I just set up a new computer with Windows XP. I was having problems
with my video card so was waiting to get it RMA'ed and returned before
activating windows. I had deleted and messed up some other things in
an attempt to find the problem which turned out to be hardware so
wanted to do a clean reformat and install before actiating. Anyway,
my wife used the computer to check a date in September. She did not
click "Apply" on the calandar but must have clicked "Ok" because on
the next boot up I has to activate Windows XP. I still had three weeks
left of the 30 days.

What ticks me off is that I was constantly reminded (seemed like every
minute) to activate even though I set the option to remind me every
few days. Then when the calandar gets set ahead accidently, there is
no reminder about activation. WXP simply won't let me log on until I
activate. I can't belive the developers didn't set the activation for
30 days based on a count of days that it was used rather than the
calandar date. I guess on the 29th day you should be able to set your
calandar back a month and have the time-to-activate start over at 30
days.

So my question, once I get my video card repaired and reformat, am I
going to be able to activate again?

Vernon wrote:
> I just set up a new computer with Windows XP. I was having problems
> with my video card so was waiting to get it RMA'ed and returned before
> activating windows. I had deleted and messed up some other things in
> an attempt to find the problem which turned out to be hardware so
> wanted to do a clean reformat and install before actiating. Anyway,
> my wife used the computer to check a date in September. She did not
> click "Apply" on the calandar but must have clicked "Ok" because on
> the next boot up I has to activate Windows XP. I still had three weeks
> left of the 30 days.
>
> What ticks me off is that I was constantly reminded (seemed like every
> minute) to activate even though I set the option to remind me every
> few days. Then when the calandar gets set ahead accidently, there is
> no reminder about activation. WXP simply won't let me log on until I
> activate. I can't belive the developers didn't set the activation for
> 30 days based on a count of days that it was used rather than the
> calandar date. I guess on the 29th day you should be able to set your
> calandar back a month and have the time-to-activate start over at 30
> days.
>
> So my question, once I get my video card repaired and reformat, am I
> going to be able to activate again?

Yes..
And why would they base it on days used? Nothing else is.

Worst case - you will have to call to activate.

In any case - you could likely perform a Repair Installation and avoid the
whole reinstall thing - if you had anything else installed.
(Google it.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Yes, you will still be able to activate.

See: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

"If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware
components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate
Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number
displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software."

Hope this helps

--
Patrick Elliott

Have you run WindowsUpdate lately?
Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to be sure Windows is up to date.

"Vernon" <Labasda@notown.edu> wrote in message
>I just set up a new computer with Windows XP. I was having problems
> with my video card so was waiting to get it RMA'ed and returned before
> activating windows. I had deleted and messed up some other things in
> an attempt to find the problem which turned out to be hardware so
> wanted to do a clean reformat and install before actiating. Anyway,
> my wife used the computer to check a date in September. She did not
> click "Apply" on the calandar but must have clicked "Ok" because on
> the next boot up I has to activate Windows XP. I still had three weeks
> left of the 30 days.
>
> What ticks me off is that I was constantly reminded (seemed like every
> minute) to activate even though I set the option to remind me every
> few days. Then when the calandar gets set ahead accidently, there is
> no reminder about activation. WXP simply won't let me log on until I
> activate. I can't belive the developers didn't set the activation for
> 30 days based on a count of days that it was used rather than the
> calandar date. I guess on the 29th day you should be able to set your
> calandar back a month and have the time-to-activate start over at 30
> days.
>
> So my question, once I get my video card repaired and reformat, am I
> going to be able to activate again?

Vernon <Labasda@notown.edu> wrote:

<snip>

> I guess on the 29th day you should be able to set your
>calandar back a month and have the time-to-activate start over at 30
>days.

No. If you "play games" with the computer date before Windows is
activated then it will detect this and will refuse to boot into
Windows until activated. This has been tested many times by many
people.

>So my question, once I get my video card repaired and reformat, am I
>going to be able to activate again?

Windows XP can be repaired and reconfigured quite easily, so that may
be a preferable option to doing a reformat and reinstall.

One option you might want to consider is a Repair Install as per the
instructions at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Reactivation is normally quite painless, and if the video card is the
only hardware change then it should be automatic.

And if you do a repair install you can back up the activation control
files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak and then restore them after the repair
install. This will not work if you reformat.

For more detailed information about activation in Windows XP see the
article by the late Alex Nichol MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

You wont have any problems activating it. If you do, then choose activate by
telephone rep, and call the 800 # that it gives you.