
> what is meant by "use Norton to restore files before
> windows starts"?

Any changes made to files that System Restore monitors while Windows is not running will
cause restore point corruption. From what I understand Norton Goback has this ability.

http://bertk.mvps.org
!