Bad external hard disk

Got a new XP. After a week, my external hard disk went. "The drive
requires service". It is under warranty. However, to speak to Dell, one
has to wait 85 minutes or so.

A few questions that maybe someone knows:

1. How does an external hard disk go bad after one week?
2. Is it possible a power surge did it? I made a mistake and put the
power cord in a surge protector rather than in my UPS system.
3. Is is possible that shutting off the external drive with the power
switch rather than pressing "Safely Remove Hardware" could damage the
physical drive?
4. If I return the drive to Dell and get another, can they get access to
my data on the drive? It may be worth it for me simply to buy another
drive, even if this is under warranty.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about external hard disk

    Replied in-line

    Sanford Aranoff wrote:

    > Got a new XP. After a week, my external hard disk went. "The drive
    > requires service". It is under warranty. However, to speak to Dell, one
    > has to wait 85 minutes or so.
    >
    > A few questions that maybe someone knows:
    >
    > 1. How does an external hard disk go bad after one week?

    Statistically possible. Any electrical device can go bad, within
    seconds, minutes, days, etc., or never.

    > 2. Is it possible a power surge did it? I made a mistake and put the
    > power cord in a surge protector rather than in my UPS system.

    Should not have been a factor.

    > 3. Is is possible that shutting off the external drive with the power
    > switch rather than pressing "Safely Remove Hardware" could damage the
    > physical drive?

    Doubtful.

    > 4. If I return the drive to Dell and get another, can they get access to
    > my data on the drive? It may be worth it for me simply to buy another
    > drive, even if this is under warranty.

    Sure it can be done but a reputable outfit will probably
    not violate a customer's privacy. OTOH, if there is serious
    concern about the contents in the external HD, then do not
    make a warranty return.

    "" wrote:
    > Got a new XP. After a week, my external hard disk went. "The
    > drive
    > requires service". It is under warranty. However, to speak to
    > Dell, one
    > has to wait 85 minutes or so.
    >
    > A few questions that maybe someone knows:
    >
    > 1. How does an external hard disk go bad after one week?
    > 2. Is it possible a power surge did it? I made a mistake and
    > put the
    > power cord in a surge protector rather than in my UPS system.
    > 3. Is is possible that shutting off the external drive with
    > the power
    > switch rather than pressing "Safely Remove Hardware" could
    > damage the
    > physical drive?
    > 4. If I return the drive to Dell and get another, can they get
    > access to
    > my data on the drive? It may be worth it for me simply to buy
    > another
    > drive, even if this is under warranty.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Herer are the answers in conalogical order:

    1. If you drop it.
    2. Yes, but unlikly if you pluged it into a serg protector
    3. No, that only stops all data transfer beween the computer and the
    hard drive to avoid data coruption.
    4. Depending on the sate of the drive, it is entierly posible that
    then can access the data on the drive.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Bad-external-hard-disk-ftopict555453.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765295

    Two possible ways for failure. In a wafer of 200 ICs, one
    may be manufactured marginally (a statistical probability).
    It will test OK (which only demonstrates what W. E Deming says
    about testing for quality). The defect appears later. Most
    defects appear in the first hours or weeks of operation. They
    are called 'infant mortality'. But this type failure is a
    manufacturing weakness or defect.

    Second is called overstress. One classic example would be
    created by static electricity in an air conditioned room while
    standing on a carpet. Once static electricity has passed from
    human through the electronics, then the overstress appears
    hours or weeks later as a hardware failure.

    Both type of failures are more common. However the naive
    will then hype some mythical surge and call for surge
    protectors. In reality, a surge protector adjacent to
    electronics can even contribute to damage of that
    electronics. Protectors adjacent to electronics do nothing
    effective. Protectors that are effective cost less, last
    longer, and are located elsewhere in the building.

    What is the protector inside a UPS? Same circuit also found
    in power strip protectors. Notice the specs. Both devices
    measure protection circuit using joules because both have the
    same ineffective protection circuit.

    Surge damage is rare. Destructive surges occur typically
    once every eight years. However the naive tend to be quick to
    blame surges rather than infant mortality or overstress.

    You did not say how the external drive was connected - what
    type of port. Therefore nobody can say how disconnecting may
    or may not cause hardware damage. However, it is advisable
    that computer peripherals share the same wall receptacle so
    that one of the redundant hardware protection layers is not
    compromised.

    Sanford Aranoff wrote:
    > Got a new XP. After a week, my external hard disk went. "The drive
    > requires service". It is under warranty. However, to speak to Dell, one
    > has to wait 85 minutes or so.
    >
    > A few questions that maybe someone knows:
    >
    > 1. How does an external hard disk go bad after one week?
    > 2. Is it possible a power surge did it? I made a mistake and put the
    > power cord in a surge protector rather than in my UPS system.
    > 3. Is is possible that shutting off the external drive with the power
    > switch rather than pressing "Safely Remove Hardware" could damage the
    > physical drive?
    > 4. If I return the drive to Dell and get another, can they get access to
    > my data on the drive? It may be worth it for me simply to buy another
    > drive, even if this is under warranty.
    >
    > Thanks.

Windows XP