Driver for NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

I have a Pavilion a630n with a built in NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD burner. Since
upgrading that machine to SBS 2003, the burner doesn't work. It can read
CD/DVDs, but when I put in a blank, the machine slows to a crawl, and I get
errors when trying tot drag a file to the drive (F:\ is not accessible.
Incorrect Function). The plus sign appears, but the drive won't accept
files. It's odd, because the "Properties" lists the the CD as a CD-R.

Anyway, is there an updated driver for this drive or something else I should
try?

--
David

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Hi David,

I wouldn't use a CD writer in a server. Move it to a workstation.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"David L. Leon" <dave@etexaslawyers.com> schreef in bericht
> I have a Pavilion a630n with a built in NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD burner. Since
> upgrading that machine to SBS 2003, the burner doesn't work. It can read
> CD/DVDs, but when I put in a blank, the machine slows to a crawl, and I
get
> errors when trying tot drag a file to the drive (F:\ is not accessible.
> Incorrect Function). The plus sign appears, but the drive won't accept
> files. It's odd, because the "Properties" lists the the CD as a CD-R.
>
> Anyway, is there an updated driver for this drive or something else I
should
> try?
>
> --
> David

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

As someone else indicated, using a CD/DVD burner on a server is not the usual
practice. But it's OK if CD/DVD burning does not interfere with people using
the server, i.e. you burn CDs or DVDs during a time when hardly anybody is
accessing the server.

SBS 2003 does not provide any CD/DVD burning drivers because there aren't any to
provide. And it apparently only recognizes the drive as a CD-R, somewhat the
Windows default for CD/DVD drives of all types.

To burn CDs or DVDs, you need to install a package from Roxio (EZ CD Creator),
Ahead (Nero Burning) or NTI, three of the more popular CD/DVD burning packages.

One last comment: You want to run the Pavilion a630n as a server???? Ouch! The
Pavilion a630n is a cheap consumer personal computer, not fit for use as a
server. Why not a low-end HP, Dell, or IBM server, built for far more reliable
operation??? ... Ben Myers