Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Melee Sorc

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 20, 2005 5:20:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I figured a
melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but 'been there, done
that'. Looking over the Runewords I was intrigued with Kingslayer and the
Vengeance it gives. This adds elemental damage to the attack, which I can
boost with points in the various Masteries. With 5 plus skills this will
give me L6 Vengeance which will add 100% Fire, Lightning and Cold damage.
Making Kingslayer in a Phase Blade will give an average damage of 115. This
will result in 2206 Lightning damage with L25 LM, and 1021 Fire damage with
L25 FM. And L17 CM to reduce cold resist by 100%. With an Enchant from
another character this adds several thousand more fire damage. The 30 IAS on
Kingslayer give an 11 frames attack with the phase Blade, 18 more IAS
reaches the minimum 10 frames. Another option would be a Dream helm for a
L15 Holy Shock Aura. Which with Mastery would add an average of another
thousand Lightning damage (19 min,2072 max). Of course I'll also have
Static, and I was thinking of a point in Frost Nova to slow down the crowds.
Does this sound viable?

So for base skills (assuming +5 from items):
12 Cold Mastery
20 Fire Mastery
20 Lightning Mastery
1 Static
1 Frost Nova
1 Teleport
1 Telekinesis
That's only 56 skills, so it leave room for more. What about the Cold
Armors, which one would be best for this build?

And then there's the whole question of Energy Shield, would it be a good
idea for this build? I could find an orb with ES or make a Memory staff for
buffing. Then I could put 20 points into Telekinesis. With a Gladiators
Bane, Dwarf Star and some other PDR/MDR items I could be pretty invulnerable
from non mana burners/poison attacks. The Phase Blade requires 136
Dexterity, so shield blocking seems to be a natural. And GB takes 111
Strength. So that doesn't leave a lot of ability points to pump Vitality and
still have enough Energy to support a big mana pool for ES. There is Insight
though to help alleviate the shortage of mana. What do you think of the
whole ES thing for this build in HC?

Or, I could go high resists and damage reduction instead.

I'm not sure how Vengeance works. If I get a Might merc, would the Might
increase my physical damage before the elemental damage from Vengeance is
added? If so this increases my damage output considerably.

So what do y'all think of this idea? And do you have any suggestions or
advise?

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

More about : melee sorc

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:18:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Mark wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I figured a
> melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but 'been there, done
> that'.

I think you'll need the chant for the AR. Vengeance won't give a high
enough AR boost for you. Creating a character that will rely on a chant
from another character well, I wouldn't like it but YMMV.
<snip>
> And then there's the whole question of Energy Shield, would it be a good idea for this build? I could find an orb with ES or make a Memory staff for
> buffing. Then I could put 20 points into Telekinesis. With a Gladiators
> Bane, Dwarf Star and some other PDR/MDR items I could be pretty invulnerable
> from non mana burners/poison attacks. The Phase Blade requires 136
> Dexterity, so shield blocking seems to be a natural. And GB takes 111
> Strength. So that doesn't leave a lot of ability points to pump Vitality and
> still have enough Energy to support a big mana pool for ES. There is Insight
> though to help alleviate the shortage of mana. What do you think of the
> whole ES thing for this build in HC?

I remember reading that ES on melee sorcs was never a good idea. Can't
really remember why. If you do, then I'd put most points into TK. You
acn pre-buff ES at lvl 16 pretty easily without spending a point in it,
giving a 70% ES I think. Of course, you are pretty much stuck with an
Insight weapon for your merc, not that that's a bad thing.

Chaliban
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:48:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Mark held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
acsDe.10533$SZ3.6346@trndny02 to this Interweb chatroom:

> I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I
> figured a melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but
> 'been there, done that'. Looking over the Runewords I was intrigued
> with Kingslayer and the Vengeance it gives. This adds elemental
> damage to the attack, which I can boost with points in the various
> Masteries. With 5 plus skills this will give me L6 Vengeance which
> will add 100% Fire, Lightning and Cold damage. Making Kingslayer in a
> Phase Blade will give an average damage of 115. This will result in
> 2206 Lightning damage with L25 LM, and 1021 Fire damage with L25 FM.
> And L17 CM to reduce cold resist by 100%. With an Enchant from
> another character this adds several thousand more fire damage. The 30
> IAS on Kingslayer give an 11 frames attack with the phase Blade, 18
> more IAS reaches the minimum 10 frames. Another option would be a
> Dream helm for a L15 Holy Shock Aura. Which with Mastery would add an
> average of another thousand Lightning damage (19 min,2072 max). Of
> course I'll also have Static, and I was thinking of a point in Frost
> Nova to slow down the crowds. Does this sound viable?
It does indeed. How sure are you on the math with the Masteries though?
Sound a bit low. Speed is something you're going to have to sacrifice with
this build, so possibly something a little bigger? Tiamat's would be an uber
shield for this build.
> So for base skills (assuming +5 from items):
> 12 Cold Mastery
> 20 Fire Mastery
> 20 Lightning Mastery
> 1 Static
> 1 Frost Nova
> 1 Teleport
> 1 Telekinesis
> That's only 56 skills, so it leave room for more. What about the Cold
> Armors, which one would be best for this build?
>
The middle one. Also, you could neglect Frost Nova if you went with a
Freezer merc. Put the extra points in Cold Mastery, FOrb, or even Static for
extra range.

> And then there's the whole question of Energy Shield, would it be a
> good idea for this build? I could find an orb with ES or make a
> Memory staff for buffing. Then I could put 20 points into
> Telekinesis. With a Gladiators Bane, Dwarf Star and some other
> PDR/MDR items I could be pretty invulnerable from non mana
> burners/poison attacks. The Phase Blade requires 136 Dexterity, so
> shield blocking seems to be a natural. And GB takes 111 Strength. So
> that doesn't leave a lot of ability points to pump Vitality and still
> have enough Energy to support a big mana pool for ES. There is
> Insight though to help alleviate the shortage of mana. What do you
> think of the whole ES thing for this build in HC?
Don't forget the insane lvl85 req on GladBane. ES is definitely doable, I
have a lvl77 ES Invulnasorc who, with buffs, has lvl 40 ES and around 1500
mana. She only dies to poison. Max Warmth, Insight merc and
Mages/Silkweaves, she regens so fast that burners are nothing.Plus, the mana
leech on her ring helps. If you'll be blocking too, be VERY careful, as you
need to offset the lack of NRG/Vit with charms and itamz, which in HC can be
scary. IF you get uber lucky like I was, give your merc an Infinity :) 


> Or, I could go high resists and damage reduction instead.
>
> I'm not sure how Vengeance works. If I get a Might merc, would the
> Might increase my physical damage before the elemental damage from
> Vengeance is added? If so this increases my damage output
> considerably.
> So what do y'all think of this idea? And do you have any suggestions
> or advise?
>
> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:59:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

chaliban wrote:

> I remember reading that ES on melee sorcs was never a good idea. Can't

I'm just guessing here. The lightning scarabs in Act 2 (and sometimes
WSK). With a standard, non melee Sorceress, it is quite easy to avoid
the lightning bolts that are released as they get struck. With a melee
Sorceress, I find it rather difficult if not impossible to take few
lightnings as you attack them. If they are minions of a Mana Burner
unique, their lightning bolts will burn mana too, correct? It's true
you'll have fast mana regeneration rate with Insight, Silkweave, and so
on, but your ES goes off the instant your mana drops to zero. The 1-2
seconds that elapse before you recast your ES could mean 1-2 seconds
too late.

Same goes for Black Souls that can see you before you see them. But
this is a problem not only for melee Sorceresses, but all Sorceresses
who rely exclusively on ES.

> really remember why. If you do, then I'd put most points into TK. You
> acn pre-buff ES at lvl 16 pretty easily without spending a point in it,
> giving a 70% ES I think. Of course, you are pretty much stuck with an
> Insight weapon for your merc, not that that's a bad thing.
>
> Chaliban
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:23:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Hi,

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in
news:acsDe.10533$SZ3.6346@trndny02:

> I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I
> figured a melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but
> 'been there, done that'. Looking over the Runewords I was intrigued
> with Kingslayer and the Vengeance it gives. This adds elemental damage
> to the attack, which I can boost with points in the various Masteries.
> With 5 plus skills this will give me L6 Vengeance which will add 100%
> Fire, Lightning and Cold damage. Making Kingslayer in a Phase Blade
> will give an average damage of 115. This will result in 2206 Lightning
> damage with L25 LM, and 1021 Fire damage with L25 FM. And L17 CM to
> reduce cold resist by 100%. With an Enchant from another character
> this adds several thousand more fire damage. The 30 IAS on Kingslayer
> give an 11 frames attack with the phase Blade, 18 more IAS reaches the
> minimum 10 frames. Another option would be a Dream helm for a L15 Holy
> Shock Aura. Which with Mastery would add an average of another
> thousand Lightning damage (19 min,2072 max). Of course I'll also have
> Static, and I was thinking of a point in Frost Nova to slow down the
> crowds. Does this sound viable?

how do you get these elemental damage numbers? 115 max damage gives 115
for each elemental damage. 400% LM would give you 575 light damage, 300%
FM would mean 460 fire damage.

You'll only leech from the 115 physical damage (* STR bonus), so even
100% life leech wouldn't cover for the hits you'll be taking.

I've never seen numbers on how much health/second a Rabbi merc will
recover, though..

And Vengeance elemental damage won't be boosted by a might merc, only the
weapon damage counts for this.

I'm currently building a Passion Enchantress going with Zeal attack. At
least she can enchant her Rabbi merc and ES with high mama regen might
build a good enough cover. And I don't think (anymore) she'll be able to
cut it..

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:28:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Mark wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I figured a
> melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but 'been there, done
> that'. Looking over the Runewords I was intrigued with Kingslayer and the
> Vengeance it gives. This adds elemental damage to the attack, which I can
> boost with points in the various Masteries. With 5 plus skills this will
> give me L6 Vengeance which will add 100% Fire, Lightning and Cold damage.
> Making Kingslayer in a Phase Blade will give an average damage of 115. This
> will result in 2206 Lightning damage with L25 LM, and 1021 Fire damage with
> L25 FM. And L17 CM to reduce cold resist by 100%. With an Enchant from
> another character this adds several thousand more fire damage. The 30 IAS on
> Kingslayer give an 11 frames attack with the phase Blade, 18 more IAS
> reaches the minimum 10 frames. Another option would be a Dream helm for a
> L15 Holy Shock Aura. Which with Mastery would add an average of another
> thousand Lightning damage (19 min,2072 max). Of course I'll also have
> Static, and I was thinking of a point in Frost Nova to slow down the crowds.
> Does this sound viable?
>
> So for base skills (assuming +5 from items):
> 12 Cold Mastery
> 20 Fire Mastery
> 20 Lightning Mastery
> 1 Static
> 1 Frost Nova
> 1 Teleport
> 1 Telekinesis
> That's only 56 skills, so it leave room for more. What about the Cold
> Armors, which one would be best for this build?
>
> And then there's the whole question of Energy Shield, would it be a good
> idea for this build? I could find an orb with ES or make a Memory staff for
> buffing. Then I could put 20 points into Telekinesis. With a Gladiators
> Bane, Dwarf Star and some other PDR/MDR items I could be pretty invulnerable
> from non mana burners/poison attacks. The Phase Blade requires 136
> Dexterity, so shield blocking seems to be a natural. And GB takes 111
> Strength. So that doesn't leave a lot of ability points to pump Vitality and
> still have enough Energy to support a big mana pool for ES. There is Insight
> though to help alleviate the shortage of mana. What do you think of the
> whole ES thing for this build in HC?
>
> Or, I could go high resists and damage reduction instead.
>
> I'm not sure how Vengeance works. If I get a Might merc, would the Might
> increase my physical damage before the elemental damage from Vengeance is
> added? If so this increases my damage output considerably.
>
> So what do y'all think of this idea? And do you have any suggestions or
> advise?
>
> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury

Sounds exciting. What type of character would go well with this? Would
my throw barb work well with her? He might actually be a wimp since he
will only have one point plus plusses in BO and shout. But his level
20+ Howl will keep the crowds away so that a "kill them one or two at a
time" approach might work well.

Out of curiosity, what purpose does the TK serve? I take everybody's
word that it does do something here, I jsut don;t know what it is.

Cheers

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:45:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121948907.009712.52820@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

>
> Sounds exciting. What type of character would go well with this? Would
> my throw barb work well with her? He might actually be a wimp since he
> will only have one point plus plusses in BO and shout. But his level
> 20+ Howl will keep the crowds away so that a "kill them one or two at a
> time" approach might work well.
>

Now that you mention it, a Shockwave Bear or Warcry Barb would be the
perfect sidekick for this build.


short



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:18:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I think it was "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> that wrote
something like...

>
>
>Mark wrote:
>> I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I figured a
>> melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but 'been there, done
>> that'. Looking over the Runewords I was intrigued with Kingslayer and the
>> Vengeance it gives. This adds elemental damage to the attack, which I can
>> boost with points in the various Masteries. With 5 plus skills this will
>> give me L6 Vengeance which will add 100% Fire, Lightning and Cold damage.
>> Making Kingslayer in a Phase Blade will give an average damage of 115. This
>> will result in 2206 Lightning damage with L25 LM, and 1021 Fire damage with
>> L25 FM. And L17 CM to reduce cold resist by 100%. With an Enchant from
>> another character this adds several thousand more fire damage. The 30 IAS on
>> Kingslayer give an 11 frames attack with the phase Blade, 18 more IAS
>> reaches the minimum 10 frames. Another option would be a Dream helm for a
>> L15 Holy Shock Aura. Which with Mastery would add an average of another
>> thousand Lightning damage (19 min,2072 max). Of course I'll also have
>> Static, and I was thinking of a point in Frost Nova to slow down the crowds.
>> Does this sound viable?
>>
>> So for base skills (assuming +5 from items):
>> 12 Cold Mastery
>> 20 Fire Mastery
>> 20 Lightning Mastery
>> 1 Static
>> 1 Frost Nova
>> 1 Teleport
>> 1 Telekinesis
>> That's only 56 skills, so it leave room for more. What about the Cold
>> Armors, which one would be best for this build?
>>
>> And then there's the whole question of Energy Shield, would it be a good
>> idea for this build? I could find an orb with ES or make a Memory staff for
>> buffing. Then I could put 20 points into Telekinesis. With a Gladiators
>> Bane, Dwarf Star and some other PDR/MDR items I could be pretty invulnerable
>> from non mana burners/poison attacks. The Phase Blade requires 136
>> Dexterity, so shield blocking seems to be a natural. And GB takes 111
>> Strength. So that doesn't leave a lot of ability points to pump Vitality and
>> still have enough Energy to support a big mana pool for ES. There is Insight
>> though to help alleviate the shortage of mana. What do you think of the
>> whole ES thing for this build in HC?
>>
>> Or, I could go high resists and damage reduction instead.
>>
>> I'm not sure how Vengeance works. If I get a Might merc, would the Might
>> increase my physical damage before the elemental damage from Vengeance is
>> added? If so this increases my damage output considerably.
>>
>> So what do y'all think of this idea? And do you have any suggestions or
>> advise?
>>
>> Regards-
>> Mark
>>
>> Bongo-Fury
>
>Sounds exciting. What type of character would go well with this? Would
>my throw barb work well with her? He might actually be a wimp since he
>will only have one point plus plusses in BO and shout. But his level
>20+ Howl will keep the crowds away so that a "kill them one or two at a
>time" approach might work well.
>
>Out of curiosity, what purpose does the TK serve? I take everybody's
>word that it does do something here, I jsut don;t know what it is.
>
>Cheers
>
>Orion Ryder

It synergises the Energy Shield. I don't know the numbers, but as I
understand it, with only the 1 hard point in Telekinesis, 1 physical
damage gets translated to 10 points of mana. With lots of hard points
in telekinesis it gets translated to only 1 point in mana. The
numbers are wrong there, but it gives you the general idea.

Ashen Shugar
--
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
July 21, 2005 8:49:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D bmbri$c85$05$1@news.t-online.com...
>
> how do you get these elemental damage numbers? 115 max damage gives 115
> for each elemental damage. 400% LM would give you 575 light damage, 300%
> FM would mean 460 fire damage.

Reading some build guides, they all say that Masteries count double. So at
L25, Lm gives +338%, which means 4.38*4.38=19.2. With 115 average Ltg damage
that means around 2200 lightning damage.

> You'll only leech from the 115 physical damage (* STR bonus), so even
> 100% life leech wouldn't cover for the hits you'll be taking.

Well, with ES and/or high defense (defiance and cold armor) the plan is not
to take a lot of damage.

> I'm currently building a Passion Enchantress going with Zeal attack. At
> least she can enchant her Rabbi merc and ES with high mama regen might
> build a good enough cover. And I don't think (anymore) she'll be able to
> cut it..

Actually, your Passion Sorc is what got me thinking about this build.

I'll have Enchant available on my second computer, so that was another thing
that got me onto this build. Enchant without having to invest the points.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 21, 2005 8:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:REzDe.63315$Ph4.1956863@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

> Tiamat's would be an uber shield for this build.

I looked at Tiamat's. But I think I'm going to need something with better
blocking. I might use it in NM, but come Hell blocking will be vital.

> The middle one. Also, you could neglect Frost Nova if you went with a
> Freezer merc. Put the extra points in Cold Mastery, FOrb, or even Static
> for extra range.

I figured FN was a one point wonder. A HF merc would be nice, but the more I
think about it I'm going to need Defiance and a clod armor to keep from
getting hammered.

> Don't forget the insane lvl85 req on GladBane. ES is definitely doable, I
> have a lvl77 ES Invulnasorc who, with buffs, has lvl 40 ES and around 1500
> mana. She only dies to poison. Max Warmth, Insight merc and
> Mages/Silkweaves, she regens so fast that burners are nothing.Plus, the
> mana leech on her ring helps. If you'll be blocking too, be VERY careful,
> as you need to offset the lack of NRG/Vit with charms and itamz, which in
> HC can be scary. IF you get uber lucky like I was, give your merc an
> Infinity :) 

Damn, forgot about those level requirements. She won't be able to wear GB
till she's about finished. Maybe Iron Pelt then, but probably just go with a
Shaftstop.

I'm very leery about ES with HC. It will work great most of the time. But
then I'll start depending on it, and with HC that usually results in
'deeds'.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 21, 2005 8:49:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121897896.371189.24310@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> I think you'll need the chant for the AR. Vengeance won't give a high
> enough AR boost for you. Creating a character that will rely on a chant
> from another character well, I wouldn't like it but YMMV.

Not a big deal, my second computer is right at hand. And I'll have another
character there to loot any way.

> I remember reading that ES on melee sorcs was never a good idea. Can't
> really remember why.

Mana Burn, ghosts, gloams, poison ...

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 21, 2005 8:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121948907.009712.52820@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> Out of curiosity, what purpose does the TK serve? I take everybody's
> word that it does do something here, I jsut don;t know what it is.

For each point of damage eliminated by ES, two points of mana are
subtracted. For each hard point in Telekinesis this is reduced by 1/16 of a
point. So with 16 in Tk the damage:mana reduction is 1:1, and with the max
20 it is 1:( .75). Additional points in ES increase the % of damage
converted.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:50:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:ZmQDe.12857$xe3.8785@trndny09...
> "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1121948907.009712.52820@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > Out of curiosity, what purpose does the TK serve? I take everybody's
> > word that it does do something here, I jsut don;t know what it is.
>
> For each point of damage eliminated by ES, two points of mana are
> subtracted. For each hard point in Telekinesis this is reduced by 1/16 of
a
> point. So with 16 in Tk the damage:mana reduction is 1:1, and with the max
> 20 it is 1:( .75). Additional points in ES increase the % of damage
> converted.

TK is useless these, given the simply incredible mana pools you can build on
a sorc these days :) 

Mickey
July 21, 2005 9:11:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:AsKdnd_ySvdWT0LfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>
> TK is useless these, given the simply incredible mana pools you can build
> on
> a sorc these days :) 

Many people think Insight is an over powered Runeword. But I'm glad it's
around, because it opens up some unusual/underpowered builds. Given the
limitations of the character I'm proposing (not enough points to spare to
have high Energy), Insight is the only thing that would make ES viable for
me.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:31:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Hi,

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in
news:ymQDe.20736$ij3.6394@trndny06:

>
> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> news:D bmbri$c85$05$1@news.t-online.com...
>>
>> how do you get these elemental damage numbers? 115 max damage gives
>> 115 for each elemental damage. 400% LM would give you 575 light
>> damage, 300% FM would mean 460 fire damage.
>
> Reading some build guides, they all say that Masteries count double.
> So at L25, Lm gives +338%, which means 4.38*4.38=19.2. With 115
> average Ltg damage that means around 2200 lightning damage.

that could be right for FM/Enchant, but I don't really believe in this
muliplication - I'll read up on it.
If it really works this way, pack a bunch of lightning damage small
charms. 4 charms could amount to 110 max light damage, another 2.2k
lightning.
And cold charms, 4 will freeze enemies for a second.
>
>> You'll only leech from the 115 physical damage (* STR bonus), so even
>> 100% life leech wouldn't cover for the hits you'll be taking.
>
> Well, with ES and/or high defense (defiance and cold armor) the plan
> is not to take a lot of damage.

I'd at least get 800ish life - if anything serious breaks through your
defenses, you'll be dead before you know it..

> I'll have Enchant available on my second computer, so that was another
> thing that got me onto this build. Enchant without having to invest
> the points.

A BO/Shout barb might be more helpful. I've tried this with my Meteorb
(and she does very well without this help), and she's a real tank with
this help. About 1500 life/mana and 8K-10K defense (don't remember
exactly) paired with ES/Insight makes her nearly unkillable.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:39:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Ashen Shugar held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
42dfae52.10812031@news-server.bigpond.net.au to this Interweb chatroom:

> I think it was "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> that wrote
> something like...
>
>>
>>
>> Mark wrote:
>>>
>> Sounds exciting. What type of character would go well with this?
>> Would my throw barb work well with her? He might actually be a wimp
>> since he will only have one point plus plusses in BO and shout. But
>> his level 20+ Howl will keep the crowds away so that a "kill them
>> one or two at a time" approach might work well.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what purpose does the TK serve? I take everybody's
>> word that it does do something here, I jsut don;t know what it is.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Orion Ryder
>
> It synergises the Energy Shield. I don't know the numbers, but as I
> understand it, with only the 1 hard point in Telekinesis, 1 physical
> damage gets translated to 10 points of mana. With lots of hard points
> in telekinesis it gets translated to only 1 point in mana. The
> numbers are wrong there, but it gives you the general idea.
>
16 is the magic number. In case anyone cares, at lvl 40 the conversion % is
around 95%.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:46:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Mark schrieb:
> I'm looking to build a new character, something different. So I figured a
> melee Sorc. Most such characters are based on Enchant, but 'been there, done
> that'. Looking over the Runewords I was intrigued with Kingslayer and the
> Vengeance it gives. This adds elemental damage to the attack, which I can
> boost with points in the various Masteries. With 5 plus skills this will
> give me L6 Vengeance which will add 100% Fire, Lightning and Cold damage.
> Making Kingslayer in a Phase Blade will give an average damage of 115. This
> will result in 2206 Lightning damage with L25 LM, and 1021 Fire damage with
> L25 FM. And L17 CM to reduce cold resist by 100%. With an Enchant from
> another character this adds several thousand more fire damage. The 30 IAS on
> Kingslayer give an 11 frames attack with the phase Blade, 18 more IAS
> reaches the minimum 10 frames. Another option would be a Dream helm for a
> L15 Holy Shock Aura. Which with Mastery would add an average of another
> thousand Lightning damage (19 min,2072 max). Of course I'll also have
> Static, and I was thinking of a point in Frost Nova to slow down the crowds.
> Does this sound viable?

I'm quite sure that your lightning damage calculation is wrong. Only FM
counts twice, not LM.

Lvl 6 Frost Nova gives a duration of 13 seconds in Normal and just 3
seconds in Hell. Not very long. But maybe still usefull.

> So for base skills (assuming +5 from items):
> 12 Cold Mastery
> 20 Fire Mastery
> 20 Lightning Mastery
> 1 Static
> 1 Frost Nova
> 1 Teleport
> 1 Telekinesis
> That's only 56 skills, so it leave room for more. What about the Cold
> Armors, which one would be best for this build?

20 Enchant. To boost attack rating mainly.
Which cold armor? The one that gives the most defence.

> And then there's the whole question of Energy Shield, would it be a good
> idea for this build? I could find an orb with ES or make a Memory staff for
> buffing. Then I could put 20 points into Telekinesis. With a Gladiators
> Bane, Dwarf Star and some other PDR/MDR items I could be pretty invulnerable
> from non mana burners/poison attacks. The Phase Blade requires 136
> Dexterity, so shield blocking seems to be a natural. And GB takes 111
> Strength. So that doesn't leave a lot of ability points to pump Vitality and
> still have enough Energy to support a big mana pool for ES. There is Insight
> though to help alleviate the shortage of mana. What do you think of the
> whole ES thing for this build in HC?

I played a HC melee sorc in the early days of 1.10 without ES. But those
were the days where Insight was not available yet. So I can only say
that it's possible to do it without ES.

> Or, I could go high resists and damage reduction instead.

Max resists are mandantory anyway. DR is always good to have.

> I'm not sure how Vengeance works. If I get a Might merc, would the Might
> increase my physical damage before the elemental damage from Vengeance is
> added? If so this increases my damage output considerably.

No. I'm sorry.

> So what do y'all think of this idea? And do you have any suggestions or
> advise?

Sounds very interresting. And very challenging in HC. My melee sorc was
based on as much physical damage and life leech as possible in the end.
I think that the lack of life (and mana) leech is the biggest drawback
of your approach.

---
Hannes

PS: A guide for an Axe Avenger sorc using a Decapitator (!) can be found
here:
http://bredtokill.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi?action=dis...
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:47:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:11:59 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote:

>> "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:AsKdnd_ySvdWT0LfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>> >
>> > TK is useless these, given the simply incredible mana pools you can build
>> > on
>> > a sorc these days :) 
>>
>> Many people think Insight is an over powered Runeword. But I'm glad it's
>> around, because it opens up some unusual/underpowered builds. Given the
>> limitations of the character I'm proposing (not enough points to spare to
>> have high Energy), Insight is the only thing that would make ES viable for
>> me.
>>
>> Regards-
>> Mark
>>
>> Bongo-Fury

I'd also suggest that Insight is Blizzards' apology for having so damned
many ManaBurn monsters, and minions carrying their master's attributes.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:gvc0e1tbail0858bu600vcms2bgpa5h8jt@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:11:59 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >> "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> news:AsKdnd_ySvdWT0LfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> >> >
> >> > TK is useless these, given the simply incredible mana pools you can
build
> >> > on
> >> > a sorc these days :) 
> >>
> >> Many people think Insight is an over powered Runeword. But I'm glad
it's
> >> around, because it opens up some unusual/underpowered builds. Given the
> >> limitations of the character I'm proposing (not enough points to spare
to
> >> have high Energy), Insight is the only thing that would make ES viable
for
> >> me.
> >>
> >> Regards-
> >> Mark
> >>
> >> Bongo-Fury
>
> I'd also suggest that Insight is Blizzards' apology for having so damned
> many ManaBurn monsters, and minions carrying their master's attributes.

Yes, for sorcs, druids and assassins. But in the hands of a necro's merc or
a high ES sorc, it can lead to near invincibility.

Mickey
July 26, 2005 3:45:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:acsDe.10533$SZ3.6346@trndny02...

An update:
Started the melee Sorc, used Chant & Raven through normal. Equipped Shaft,
Rock and String for 50% DR, Sigons gloves and boots, Rings and Ammy for
resists and leech, and a Tiamat's and Spirit sword for offense. Breezed
through early NM, melee the whole way. Most things dying in one shot, bosses
within a few. Even with 30% LL I was drinking like a fish. But no real close
calls. Made it to the council in A3 and led them out one at a time to avoid
getting swamped. The last one was FE, but I had killed at least a half dozen
FE bosses without a problem. So I engaged him face to face, and he went
right down. But, pop, deeds (L50). Lesson learned.

The replacement is in her high 40's, with the same gear, just making it to
A3. Of course no more tanking FE bosses. I have one point in the first cold
armor and teleport. Fire and Ltg Masteries are at 18 and CM is at 11.

While looking through mules for gear, I came across a Glimmershred flying
axe. Incredible elemental damage. It'll be a lot slower than the Kingslayer
axe I was going to use. But I figure its at least worth a try when I make it
to Hell.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 26, 2005 7:03:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
news:42e5940b$1@news.orcon.net.nz...
>
> Sorry to hear that. I believe there are FE's and then there are FE's....

Yeah, I know better. But I got sloppy. You know how it is, when you're
running along, one hit killing everything. You don't always have time to
read the mods, and you don't know they're FE until you see the death plop.
So after going through a few of those without a scratch, I got cocky. But
like you said, the Councilors are a different story. Ah well, HC play
punishes you when you get sloppy. Once again, I have to (re)learn things the
hard way.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 26, 2005 7:34:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Shaun-

Found the Marrows and Homo you wanted. I put them on AGD-Eight on the
agdhc/chdga account.

I'm rebuilding my MF Sorc. Unfortunately I lost all her gear. If you have
any of the following I'd be appreciative:
Change Guard gloves
MF Ammy (I could trade you a +3 PnB/35% MF one in return)
Wizzardspike (I had a bunch of them but must have traded/given them all
away)
Gheeds charm (lost both of mine with the 2 Sorcs)

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:59:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> Chris Lansdell wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> alt.religion.kibology?
>>
>>
>> Crossposting to a group none of us are interested in Jabber? (Or at least if
>> we are we can find it ourselves). I think there's enough crossposting around
>> here for now.

