Need to replace motherboard but keep other parts

Enix

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I recently found out I have a failing motherboard on my system and am going to need to replace it. At this time Im not financially able to upgrade the other components but plan to next year, so I want to get a quality motherboard that will allow for the greatest amount of expansion in the future. I'm currently using an Epox 8k7a which I believe is a 133 FSB.

The parts I'm stuck with for now:
Athlon XP 1600
2 sticks of 128 MB crucial 2100 DDR RAM
Geforce 2 Vid Card

What motherboard will give me the best opportunity for expansion of better CPU and RAM in the future?

sturm

Splendid
I would go with almost any of the nforce2 boards. Youll be able to upgrade to the barton core, faster ddr memory and use the latest video cards. Which board depends on your budget. I have had good luck with the MSI boards. Others with Asus, aopen, etc. Take your pick.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yep, 8RDA+ is the board for you. Incidentally, you don't list a sound card, so I have no idea whether you care, but the 8RDA+ has excellent on board audio too (Nvidia SoundStorm).

What makes you think your motherboard is failing? Your problem might not actually be the motherboard.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

Enix

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Thanks for the response guys, Ill give the 8rda a shot.

ChipDeath,
Ive been having alot of problems with the computer randomly shutting itself down or restarting. Very very annoying. Tested the Memory and all other parts with no success. Even reformatted the hard drive to make sure it wasnt a software issue.

I posted on the AMDMotherboards forum for Epox Motherboards about the problem and had several responses on things to look at. Found that I had some capacitors leaking and bulging. Since nothing else fixed the problem, it looked like the mobo was it.

If you think it might be something else, you can read the full description of the problems here:
http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=fee699d4bf5c545e1fbfd564f62c11d1&threadid=248011

Let me know if you have a different idea. Thanks

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
open up the case...look at the capacitors....if any of them seem bloated or are leaking "juice" then your mobo very well could be dying...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue: