Sign in with
Your question

$1000/ $500 gaming rig help?

Tags:
  • Hot Deals
  • Product
Last response: in Deals
February 23, 2012 10:45:12 PM

I am looking into getting myself a decent computer, since A. A friend told me that he could get me parts around %50 off, and B. he can help me build it, that's why I like to think of it as $1000, though I only have $500

I have
RaidMax case, it'll fit anything
24 inch monitor
750 GB 5900 RPM HDD
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
Every other part in it costs less than $50, or is outdated

I think I am going to get the GTX 560 TI and motherboard with RAM, for $300 off said friend, I need a CPU and PSU for the $400 ($200 Really), or, if I could do better, some other Motherboard, GPU RAM etc, (SLI, mabye?), plus, I probably need a better Hard drive, don't I

More about : 1000 500 gaming rig

February 24, 2012 2:34:04 AM

First off, this should be posted in the New Builds section.

Secondly, where are you getting the parts 50% off? I'm not really sure what you mean. He may just mean that Newegg.com has parts for half the price of Best Buy or something like that. Without knowing what a part would cost (since we don't know where you're buying), it's hard to tell you what to get.

Here's a good build--how about you tell me how it fits into your price structure:

CPU: i5-2500K
Mobo: Z68 SLI compatible like GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Stick to Asus, Gigabyte, or ASRock
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 (or faster, if there's a sale)
GPU: GTX 560Ti if you like to overclock, 6950 if you don't
PSU: 650W Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. This 750W for $80 is the best SLI-capable price I see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you only want one card, then definitely go for the Antec Neo Eco 620C for $44.50 or the Corsair CX600 for $50 (on Newegg after rebates). I don't know how rebates will work for you.
SSD: How are prices on 120GB SATA III SSDs like the OCZ Agility 3?
HDD: Due to Thailand flooding, Hard Disk Drive prices are REALLY high right now and I don't recommend any HDD purchase.

There's no guarantee your friend knows all the best prices, so I suggest you run the prices by this thread to double check before you buy anything.
February 24, 2012 9:13:46 PM

^+1 Good advice. Although I'm sure your friends are great and all you should always double check online (this is a great website to do so) for assurance. I've had "friends" who've tried to rip me off. I don't know you personally, so I couldn't say for sure but it looks like you don't know too much about PC's so, though help from a friend is great and all, it wouldn't hurt to research some more before going into this. Also, SLI might not be too much of an option (with your budget) if you have an older AMD CPU, which there is a good chance you do. One last thing, 50% off is a very good deal for a used PC component...
!