Definitely!

From now on, only Happy Posting, no more cross posting!
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:25:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Sliver wrote:

> I got one with 48% so I think it can go as high as 50.

50% is indeed as high as it goes.
40% is the highest on a ring, if someone is interested in that
information.

>
> --
> In a World full of Insanity
> Here I Stand.
> Sliver
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:18:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
news:42e6ee50$1@news.orcon.net.nz...
> Chris Lansdell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> alt.religion.kibology?
>
>
> Crossposting to a group none of us are interested in Jabber? (Or at least
> if we are we can find it ourselves). I think there's enough crossposting
> around here for now.
> --

None of us? Sure about that?

I am VERY interested in it, and there's at least one lurker here who posts
there. Besides, that was definitely Kibological.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:18:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Chris Lansdell" <clansdell@your.nf.clothes.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:42e6ee50$1@news.orcon.net.nz...
> > Chris Lansdell wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > alt.religion.kibology?
> >
> >
> > Crossposting to a group none of us are interested in Jabber? (Or at least
> > if we are we can find it ourselves). I think there's enough crossposting
> > around here for now.
> > --
>
> None of us? Sure about that?
>
> I am VERY interested in it, and there's at least one lurker here who posts
> there. Besides, that was definitely Kibological.

There's also at least one lurker here who lurks there.

RelMark
July 28, 2005 6:05:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
news:42e6ef5b@news.orcon.net.nz...
>
>> MF Ammy (I could trade you a +3 PnB/35% MF one in return)
>
> I don't even have a 35% MF ammy. How good can you get? The best I have is
> 33%.

I think 35% is the best on a blue. I lost a 35% MF/20% resist all on my
MFer. Other than the one above the best I have is 14% with some resists.

>> Wizzardspike (I had a bunch of them but must have traded/given them
>> all away)
>
> Yeah, I think I have one. It will be on the mule later if I do.

Thx much, 17 more levels till I can use it now.

>> Gheeds charm (lost both of mine with the 2 Sorcs)
>
> I still haven't found a Gheeds myself. I found heaps in SC.

I should have had the second one muled away. But till recently the Mage was
my highest level. So I gave her the second Gheeds to go with that runeword
bow so she could be my designated gambler. It was nice to get ammies for
40k.

> I still owe you.

Nope, you don't owe me anything. If anything, pay the good deed forward.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
July 28, 2005 6:05:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:54XFe.1541$1E.497@trndny04...
>
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:42e6ef5b@news.orcon.net.nz...
>>
>>> MF Ammy (I could trade you a +3 PnB/35% MF one in return)
>>
>> I don't even have a 35% MF ammy. How good can you get? The best I have is
>> 33%.
>
> I think 35% is the best on a blue. I lost a 35% MF/20% resist all on my
> MFer. Other than the one above the best I have is 14% with some resists.
<snip>

I got one with 48% so I think it can go as high as 50.

--
In a World full of Insanity
Here I Stand.
Sliver
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:44:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> "Kibologists crosspost constantly. My favorite group to crosspost to is
> alt.starfleet. Why? No reason, that's just another part of Kibology! Also,
> new users occasionally stumble in and ask "Who is Kibo" and "What is
> Kibology" and other such questions. NEVER give them a straight answer.
> That's 90% of the fun of being a Kibologist! Most of the time these
> questions end up being long-lasting threads with each post offering a
> completely different (and totally incorrect) answer."
>
> From:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6270/kibo.html

Just wanted to note that, according to that user's home page,
the Kibology page was last updated more than eight years ago.
Much of the information there is obsolete, including at least
part of the quote above. This doesn't necessarily affect the
validity of your other arguments (that I snipped), of course.

RelMark
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:46:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
<snip>
> Ok, noted, thanks. I just put Kibology and crosspost into Google and that
> was close to the top of the list. In fact I think it *was* at the top of the
> list.

A quite reasonable choice, then.

> How about this, from a little further down the list:
<snip quote>
> That's from: http://www.steveospage.com/blog/index.php?pb=1&p=999 and is
> dated Feb '04.

That seems to match a bit more closely what I've seen from a.r.k.

RelMark
!