Help to Re-Install Windows XP Pro

Is there a checklist out there I can use to uninstall/re-install Windows XP
Pro and avoid as many foot wounds as possible?

I am running XP Pro (SP2), IE 6.0.2900 SP2, OE 6.00.2900 SP2 on a HP nx9010
notebook.

My system was already "unstable". I'm sure at least partly due to my
install and uninstall blunders. I have now become a victim of what McAfee
refers to as the "corruption" of the McAfee Firewall. It may have aggravated
existing problems, leaving me with the feeling that each action I take will
be the last.

I realize that re-installation is not recommended unless absolutely
necessary. However, I feel it is inevitable and would like to make plans
while I'm still able.

I have my Installation Disk for XP Pro (SP1), and the disk for SP2. I can
handle Non-Windows problems. But, have questions concerning the abilty to
"restore" backups of favorites, settings, etc., from the e: drive (Omega HDD)
or the use of the e: drive for the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard as a
tool to save lessons learned.

Any and all help will be sincerely appreciated . . .

BobW.
7 answers Last reply
More about help install windows

    First, have you tried a repair install? It'll attempt to restore your system
    without damaging your data or settings. Here's a link to a how-to:

    and, just in case, here's a link to the complete clean install:

    Please remember that it's very important to backup all your data if you
    don't want to lose it. Backing up settings is optional as you can reset them
    more easily. Generally speaking, you'll need to reinstall all of your
    programs after the clean install.

    "BobW" wrote:

    > Is there a checklist out there I can use to uninstall/re-install Windows XP
    > Pro and avoid as many foot wounds as possible?
    >
    > I am running XP Pro (SP2), IE 6.0.2900 SP2, OE 6.00.2900 SP2 on a HP nx9010
    > notebook.
    >
    > My system was already "unstable". I'm sure at least partly due to my
    > install and uninstall blunders. I have now become a victim of what McAfee
    > refers to as the "corruption" of the McAfee Firewall. It may have aggravated
    > existing problems, leaving me with the feeling that each action I take will
    > be the last.
    >
    > I realize that re-installation is not recommended unless absolutely
    > necessary. However, I feel it is inevitable and would like to make plans
    > while I'm still able.
    >
    > I have my Installation Disk for XP Pro (SP1), and the disk for SP2. I can
    > handle Non-Windows problems. But, have questions concerning the abilty to
    > "restore" backups of favorites, settings, etc., from the e: drive (Omega HDD)
    > or the use of the e: drive for the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard as a
    > tool to save lessons learned.
    >
    > Any and all help will be sincerely appreciated . . .
    >
    > BobW.

    Usasma,
    Your response is MUCH more than I had hoped for. THANK YOU and I will take
    your advice.

    Thanks Again,
    BobW

    "usasma" wrote:

    > First, have you tried a repair install? It'll attempt to restore your system
    > without damaging your data or settings. Here's a link to a how-to:

    > and, just in case, here's a link to the complete clean install:
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > Please remember that it's very important to backup all your data if you
    > don't want to lose it. Backing up settings is optional as you can reset them
    > more easily. Generally speaking, you'll need to reinstall all of your
    > programs after the clean install.
    >
    > "BobW" wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a checklist out there I can use to uninstall/re-install Windows XP
    > > Pro and avoid as many foot wounds as possible?
    > >
    > > I am running XP Pro (SP2), IE 6.0.2900 SP2, OE 6.00.2900 SP2 on a HP nx9010
    > > notebook.
    > >
    > > My system was already "unstable". I'm sure at least partly due to my
    > > install and uninstall blunders. I have now become a victim of what McAfee
    > > refers to as the "corruption" of the McAfee Firewall. It may have aggravated
    > > existing problems, leaving me with the feeling that each action I take will
    > > be the last.
    > >
    > > I realize that re-installation is not recommended unless absolutely
    > > necessary. However, I feel it is inevitable and would like to make plans
    > > while I'm still able.
    > >
    > > I have my Installation Disk for XP Pro (SP1), and the disk for SP2. I can
    > > handle Non-Windows problems. But, have questions concerning the abilty to
    > > "restore" backups of favorites, settings, etc., from the e: drive (Omega HDD)
    > > or the use of the e: drive for the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard as a
    > > tool to save lessons learned.
    > >
    > > Any and all help will be sincerely appreciated . . .
    > >
    > > BobW.

    Good links, but there should be a warning #3 on the repair install
    page....Do NOT do a repair install if you have service pack 2 installed, and
    it was not included on your Windows CD. You MUST uninstall SP2 before a
    repair install unless, like I said, it was include on your disk.

    If you do an in-place upgrade (which is exactly the same as a repair install
    except done from the GUI), then it will give you a version error, but if you
    do the repair by booting from the cd (which is by far better) then it will
    let you do it over Sp2, which usually causes a boot loop after the repair is
    complete.

    In news:ueDPa5RiFHA.1788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Raztax <lol@yeahright.com> typed:

    > Good links, but there should be a warning #3 on the repair
    > install
    > page....Do NOT do a repair install if you have service pack 2
    > installed, and it was not included on your Windows CD. You MUST
    > uninstall SP2 before a repair install unless, like I said, it
    > was
    > include on your disk.

    Not true. Although you *can* do it by uninstalling SP2, it's much
    preferable to make a slipstreamed installation CD, including SP2.
    Read here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    At this point I would just go ahead and do a clean install. Back up all
    of your files/favorites etc and wipe the drive clean (as in, format it).
    Then do the reinstall of XP, and then immediately after the SP2. It is
    important to install SP2 quickly (within a day or two) because it does
    not interact with spyware well at all. I've had to deal with numerous
    blue screens for people trying to do windows update. The more I see
    questions like this, the more I think I should do some faq's on my
    site. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

    -Matt

    --
    matt_fleming

    matt_fleming,

    Thanks for the info on SP2. May avoid a serious foot wound. I've read about
    many problems related to the SP2 update but I had no problems at all. Will be
    more careful. Thanks again.

    BobW.

    > In news:ueDPa5RiFHA.1788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Raztax <lol@yeahright.com> typed:
    >
    > Not true. Although you *can* do it by uninstalling SP2, it's much
    > preferable to make a slipstreamed installation CD, including SP2. Read
    > here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    Right, but once it is slipstreamed, then it is on the disk. Untill that
    point, you need to uninstall it first.

Internet Explorer Windows XP