Asus A7V8X-X vs MSI KT4 ULTRA

vazquezjm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Greetings from Argentina!

I'm about to buy a new mobo+CPU and I have to options:

1) Asus A7V8X-X + Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
2) MSI KT4 ULTRA + Athlon XP 1700+ T-Bred

The salesperson told me that system #2 will perform better that #1 (?!). He said he has a "special" Athlon 1700 CPU that combined with MSI mobo will run at least at the same speed as the other system with less $$.

What do you think/suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
are you sure the salesman did not confuze special and overclocked? LOL he is fulla [-peep-]...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

vazquezjm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
OK, what if it's overclocked? (maybe it is)...

Which one should I buy?

I don't know much about overclocking, the only thing I know is I need a lot of 'fresh air' to keep the CPU cold ;-)

Thnx!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
lol...i would go for the 2500...ask the seller if the system is overclocked...if so i would not buy it...i would perfer to do the tweaking on my own...

The fact that it seems that he may be trying to hide the fact that it is overclocked is a little disturbing to me and frankly it is illegal...if the system is indeed overclocked...i think you should go to a seller you can trust...

Either way...it depends how far it is clocked...a 1700+ at 2.0 - 2.1 ghz with 266mhz fsb should be about equal to a 2500...1900-2000mhz with 333mhz fsb would also equal a barton 2500...and 1850-1900 at 400mhz fsb would equal a 2500 too...i would go for the 2500 still....you can overclock it on your own...

Also...for a few more bux you could get an nforce 2 board that will have much better driver support and top of the line performance...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

vazquezjm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Hmmmm... I'll go with A7V8X-X...

A7N8X (nForce2) is too expensive for me (about $100 more) :-(

Thanks for your advice!

pat

Expert
Or you could check the SOLTEK SL-NV400-L64 motherboard. It's nforce2 mobo that just dont have the dual channel memory controller and it is as fast if not faster than the a7n8x, according to some benchmark. And it is priced very good too!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

vazquezjm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Finaly I got an Abit NF7-S and again the salesman told me that it will be better to add an overcloked XP 1700 ($75) than an XP2500 Barton ($135), the memory will be sync'ed with the CPU, blah, blah...

Which one should I choose? I don't want to get and 'old' system (or CPU) when I can get at new one (or at least more advanced technology). Besides that, I could save $60 that could go to a better cooling system...

I'm again on the beginning :-(

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
If i were u i wud stick with the Barton. Its worth the extra money.

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
If i were u i wud stick with the Barton. Its worth the extra money. And u cud use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU unless u want to overclock...

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>