Need help to copy a shortcut

July 11, 2005 2:52:46 AM

How do you use "COPY" or "XCOPY" to copy a shortcut?

Don J

More about : copy shortcut

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:37:40 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:52:46 -0400, "Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote:

>How do you use "COPY" or "XCOPY" to copy a shortcut?
>
> Don J

Right click on shortcut, then select either COPY or CUT. You can then
PASTE it where you like.
MH
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:05:11 PM

I need to do it from a batch file.

Don J

"Mike Hyndman" <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:52:46 -0400, "Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>How do you use "COPY" or "XCOPY" to copy a shortcut?
>>
>> Don J
>>
> Right click on shortcut, then select either COPY or CUT. You can then
> PASTE it where you like.
> MH

July 11, 2005 4:05:12 PM

In news:a7WdnR0LcNxUBU_fRVn-gg@comcast.com,
Don J <dej4400@comcast.net> typed:

> I need to do it from a batch file.

copy \path\file-name-of-the-shortcut \folder--where-you-want-it

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Mike Hyndman" <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:52:46 -0400, "Don J"
>> <dej4400@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>> How do you use "COPY" or "XCOPY" to copy a shortcut?
>>>
>>> Don J
>>>
>> Right click on shortcut, then select either COPY or CUT. You
>> can then
>> PASTE it where you like.
>> MH
July 11, 2005 6:35:53 PM

"" wrote:
> How do you use "COPY" or "XCOPY" to copy a shortcut?
>
> Don J

copy *shortcut name*, i bet the dificulties you are having are "file
not found", this is becasue like all files shortcuts have
exstensions, which explorer is told to hide at all times, so what you
need to do when using the copy command to copy a short cut is make
sure you put .lnk on the end.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-help-copy-shortc...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765448
July 11, 2005 6:36:09 PM

"" wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:52:46 -0400, "Don J"
> <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >How do you use "COPY" or "XCOPY" to copy a shortcut?
> >
> > Don J
> >
> Right click on shortcut, then select either COPY or CUT. You
> can then
> PASTE it where you like.
> MH

he asked how to do it in command prompt!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-help-copy-shortc...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765521
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:30:51 PM

right click on shortcut, then select either "copy shortcut". You can
then
paste it where you like.

mohammad

--
alderessy
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:11 -0400, "Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote:

>I need to do it from a batch file.
>
> Don J

???
MH
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:16:49 PM

What do you mean "???". I don't know how to make it any planer!

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:11 -0400, "Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I need to do it from a batch file.
>>
>> Don J
>>
>>----------------------------------------
>>
> ???
> MH
July 11, 2005 9:16:50 PM

Don J wrote:

> What do you mean "???". I don't know how to make it any planer!
>
> Don J

> "Mike Hyndman" <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:11 -0400, "Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I need to do it from a batch file.
>>>
>>> Don J
>>>
>>>----------------------------------------
>>>
>> ???
>> MH

Tell us what you are trying to do and why - what is your end goal.
Copying shortcuts via a batch file isn't a normal activity, so you need
to tell us what you are really trying to do and why you want to do it
in a batch file. You may think you are making "it plain" but you are
not. Remember, you have to communicate what you have in your mind. Here
are links to help you make a good newsgroup post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers