wireless card not receiving IP address

I have a co-worker who just purchased a Dlink DI-624 along with a
wireless card (also Dlink). After trying to get it to work, he called
me (in another state) to help him out.

Pretty basic situation. Cable modem goes into Router. Has a desktop
hard wired into the router. He ran the router setup wizard, and
everything looks good. (I had him go through it again while I was on
the phone). Did an ipconfig on the desktop and numbers are good.

Laptop is a different story. For whatever reason, he's not getting the
right IP. It's giving him the 169.254.x.x I've tried everything I
could think of (sure would be easier if I could see it). It shows he's
getting a strong signal and he sees the ssid. (for now I haven't set
up encryption. I want it wide open until we get this fixed).

I had him bring the laptop to work, because I know in his office he
can pick up a stray signal from at least 2 wlans. He can see them, he
connects, but again gets the 169.254.x.x So, that shows me the
problem is with the card, and not the router.

He's going to call Dlink tech support, but I'm hoping to get an answer
sooner.

Any ideas?

Steve Battles wrote:
> I have a co-worker who just purchased a Dlink DI-624 along with a
> wireless card (also Dlink). After trying to get it to work, he called
> me (in another state) to help him out.
>
> Pretty basic situation. Cable modem goes into Router. Has a desktop
> hard wired into the router. He ran the router setup wizard, and
> everything looks good. (I had him go through it again while I was on
> the phone). Did an ipconfig on the desktop and numbers are good.
>
> Laptop is a different story. For whatever reason, he's not getting the
> right IP. It's giving him the 169.254.x.x I've tried everything I
> could think of (sure would be easier if I could see it). It shows he's
> getting a strong signal and he sees the ssid. (for now I haven't set
> up encryption. I want it wide open until we get this fixed).
>
> I had him bring the laptop to work, because I know in his office he
> can pick up a stray signal from at least 2 wlans. He can see them, he
> connects, but again gets the 169.254.x.x So, that shows me the
> problem is with the card, and not the router.
>
> He's going to call Dlink tech support, but I'm hoping to get an answer
> sooner.
>
> Any ideas?

If the Dlink management application is running at startup, it can
conflict with WZC. It's one or the other. As a last resort, make sure
TCP/IP filtering is turned off in the advanced TCP/IP properties, and
Google for lspfix.exe and winsockxpfix.exe. Both can fix corrupted
layered services and winsock.

With XP Service pack 2 installed, run the new Wireless connection wizard.
It's very good and easy to use. It helped a couple of my friends get set up
in a couple of minutes.